Gotta get'em

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BD Sabretooths here...Good all around crampon...walk fine, ice climb reasonably well. A little on the pricey side but if you're looking for 1 crampon for both activities this should be a candidate.

What use, what boots?

If looking at flexible boots & general trail walking I'd consider Kahtoolas, not aggressive but would work on most trails & very flexible, can even be worm with trail shoes.

Most people use 10's I really do like my G-12's matched up with my plastics & heavy leather crampon compatible boots. The hybrid bindings are quick to get on & off. G-10's with the newmatic set up look pretty easy & fast too.

On one spot yesterday my partner wearing 10 points slipped a little bit. I think his were BD. With a little exta kicking (& 60 pounds :( ) I had no issues.

One point on Dr. Wu's comments on MSR's: When we went across the Slide below Wildcat A, the footpath on this steep side hill was a single boot width wide. Possible to cross in snowshoes, sure, but you'd need to be real good & very careful (vs. normal winter careful?)

Even if we had needed the snowshoes we were carrying, I would have changed over at the slide to crampons.

Where to rent?

Where did you rent the crampons? How much does it cost to rent a pair for a day? I'm also in the market and unless I find an amazing deal, I'd like to try a few out before investing. Thanks!

ski_adk said:
Where did you rent the crampons? How much does it cost to rent a pair for a day? I'm also in the market and unless I find an amazing deal, I'd like to try a few out before investing. Thanks!

I don't know where you live, but here in MTL, it's 5,00 CAN$/day for a pair of strap-in crampons, and many different outdoor stores are offering that service (La Cordée, MEC, Altitude,Yéti).

I own a set of G10s, and have been borrowing a friends Grivel Air Tech Lights.

I've put similar low mileage on each (~20 miles). Since I just returned the Air Techs, I checked them out carefully for any damage. They appeared to have LESS wear and tear than my original G10s.

I know this is rather early to make a full decision, but I had expected the Air Techs to show more damage. I noticed little difference in traction between the two.

Given that I only put crampons on when necessary, but frequently carry them 'just-in-case', the Air Tech Lights were great at keeping pack weight down.

Through your replys and other research, other questions have arose...

I have flexible sole boots. I was informed that the g-10s would not last with a flexible sole - I would have to get rigid sole boots. Are people out there using g-10 style crampons with flexible sole boots and have found them to be OK year after year?

If you need rigid sole boots, how does one hike with them when not using crampons? - isn't it like wearing ski boots?

Does anyone out there use astri-alpin crampons (ch-10)?

Thanks again.

IndianChris said:
If you need rigid sole boots, how does one hike with them when not using crampons? - isn't it like wearing ski boots?
I use rigid mountaineering boots in winter. Sure they are a bit harder to walk in than flexible boots. But they are designed for walking--rocker in the sole etc. In snow they are generally fine--the toe digs in and you have an effective hinge point a bit back of the tip. It is easy to walk on pavement once you get the knack. Snowshoes are fine too--you set the hinge point under the ball of your foot. DH ski boots have a flat sole and are terrible for walking.

Doug

The Grivel G10's are great but try to bring your boots if you can when you buy them so you can be sure they fit correctly.

G-10's set with the flexible bar would work on several kinds of boots. The boots should be fairly stiff though, like at least a medium backpacking boot. You should have at least a 3/4 shank, preferrably a full plastic would be better. EMS usually has a couple of models of boots that would work with G-10's, depending on the store. Hit & retailer & see what they have, try them & then go home & compare with your boots, bring your boots the next time.

You can always take a couple of trips to the store before you buy.

I use plastics & except for 3 mile road walks at the end of a hike, feet are okay after 10-12 miles.

If you search around here for other threads for Kahtoola's you may find they work for your boots. They are designed to be very flexible, even the lightest day hiking boots & some trail shoes.

If you haven't already made the leap, the Kahtoola folks have a steel model that looks quite nice (and spendy :rolleyes: ). Personally, i use my sabertooth's (old style step-in's) for EVERYTHING (tech routes, walks, etc), though i JUST ordered the new-ish "clip" model (non-step in) for use on non-technical (read S-L-O-G :eek: ) "routes".

FWIW, you could always visit the 'Bay and pick up some old-school strap style 'pon's and save some cash for when you have developed your own opinion about what you like (and DON'T like) and use the oldies as loaners. Just a thought.....

fm

My austrialpin 10 point broke today, (the adjusting bar) .They have worked well up to now, but I think they are a little flimsey.. I am going to fix it, but won't buy another pair. Just don't trust them for a serious hike anymore.