Gathering 8.0 [and leather apron(s)]

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Groovy

I might be able to make this one. I might even convince the little woman to take a couple days off from teaching to make the trip, if there's Ben & Jerry's involved. I'm going to be changing jobs soon, so I'll have to see what sort of vacation arrangements I can make at the new one.

Jay, LT?

Hey,

Is there any interest in a Jay / Big Jay hike or Long Trail terminus / Journey's End that weekend?

If I haven't done so before then, I could potentially be finishing the 100 Highest and/or the Long Trail at that time.

I'll definitely be there. I'm also trying to convince Dave to come... the only state highpoint I've done that he hasn't (so far) is Mt. Mansfield, so I'd like to hike that one.

Tom: I'd be up for hiking Mendon too.

- Ivy

Chomp, Love Wagon is definitely choice #1! But you'd need room for 2 as Lisa is joining me. Let me know. By September, I should have plenty of stories, and lots of bad music :) Either way is fine - we could always do the Love Caravan :eek:

As for hiking: yes, I'd like to do some :cool:

Last edited:
Moving the thread to the top(ic)

Gathering 8.0 Update:

I visited Gold Brook Campground on June 5 and met John and Mary Nichol. The group site where we will be located is seen behind Geri in the first photo shown in bobandgeri's post on the first page of this thread. Unfortunately, my camera was on a tour of Ben and Jerry's and I don't have any more pictures. It is much larger than what we had last year in the Catskills. Across the road on the left in the picture are additional wooded tent sites that we may also be able to use, depending on how full the campground is. I will double-check this with the Nichols.

In talking with Mary, I repeated the rate I was quoted of $6.00 + tax per night. John said it was now $7.00. "Nope," said Mary, "I told him $6.00." $6.00 it is.

The campground is about 7 miles north of Ben and Jerry's right on Rt. 100 and about 1.5 miles south of Stowe village. Excellent!!

The rest room shown in the picture has 2 each men's and women's showers, toilets and sinks. The other rest room has 3 each and is about a 3-4 minute walk away near the pool and the office. There is a laundry area in both rest room buildings. (Coin-op, I assume). I didn't have time to check out the facilities, but will take Bob's word that they are clean.

There will be a group of trailer/RVs the weekend we are there but the group site is separate from the full hookup (water/electric/sewer) sites. Hopefully, there won't be a strain on the rest rooms.

Both water and electricity are on the site. There WILL be coffee available early, promise. BTW, if you didn't have the pleasure of being aroused from a deep sleep at 3:30 AM the day of the Escarpment hike by extra-worldly grunting, snorting, gurgling sounds, it WAS my fault but NOT my snoring that time. It was the coffee maker.

Wood and ice are available.

Campground rules, nothing unusual:

Speed limit 5 mph. (See below.)

Pets allowed, on leash, pickuppoop.

Trash, use dumpster nearby.

Water, no vehicle washing.

Showers, not after 10:00 PM or in late morning for cleaning.

Visitors must check in. (I don't know if there is a charge.)

Check-out is 12:30 PM.

Swimming is okay in the brook, the river and pool (if it's open then) at your own risk!! No lifeguards. No glass containers in pool area.

Fire, no bonfires allowed. (This may be a challenge to some pyrotechnophiles. I'll have to find out what makes a fire a bonfire.) There are established fire rings. Don't move them.

Noise, "reasonable". (Guess that depends on who you ask, eh?)

No digging or cutting trees.

Alcohol, don't abuse this privilege. (Would we?? 'Course not.)

"This campground is policed by the owner and Stowe Police Dept." (Large belt buckles, Barney Fife and WR's? Yikes!! Shudder!!)

The Shed sounds ideal for Friday's dinner. I have a copy of the menu. There are full dinners (seafood, poultry, beef and pork) available ($15-$20) as well as a more "pubbish" menu of burgers, fish 'n chips, ribs, fried chicken, shepard's pie, chili ($7-$12). I haven't spoken with them yet, but it might be possible to put together a menu from the pub selections with some appetizers thrown in and keep the price reasonable ($20 or so, with tip). What does everyone think on this? And they have a microbrewery, what more do we need? Another possibility for dinner is Town & Country Resort. It was recommended by John Nichol. Both restaurants are on Mountain Road, Rt. 108, just a few minutes away from the campground. Early returns seem to favor The Shed. Sounds good to me. I'll call them soon.

That's all for now. I'll keep everyone updated as things get firmed up.

teejay

Last edited:
My thoughts on the rules...

teejay said:
Gathering 8.0 Update:

...Fire, no bonfires allowed. (This may be a challenge to some pyrotechnophiles. I'll have to find out what makes a fire a bonfire.) There are established fire rings. Don't move them.

Noise, "reasonable". (Guess that depends on who you ask, eh?)

Alcohol, don't abuse this privilege. (Would we?? 'Course not.)...

Fire?

Megaphone?

Drinking?

I know nothing... :p

Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed Shed !!!!

Mountain Ale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

They offer us electricity to power a huge amplifier, then say to keep the music down? Heresy!

Friday dinner sounds yummy, but so does a sunset hike of Sunset Ridge up Mansfield.

Either way, I'll be there (and with electricity I'm leaving the big Coleman über-lantern at home).

Thank-you, Teejay, for being our cruise director!!!
:)

The Shed for dinner (LWL)

I just talked to Joanne at the Shed to arrange our group Friday night dinner for the Gathering. Joanne said that unfortunately they were closing on Labor Day and won't reopen until October 1. They have sold all their microbrew equipment to a start-up microbrew in Middlebury and will be doing extensive remodelling and converting to an upscale Continental cuisine. They were having a hard time making it just selling burgers and beer and feel they have a better opportunity attracting the affluent connoisseurs who appreciate fine French cooking and $200 bottles of wine.

HeHeHe. Couldn't resist. Just kidding.

We ARE on the Shed's schedule for dinner Friday, September 16. They are working on a new menu with some changes from the copy I have, but they're not major. Most of the pub-type menu will be about the same since "that is what the Shed is about." Any feedback from you who're planning to be there regarding menu suggestions would be appreciated. Do you favor pub stuff with appetizers, etc. or complete dinners? Just want to please as many as possible.

teejay

Last edited:
teejay said:
HeHeHe. Couldn't resist. Just kidding.

teejay

OH that was NOT funny. I was just in a state of shock. If I had a heart attack I would have either sued you or came back from the grave to haunt you. You just can't mess with the Shed. What is Stowe without Mountain Ale?

Damn, I am not kidding, you just freaked me out.

Pub food is fine. Beer is better.

- darren

ps: you are an evil, evil man :eek:

Watch out Tee Jay! Darren might boot you off the site!! :eek:

Pub food works for moi. Mmmm, beer.

I might have to alter plans somewhat. Turns out I'm supposed to be in the Mahoosucs Saturday. Maybe I'll try to drop in and spend Saturday night, if there is room for me to crash.

No promises but, I'm gonna try to have my cake and eat it too... Mmmmm... cake...

It IS a tough call though, spend Sunday with VFTTers or in Mahoosuc Notch... :confused: