Getting to Barren Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djavaman

Reaction score
As this is my first post let be known that I am overweight, out of shape, and have bad knees--so anything I say about the severity of hike can (unless you're in the same boat) be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyone planning to hike Barren Mountain should know a thing or two about getting there. Getting to the trail head is as much as an adventure as actually climbing the mountain. To get there you will need a four-wheel drive vehicle with reasonable ground clearance.

I drove there from Greenville via the Greenville/KI road, and this the route I would recommend to anyone who desires to do this hike. The Greenville road starts life as Pleasent Street in downtown Greenville. To get to Barren Mountain follow Greenville/KI road to Indian Pond Road. The Indian Pond road is not labled, but there is an old blue pick-up truck bed at the intersection with a sign pointing the way to Gulf Hagas. You follow Indian Pond road past a large downhill sloped field that offers an outstanding view of Barren and Boarstone Mountains. After the view you enter back into woods and encounter a washed-out culvert--hence the need for 4wd. Shortly after the washout (perhaps 1/2 mi.--unfortunately I didn't keep track of distance) you turn right onto another tote road. This road starts off in reasonably good condition, but soon becomes uneven, rocky, and somewhat rutted. Before reaching the trailhead you will cross another washed out culvert. Shortly after the washout the road widens at a relatively sharp corner, and there a clearly visable AT sign on the road. Park here and enjoy the hike. If the two culverts in question are repaired then this could be done, with care, driving a passenger car.
I mention all of this because the route described in the Delorme Atlas (Elliotville Road to Bodfish Farm to trail head) is not passable by car. In fact it requires some serious off-road driving skills (e.g. you have to ford Long Pond Stream twice) and a healthy disregard for your vehicle's paintjob.
The hike itself is pretty long (roughly 8 miles round trip) but not particularly difficult. It is however very remote, I was there on the Fourth of July weekend and met only a group of backpackers on their way to Cloud Pond lean-to. The views from the Barren Slides, and Barren Ledges are excellent and (in hindsight) make the extra 1.8 miles to the summit seem superflous. At the summit views to the north are obscurred by trees, otherwise views are good. There is a firetower at the top, but it is in extremely poor condition, and given the high winds that day (and the fact I was alone) I thought it best not to climb it.

Sorry for being so long winded, though I did try to keep it short.

it's nice to see a remote maine hike in here, usually it's all those nh hikes that i have never heard of. This is one the hikes i have not gotten too yet since it is out in the boonies on less than great roads. I have gone in to gulf hagas 2x, the road is not bad into there, but i also want to do barren and whitecap someday. i just bought a new car recently though, so these might have to wait until i find someone to go with that has an older car. Good luck w/ the hikes, they do get easier each time you go out there.

djavaman
What happened to the road into Bodfish Farm? I drove in there twice ( many years ago ) when I backpacked over that range and it was not bad then.

djavaman said:
As this is my first post let be known that I am overweight, out of shape, and have bad knees--so anything I say about the severity of hike can (unless you're in the same boat) be taken with a grain of salt.

I brought the paddles and life jackets :D ! Dont feel bad. My sister and I are probably going to always be "book timers." :eek: Step step step, huff puff.......huff puff..........more huff puff ;) . And Hikerbob? Well lets just say he laughs at book time (in his stylin' Star Trek shirt :p ) So if we ever meet on the trails Ill be sure to bring some extra O2 with me!
Nice trip report as well!
Brian

Alternate Route to Barren

The washout described by djavaman is (or WAS) crossable with my Subaru outback, but only after spending 15 minutes carefully building up rocks to create a temporary bridge - even then , it was not something I would want to repeat - but if you cross, you get to do it twice, something which may or may not contribute to your sense of adventure when you are finally on the trail :)

There is a much easier wasy to access Barren from the south (coming from Monson), thankfully.
Here are the directions from an archived page at the Moosehead Lake Region Chamber of Commerce:

