Gathering 8.5 - narrowing it down

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your choice for Gathering 8.5 accommodations?

• White Wolf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tea Pond Camps

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Cupsuptic Campground

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Go back to the drawing board (i.e. find another region)

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters
I think that GO's place would be fantastic! I would gladly chip in some money to help out.

BTW, I also want to say "thanks" to my friends here who have PMed me and have offered so graciously to let me borrow some of their extra equipment. Thank you for understanding my situation and offering to help. You guys are the best! :)

GO, awesome gesture to host the gathering at your place! I just hope you know what your getting yourself into…

I also am willing to chip in on a couple of port-a-potty rentals. We all can't be constantly be going in an out of your house to use the john, and we certainly can't leave our names pee'd in the snow all over your yard…

Suebiscuit, bathing in the snow???? Now that's just plain crazy! What are you thinking girl? The Carrabasset River runs right by GO's property, and all we have to do is chop a hole in the ice to bathe… :D

Regarding the GO plan...As Zakk Wylde says..."Ohhh Yeaahhh!" (In a rock'n roll voice). I'm setting aside some money for the porta John right now. As far as the porta potty goes, who's gonna be the one it gets tipped over on? :p

Last edited:
Mr. X said:
Regarding the GO plan...As Zakk Wylde says..."Ohhh Yeaahhh!" (In a rock'n roll voice). I'm setting aside some money for the porta John right now. As far as the porta potty goes, who's gonna be the one it gets tipped over on? :p

Hey I'm thinking of removing the door and the stench pipe to make a bobsled :D

shizzmac said:
Gatherings are for camping!!! No Inns, no cabins! Campground with huge bonfire, lots of beer and burgers. Thats what gatherings are for. I don't care how cold it is. It will still be more fun camping out.

Hang on!! Not necessarily true. Gathering 3.5 was held at the (lower) Harvard Cabin near Jackson, NH and Gathering 4.5 took place at a rental cabin in Woodstock, NH and those who gathered at 6.5 were in a rental cabin in Wonalancet, NH...

Very typically it's great to have a warm place with camping along side. :)

Very typically it's great to have a warm place with camping along side.
Yes, but based on my observations, for some reason ;) i'm not sure Shizzy feels the cold quite as much as most other people... :D :eek: :D :eek: :D

The GO place sounds great! Whoever this mysterious GO person is, that's a very cool gesture. Thanks! :D :D :D

Of course, I'll be more than happy to chip in my share for the porta-potty and whatever else is needed. :D

Porta-potty? All I can say is "beware the cone monster". We'd better get 2...

GO: I believe a small monetary suggestion is more than appropriate. I'm in for whatever it will be. Now what do you drink? I know Spencer is a scotch man, and I do remember you enjoying as bit of Mountain Chablis ;)

Sounds good to me--I've been wanting to meet GO for awhile!

2 Portas sounds best, and I'm happy to kick in. As for any tipping parties, let's just remember GO's hospitality and be considerate. OK, chanters? :D

Consideration is always more appreciated than remorse!

Gathering at GO's

WHOO HOO!!! Gathering at Go's!!! Thanks Go. I have been to Go's and it is perfect. Nice views from his property. :D I told Spencer that I would bring the usual setup for cooking and bbq.

Last edited:
hey everyone,

vo and i are looking forward to having you all visit in january. well, everyone except sherpak and shizz ... just kidding guys! western maine is beautiful in the winter and we really enjoy having company to share this great area with. this event may change our minds ... just kidding again! everyone that i have met from vftt so far has been what i consider good folks. can't wait to see some old friends and meet some new ones.

as far as camping goes we have lots of space for tenting in the fields close to where you'll park as well as some nice spots in the woods, just off the ski trail - one with an outstanding view of abraham, spaulding, sugarloaf and burnt mountains. there is an old farm house (built in 1850) that we now use as a guest house. it will be open and heated with kitchen and bathroom for your use.

spencer is the event coordinator (thanks spencer!) and we'll send out more info as time gets closer but one thing i'll say now is that we encourage car pooling to help with parking. we have lots of room for parking when the fields don't have snow, which will not be the case in january. i'll be plowing an extra area for parking that should do the trick but the less cars/trucks there are the easier it willl be for you all to get out when you want to.

and the porta potty should hold a team of four bobsledders - i'm in.
go

This is sounding sweet! GO, you DA MAN!!

If we are chopping a hole in the river for Suebiscuit's bath, can we open it up a bit more and also do a raft trip in the evening?

I'll bring a few "boxes" of Go's favorite white!

Turnbill -- Are you in??

cb

Hey forget the raft, we'll just leap out of the water, land on our bellies and slide across the ice ala "March of the Penguins"... not only is this fun, but it's a free dermabrasion treatment... takes off 10 years I hear...or 10 layers of skin. Whatever, you'll either look youthful or like hamburger meat.

Hey, go, looking forward to seeing your digs; many thanks for the hospitality! Everyone, it is go, not GO, or Go....nevertheless, one the finest people with whom I have spent time in the mountains.