Giant Stair-master, 10/26/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willoughby

Reaction score
Giant Stairs from Jericho Road via Rocky Branch, Stairs Col, and Davis Path

The Giant Stairs have been visible from a number of my recent hikes, so I decided it was time to turn the view around. I went up the Rocky Branch from its southern trailhead - the trail is broad and gradual, sort of a Lincoln Woods west without the crowds or railroad ties. A few miles in I turned left up Stairs Col trail, which turned out to be a really sweet trail. Both Rocky Branch and Stairs Col had a liberal blanket of downed leaves, very colorful and fun to walk through. Eventually Stairs Col heads up, the ascent is steep but never intimidating. There are stone stairs in some places, and near the col the trail crosses a few rock slabs. The upper third of Stairs Col was occasionally wet, in a couple places there are streams running down the trail - or perhaps the trail runs up the streambed.

The trail runs right up under the cliffs of the Giant Stairs, giving very impressive views through the trees. Then it descends a little ways to the Davis path - where you turn right and immediately begin climbing up the shoulder of the Stairs. I found my pace slowed here - partly it was the steepness of the trail, and partly the views through the trees. Eventually I reached the side path to Stairs Mt, and rambled down it to my lunch spot on the cliffs.

The views from Stairs Mt are restricted but lovely. Chocorua peeks over Mt Resolution dead ahead, the ridge from Whiteface over the Sleepers to the Tripyramids is laid out with Passaconaway, as ever, lurking near Whiteface, and Osceola and especially Carrigain and Lowell loom dramatically. You can see up into the Pemigewasset - esp. Bondcliff and Bond, which blocks most of Franconia Ridge. Views to the north/east - Baldfaces, Wildcat, Washington - are through the trees, and the Southern Presidentials are mostly hidden.

I hung out on top for over an hour and then headed back down. I might have gone further up the Davis Path, but daylight is limited and I had a long drive home. Not every hike has to be an epic.

On the way down I met a couple coming up the Davis Path. They were the only people I saw except for a dogwalker near the trailhead. A nice day in the woods.