Gorge Brook Slide Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAMTERO

Reaction score
Anybody got any info on this trail on Mount Moosilauke that was closed in 1980? The Lost Trails site file is 404.

The Slide Trail is different than the Old Gorge Brook Trial. The Slide was abandoned in the 60's I think due to it being a slide. :) It can still be followed easily if you know where it goes, but I'm not going to post the directions here. I just went up it this summer and it's in just about the same shape as it's ever been. There are some photos of the trip here. I've never seen ski tracks on it, and I've looked, but we've certainly talked about it.

The Gorge Brook trail was relocated in the early 1990's due to a few reasons, mainly it was a maintenance nightmare. We'd repaired some big washouts and mudslides and it was just too much work. The old trail leaves from the Last Sure Water sign, continuing up the Gorge Brook drainage rather than turning to the right like the current trail. I went up it about 10 years ago and while the trailbed was still easy to spot, there were lots and lots of blowdowns and a few new mudslides. Also the new trail is a great ski route.

Neither of these happened in 1980. In 1979 the old summit shelter, which was at the top of the old Gorge Brook trail, was closed and dismantled. Slide was officially closed much earlier, Old Gorge Brook was closed much later.

-dave-

As Dave said, the Old Gorge is in tough shape. I've been up it a few times in the last 5 years and the blowdowns were pretty intense. You do get some interesting views from it up high, though.

I was on the Slide trail just a couple of weeks after Dave was there last and it was indeed in quite good shape after you find the bottom of it proper. I won't divulge directions, either, though.

have fun!

spencer

I looked a litte harder and found where it started from. Anybody know why work on the Lost Trails site stopped in 2002?

Anybody know why work on the Lost Trails site stopped in 2002?
That's a question that's been asked here before, I'm curious about that myself. :confused:

I was also up the Gorge Brook Slide Trail late this summer. Funny...there wasn't a single blowdown. :) The bottom of the trail is fun to locate though...

i found 'em on the world wide web,what's the big secret?

Abandoned in the 1950's due to difficulty and danger. Leaves from the same spot as above "Last Sure Water" running parallel to Gorge Brook. Eventually, trail loops across the stream, then downhill for 50 feet before meeting the bottom of the slide. Orange and black blazes mark the route up the slide, but it's very easy to follow. At the top, trail heads back into the woods on an obvious route, coming out on the Carriage Road. Fairly easy once your on the slide, finding the base of the slide is difficult
:D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:
The slide itself stays free of blowdowns naturally, but please don't cut or clear blowdowns on the upper or lower section of the slide trail. It was closed for a few reasons and it shouldn't be made obvious. Thanks.

-dave-