Glissading Thingies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
What are those fun little round seats you sit on and glissade down the mountains? On our hike up to Wright Sunday we saw a couple coming down the trail on them and they were having a blast! The conditions, in this case, were perfect for some child-like fun with the trails well packed and wide. What are they called and where can I get some?
weeeeeeeeee :D

thingies...

no they looked like something you would have to blow up. they were round with 2 handles for you to hold onto. Like what the kids have but much smaller - just enough for your little butt to fit on!

we slid halfway down garfield this last weekend by squating on the back of our snowshoes and lifting the crampons slightly. It was a lot of fun. It was kind of like that Olympic event that starts with an L.......luge? That can't be how it's spelled, but anyway, it was fun, and I swore I was going 30 MPH on my butt, but it probably wasn't THAT fast. Now I want to try it with those inflatable things! Kewl!

I brought my son's old, plastic sled up to Pierce last week and used it to sled down the Crawford Path (See here and here ). I just clipped the sled leash to my pack and dragged the sled behind me for the ascent.

It worked OK on the ride down, but tended to ride up the sides of the trail. I steered it by jamming my feet in the snow on one side or the other. It was a lot of work to stay on the sled and stay upright.

A better sled would have steerable runners to stay on the trail and some sort of simple backrest. Brakes would be nice, but I always have my feet.

I looked at buying a Swiss Bob, but decided I didn't like the handles. If the sides of the trail are icy or hard packed snow, your knuckles will take a beating. It was also heavy at 2 lbs.

An inflatable snow tube might work, but has even less steering than the sled I used. If anyone finds a better way to do this, please let us know.

Last edited:
Pierce....

I went sledding on the Crawford Path last Sunday. Was great. It is hard to not fly off the edge of the trail, but what fun!

I usually have a plastic garbage bag with me, and use it as an impromptu sled on occasion. Slides great, can be a little rough on the tush...

I've used a saucer sled going down the trails, feel like Captain America with the sled strapped to my back going up. Jamming your legs or arms in the snow is the only way to steer those things. It can be terrifying at times. Took a shortcut down Mansfield on the slopes once and I thought the moguls were going to break every bone I had.

I've tried plastic bags but I keep losing my grip on them.Those Swiss Bobs i've seen at EMS and have considered. If you really want the ultimate in downhill sledding check out the Mad River Rocket. I haven't had a chance to try them but I have seen them being used the seem very manueverable and you can do tricks on them.

http://www.madriverrocket.com/

The Mad River Rocket looks like fun for a typical sledding hill, but I'd never take one down a hiking trail. The kneeling position and sled design leaves you with no way to easily stop or steer. According to their web site:
To stop the sled all you need to do is turn hard 90 degrees left or right, leaning hard on the side you want to; dig into the snow so that the sled will come to a right angle position the hill.
This maneuver will be difficult if not impossible on a trail.

The small inflatable tube might be fun to try.

Haul sleds are the vehicle of choice for coming down from Chimney Pond to Roaring Brook. You sit on your gear with your feet out in front to brake and "steer".

Just wear your helmet and look out for those bridges!

Butt sliding is great fun, but with the low snow winter, many rocks are uncovered. On our climb of the Willey Range on 2/14 and subsequent slide down Willey, I found that out the hard way. Lots of snow up high, but it went fast as we descended, so rocks were exposed before we realized it. I'm recovering from a crack in the sacrum and 2 fractures in the coccyx from that trip. Not the best way to end my winter :( BTW, I still can't sit for more than a few minutes...

Last edited:
I am not sure about the rocket having never actually used it myself but the bottom has pronounced ridges that can act as keels and I have seen people going down hiking trails and banking off of the sides of the trail and going into the woods. It seemed more manueverable than other types i've used. Although it is definately bigger and heavier than a Swiss Bob. Big strike against it

I use one of those $5 HDPE plastic roll-up sleds that you often see at the local hardware store. Mine is about 18 x 36 inches with 2 rectangular slots on the front for hand holds. It is very light and weighs perhaps only slightly more than a lexan water bottle (liter size). When rolled up, it has less than a 3 inch diameter.

It is slicker than all get out on the snow! Much more so than shell pants. It is next to impossible to steer it, although leaning and using your feet can help some (still learning). To stop, I find it is best to roll off to the side, although digging in heels or snowshoe claws can slow the thing down in some conditions.

Usually, I only use it on trails that descend directly into the fall line. If the trail traverses the slope, the sled is pretty useless unless there is a lip along the side of the trail. Its not too hard looking at the contour lines on a trail map to figure out which trails have sledding potential.

May have lost at least 1,000 feet of elevation on Moosilaukee's Glencliff trail last weekend on the sled, and that was after putting it away sooner than need be.

I used one a few times myself, they do go fast but I found myself slipping off frequently and going into a tumble as the less slippery parts of my body bit into the snow. I would snag one of my toes into the handle cut out and try to keep tension with my legs pointed straight ahead. Unfortunately it disappeared during sledding at recess at my daughters school. It was her sled after all.
Maybe I should invest $5 of my own money. Then I could make some mods, lets see first I would rivet two straps into toe loops at the front of the sled, then maybe a strap in the middle with quick release buckles to act as a belt. Glue on a closed sell pad for a little cushioning and insulation. Hey it could be part of a sleeping system. Only you would have to be careful sleeping in a floorless shelter, if there was any slope you might find yourself under way heading down the mountain in your sleeping bag.
The more I think about it the more I like it. You could leave it strapped about your waste and just unhook your toes bring the bottom up behind you and hook it to the top of your pack. Quick and easy access whenever you need it. Gotta go and shop for a sled, the grocery store usually has good ones of that type.

I recently bought a SnowClaw at a local shop to use as a butt sled. Rigged it out with a strap to steer with. Worked a little too well -- gained so much speed coming off N. Hancock that I ended up reverting to butt sliding the steepest sections without it.

Advantages: Very light weight. Fits in my daypack. Multi-functional: shovel, splint, pack protector, anchor (sledding is not mentioned on the website!).

Downside: One size does not fit all. For relatively small butts only.

Here's the mfg. site:
http://www.snowclaw.com/Functions.html

P.S. SherpaKroto, I feel your pain -- I broke my tailbone last year. Not a speedy recovery. That's why I got the SnowClaw -- to protect my still tender tush. I wish you well.

Ummmmm... as to the original poster's question: Aren't they called "butts?"