Gear Rental - Portland, ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbiscuit

Reaction score
1,997 - 1,998 - 1,999...; Home: Topshizzum, ME
A friend of mine is looking to rent a cold weather sleeping bag next weekend. Any one know of any where in the Portland area that rents gear? (She checked EMS, and one is set to be returned the morning she leaves - might not work.)
THANKS!

She might try asking Todd or Kelly down at Maine Mountain Works on Commercial Street. They've gotten out of the gear and rental business (another small business falls to the biggies who move in next door), but they might be able to point her in the right direction, if there is one. The old MMW was the only reliable rental place I knew about in Portland.

MMW closed their "main" store on Marginal way, where they had the consignment area and gear rentals, but they still have a smaller location in the Old Port (Commercial St.) Same wonderful people, but less gear-intensive, alas.

Can't think of any other place to rent a bag, but I just came from the LL Bean outlet store in Portland (Congress St.) and they have one 0 degree down bag on sale there, cheap... might be a good investment!

Dan F said:
MMW closed their "main" store on Marginal way, where they had the consignment area and gear rentals, but they still have a smaller location in the Old Port (Commercial St.) Same wonderful people, but less gear-intensive, alas.

Can't think of any other place to rent a bag, but I just came from the LL Bean outlet store in Portland (Congress St.) and they have one 0 degree down bag on sale there, cheap... might be a good investment!

I was hoping that the commercial street store might change a bit since the marginal way store close alas all things have remained the same -- it's too bad.... Any word as WHY they closed? I've just assumed it was the new EMS dow the road.

I asked Kelly (proprietor) a while back about the reason for closing the Marginal Way store-- she was too nice to come out and say it was due to EMS moving in down the street, but it seems to be the proximate cause.

I find myself making more treks to Conway for Ragged Mtn and IME...