Directions From Borestone: If you plan to visit Borestone or Little Wilson Falls, then Barren is less than ten minutes away. Follow directions to Borestone, except continue on the road as the pavement ends. Stay on this main road as it stays level then descends a steep hill, where there are fantastic views of Barren Slide. Soon the road comes to a bridge that spans Long Pond Stream. From here, there are two ways to access the Appalachian Trail, and Barren Mountain.

a) Otter Pond Route - This is not a well-marked trail, but the good part is that you won't have to ford Long Pond Stream. Continue over the bridge (which is gated in early spring and early winter) for 0.75 mile and take the first left. Continue down this road, past Otter Pond (which is on the right at approx. 0.25 mile) to where it ends at approx. 0.6 miles. From here, enter the woods and head along an old, overgrown tote road. You should hear Long Pond Stream on your left. At about 0.3 mile you should see a path that is marked intermittently with orange flagging tape. This connects with the Appalachian Trail at about 0.5 mile. From there, turn right (uphill) and continue to Barren Ledges and the fire tower. (If you wish to stay at the Long Pond Stream Lean-to, turn left at the intersection - downhill).

To see the full page, click
here

I have used this route quite a few times - it's easy to follow and gets you on the AT pretty quickly.

Not that the view is anything great... ;)
LakeOnawaFromBarrenMountain.jpg

Last edited:
Great TR -- though it'd be off-topic to mention how much fun dirt-road rallying is, it can be a fact of life for hikes in Maine. I agree with Tim's directions; the approach from Borestone is much more civilized. The only downside is that you don't get as many Millinocket pinstripes for your paint job.

AntlerPeak said:
djavaman
What happened to the road into Bodfish Farm? I drove in there twice ( many years ago ) when I backpacked over that range and it was not bad then.

The road to Bodfish Farm is fine--it's the tote road that runs next to Long Pond Stream that is a complete mess.

(I'm also gonna be off topic like el-bagr) :)

I love the fact that in Maine, often half the fun is finding and getting to the trailhead.

One day I found Azicohos, hiked it, then went to find West Kennebago for a hike the next day - instead I hiked it right then.

A friend of mine had her first experience with out of the way trailheads on the way to Snow mountain. I told her she should set her tripomemter thing each time we turned, but she said she'd remember. Of course she didn't. She stopped and asked directions - something I will never do. :) Mostly because some of the most awesome things/places are found when you are taking the scenic route. Not all trails are in the books.
She also wasn't thrilled with the trail as it wasn't as well groomed and marked as the White's where she normally hikes.
Sometimes I drive paper company roads just for fun. I love that stuff!

Last edited:
Reactions: dms
twigeater said:
(I'm also gonna be off topic like el-bagr) :) Sometimes I drive paper company roads just for fun. I love that stuff!

Then you would love the Washington State logging roads!

The drive to climb Council Bluff is thirty miles via those roads.
The one up to the trailhead at Coral Pass, near Rainier seems almost verticle badly rutted and almost no place to pull over. I had a rental car and more than once thought "I either make it to the lot or have to back down this thing!" The lot was at 5300 feet

djavaman said:
The road to Bodfish Farm is fine--it's the tote road that runs next to Long Pond Stream that is a complete mess.

I was in the area last August just after a period of incredible rainfall in a rather short time. Most streams overflowed their banks and ponds were above normal. The road along Long Stream was flooded and it is no surprise to read your report of conditions.

I was able to drive in on the route you described but I recall turning left after the outlet from Indian Pond, then right when that road came to an end. The washouts weren't so bad at that that time ... at least not for a 4Runner.

Oh boy, my first red square...this is so exciting!
Here is the thoughtful comment the anonymous square-giver left:

"Your photos are nice but wish you'd stop trying to hock them on this site."

IMHO, the "reputation" feature is doing very little to improve this site, and in fact has the potential to do just the opposite.

Note to the brave square giver - I rarely sell prints, I mostly sell usage rights to publications like Backpacker Magazine and environmental organizations like the AMC, The Wilderness Society, and many others. If you think I am posting pictures on this site to try to "hock" them, you are sorely mistaken.