Good Rainy Day NH 4k'er Hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kul45

Reaction score
I had originally hoped to hike Cannon & the Kinsmans on Sunday, but with the weather looking to be gray and rainy, I began to wonder which 4k'er hikes in NH are ideal for no-view days. Tom, Field, & Willey?

I'm looking for not too long of a day (under 15 miles).

Thanks!

Actually, I think the views from the top of Mt. Willey make it worth waiting for good weather; I think you get a really good seam across the notch, with both the Pressies and the Pemi.

One rainy hike I really enjoyed was Hale. I went up Hale Brook and then down by Zealand Hut. The section from the summit to the hut is really magical and was very pleasant. Having also done it in good weather, I can say that the views were not incredible enough to mandate a clear-weather hike.

I also enjoyed a good rainy hike getting up to Meader Ridge from the Wild River Campground. However, the views up there really are all that (you bring the chips), so I'd wait for good weather there.

Two of three trips to the Hancocks were done in the mess; still can't say what the views are from up there, but the crossings were never actually a problem.

Lastly, I did the Passaconaway-Whiteface loop without views, but did have a way-cool encounter with a huge cow moose up on the Kate Sleeper ridge (coming across from Whiteface). Beautiful up there, although I was jonesing for the Lakes-country views I musta been missing to the south.

Good luck!

Waumbek is the ideal, as there are no water crossings and the woods up high are actually wonderfully eerie in the grey.

T-F-W is fine, personally I'd stay to the north side of Willey; that steep, ladder-filled trail on the south side (down towards Ethan Pond) seems like it would be unpleasant when wet and slippery.

Hale would be a good choice, as well as Passaconaway (avoid the Whiteface ledges).

To be honest, the Kinsmans aren't a bad choice, especially if you approach from the west (Mt Kinsman Trail), though approaching from the east isn't bad as you've got both the hut and the pond shelter for respites, just be mindful of some slippery rock sections of Fishin' Jimmy (expect to get your hands wet). While the views are nice from the N Kinsman ledges and the S Kinsman summit, those would be the only viewpoints, you're in the trees the entire rest of the hike.

With any of these peaks, mind the water crossings if there's a lot of heavy rain.

Now that there's a re-route around 2 tricky crossings maybe Galehead could be a good one.

I second MichaelJ, as soon as I read the thread, its the first peak that came to mind. The col between Starr King and Waumbek is enticing on a rainy, misty, cool grey day. (at least I would rather it be cool than temperate or humid)

I second MichaelJ, as soon as I read the thread, its the first peak that came to mind. The col between Starr King and Waumbek is enticing on a rainy, misty, cool grey day. (at least I would rather it be cool than temperate or humid)

I third (if there is such a thing) for waumbek. I second what fisher cat says about the col.

I have also done hancocks in the rain not bad. Zealand is another option nobody has mentioned probally cause most tag it on the way to the bonds

Why not Cannon?

I've done Cannon via Hi Cannon in a rain/snow mix and rather enjoyed it. There a few "fun" spots but I found the cover made for a nice walk.

Waumbek and Hale are certainly the first two to come to mind. Another might be Cabot. If it starts to rain hard you can use the cabin near the summit. There is a stream crossing early on that can be a problem if the water is high.

Here's another vote for Waumbek .... or Hale. I love Waumbek anytime though, so I'm a bit biased :).

Oh Cannon, unless there are high winds stopping the Tram from running, the summit cafeteria will be open for foliage season (check to be sure), offering an opportunity to get out of the rain, dry off, have a burger or a beer (or both), etc.

I would stick with Hi-Cannon as the best rainy-day trail, sheltered all the way and only some short, isolated "get over the big rock" portions that will be a slippery challenge (and the ladder). Kinsman Ridge Trail from the tram parking lot is also sheltered most of the way and has no open fall exposure, but has some weather exposure up top. Kinsman Ridge Trail down the backside (to Coppermine Col) might be iffy to descend if slippery. You could probably make a fine loop: Lonesome Lake to KRT *up* to summit down Hi-Cannon.

Waumbek is probably the most sheltered; if you wanted a slightly more strenuous hike, then Middle Carter via Zeta Pass. The brook crossings on that one all minor, or have bridges. Avoid the Hancocks - even in a drought, it's pretty soupy in that basin and there are LOTS of brook crossings.

My vote is for Tecumseh: fairly sheltered, crossings not too hard and can be skipped on ski trails, lackluster views, and shorter than most suggestions in hiking (and probably driving)

Some others that make a
Long drive : hike ratio more appealing:

Out and back of Wildcats via the ski slopes
or
Carter Dome via Zeta plus S M N Carter double back then down Carter Notch Trail to Dodge Camp and out short roadwalk will bag you three four K's and one Y Alpine peak
Or
Tripyramids (non N Slide routes)
Or
Hale up Hale Brook out Lend a Hand

Carter Dome via Zeta plus S M N Carter double back then down Carter Notch Trail to Dodge Camp and out short roadwalk will bag you three four K's and one Y Alpine peak

One thing worth nothing about this hike is that Mt Hight, also a Y-Alpine peak, is an open summit with gorgeous views, and worth saving for a later hike. Also, note that much of the upper portions of this hike are not sheltered against the weather if it's anything more than just rain.

Definitely do not go down the north side of N Carter in the rain; it's steep and very slippery. Double back to the N Carter Trail to the Imp Trail.

Don't forget the 'whack to Mt. Lethe on the Trailwright's list, too. Save that for a dry day.

Last edited:
I'm fairly certain that Waumbek, translated from the original Pemigewasset language, means "rainy day hike".

Is the forcast just a rainy day or is the wind an issue too? Waumbek, Tecumseh, Passaconaway, South Carter (can be wet getting to Zeta Pass) If you've been to a place like Liberty, Pierce or Carter Dome in good weather, it's always neat to see a place you've seen in good weather in other conditions. (or of course in the winter too)

I'm fairly certain that Waumbek, translated from the original Pemigewasset language, means "rainy day hike".

(giggle)

I have had a couple of memorable and (in retrospect pretty...memorable...memorably good) hikes in downpours. Moriah, believe it or not. Isolation as a second. Mind the hypothermia risk (even in the summer, especially as the ambient temps fall). :)

Waumbek

Or via "Native American dialects," precipitation when the temp is below freezing, i.e. coming soon, snowy mountain....Algonquin and Abenaki tongue meaning "white" we know what's coming!!

So, I ignored all of your thoughtful and wise suggestions, and hiked Willey, Field, and Tom. Why? I wanted to knock off more than one four thousand footer, TEO said that the climb up Willey from the south was steep and had a few ladders, and I've seen the notch from Webster and the rest of the Southern Presis. So I planned on heading up Kedron Flume Trail to Willey Range Trail (with a brief intermezzo of Ethan Pond Trail), then A to Z, followed by Tom Spur, then descending via A to Z and Avalon.

It turns out I made the right choice. Not only no rain, but no clouds. A little humid but spectacular views from view points near all three summits. Plus golden birches and backlit cascades off the Avalon Trail.

Perfect rainy day hike!