Gloversville, Johnstown, Mayfield NY area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite Italian restaurant is in Gloversville (Plaza Pizza).

Other than that I've never really spent any time in any of the towns other than taking the shortcut from 90 to 87.

The area is on the periphery of the Adirondacks. The topography is small rolling hills, lakes, flattish areas. The economy is generally very poor, being an old, largely abandoned 1800s manufacturing area. The main industry was leather processing, if I recall correctly, hence the name "Gloversville."

Adirondacks

Also what's great about the Adirondacks? Is there something amazing in the backyard of Gloversville? I am only familiar with the Whites..

Also what's great about the Adirondacks? Is there something amazing in the backyard of Gloversville? I am only familiar with the Whites..
WOW, are you ready to be amazed?!

The ADKs have hundreds of mountains over 3,000', 40-ish 4,000' peaks, and 2 5,000' peaks. The highest are above tree line and have spectacular 360 degree views. There are about 2 dozen fire towers still standing. Hundreds of lakes, streams, and forests can be explored as well. You might even find some good beer! :D

If you want to check out some pics, and a lot of useful information, try these links:

http://adirondackjourney.com/

http://adkhighpeaks.com/forums

I could go on and on, but I'm sure others will jump in here as well. :)

Right! I gather you're expecting to spend some time in the area. You'll love the Adirondacks. The prezzies are higher, windier and more alpine than the Adirondacks, but if you take out the prezzies, the mountains are similar between the two ranges. The Adirondacks are older, darker, more mysterious, and a little more remote. We locals tend to think the Adirondacks are heavily visited, but there are really not nearly as many visitors as the Whites. If you took the Whites, closed the roads through Pinkham, Franconia and Crawford, and moved the whole thing two hours further from Boston, it would be more like the Adirondacks. I don't know your specific interests (hiking, paddling, climbing, skiing, etc.), but take a look at some trip reports on these sites to get some ideas:

ADKforum.com

ADKHighPeaks.com

Only the Adirondack State Park, the largest park in the Lower 48 states (bigger than Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and Glacier National Parks combined!)

Only one of two constitutionally protected parks in the world (the other is the Catskill State Park, also in NY).

Only the most remote area in the US east of the Mississippi (I was taught in one of my college classes that the Sawtooth Range allows you to get further from any road or hiking trail than anywhere else in the east, have yet to verify this)

Only the least densely populated county east of the Mississippi- Hamilton County. There is also not a single traffic light, nor a single fast food joint in the entire county.

That's all that's there.

Only the Adirondack State Park, the largest park in the Lower 48 states (bigger than Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and Glacier National Parks combined!)

Only one of two constitutionally protected parks in the world (the other is the Catskill State Park, also in NY).

Only the most remote area in the US east of the Mississippi (I was taught in one of my college classes that the Sawtooth Range allows you to get further from any road or hiking trail than anywhere else in the east, have yet to verify this)

Only the least densely populated county east of the Mississippi- Hamilton County. There is also not a single traffic light, nor a single fast food joint in the entire county.

That's all that's there.

Nice! Well said!

I was born in Gloversville, and lived there six months. I have never been back. I don't even know if the hospital or home I lived in are there. I should go see where i was born someday. I'll have to make it part of a hike weekend. I heard the world's largest glove factory was there at one time. My father taught up there in 1961.

Gloversville-Johnstown area

Sadly Gloversville has gone downhill quite a bit over the past 25 years ... there is little industry left, and even some of the industrial park buildings have gone empty when companies moved on. Major employer is the ARC (5th largest in NY State). Johnstown has fared somewhat better, probably due to better fiscal management by the city. It's a short drive to the blue line and access to lots of paddling and hiking. X Country ski trails nearby, and downhill skiing at Royal Mtn just west of J'town.

Housing is relatively 'cheap' compared to other areas.

Bignslow ... Plaza Pizza is now called The Italian Bistro, 'cause it's no longer located in a plaza. :D

Hikerfast ... the hospital is still there in Gloversville ... however the Johnstown hospital closed about 20 yrs ago. It's now a nursing home.

Drive 2 1/2 hours to the north and you're at RandomScoots. :D

Much of the above discussion mentions interests in the 'High Peaks" Region of this NYS park... Gloversville is on the southern boundary and very close to some of the Park's much less used areas and wilderness regions.

Depending on your personal interests - there's much to explore. The uniqueness of the legislation that protects these lands is that it shall be "Wild Forever" -- think about it!

There are some rules and regulations about use of land in the park that you can find with minimal research on your part.

Minor trivia: one of Gloversville's most famous residents was Samuel Goldfish, who worked there in the early twentieth century. He later changed his name to Goldwyn and went into the movie business. He was the "Goldwyn" in "Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer" and the producer of several classic films including The Best Years of Our Lives and Wuthering Heights.

Thanks so much for all the information! I can't wait to get up there..I am interested in possibly renting around there somewheres, I am envisioning a small cabin in the woods near some mountains, but it seems the only things of that sort are "vacation rentals" which are out of my price range... I might be serving/selling some good hiker food in that area soon if I can find a place to live :)