graham from balsam lake

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlos

Reaction score
I know its short notice but i was wondering if i could get a little help.
I am planning to hike Balsam Lake Mtn tomorrow from Beaverkill road, it will be my first hike since an Achilles problem. If i feel good at the top of Balsam lake i would like to head over to Graham.
I have found the caretakers # in some older posts for permission but was wondering if anyone could give me a time/difficulty estimate? also a heads up about finding the herd path would be great.
Thanks and peace! Charlie

A loop of Balsam Lake Mountain from Beaver Kill Road is about 3.5 miles. The side trip to Graham will add about 4 miles (2 - 2.5 hours), for a total hike of about 7.5 miles. From the upper junction of the Balsam Lake Mt and Dry Brook Ridge trails, head left / northeast on the Dry Brook Ridge trail (blue) for 0.15 mile. The junction with the old road / herd path to Graham is at the height of land on the Dry Brook Ridge trail. So if you start to go downhill on the blue trail, you have gone too far. The old road is fairly easy to see hiking in this direction. It heads off to the right at very oblique angle and remains within sight of the blue trail for a short distance. After 0.4 miles a junction is reached after a small descent. The left fork descends into Turner Hollow. You want the right fork which will take you to the Graham summit.

This old road serviced the former educational TV relay station, the ruins of which remain on the summit. Some hikers climb the walls for a better view. However, with the leaves now off the trees on the mostly hardwood summit, you should have some views through the trees without climbing the walls. There are some blowdowns along the way, most of which the herd path skirts around. The path may be a little obscure in places when covered with leaves, but it should not be difficult to follow.

Last edited:
As usual, top-notch info already posted by Mark. I'll just respond to your time and difficulty question by stating that when Tuco and I hiked this pair in early October of 2004, it took us between 5 and 6 hours which included at least half an hour on each summit. Very nice views from the firetower and the caretaker showed us around the cabin. The climb up both peaks is gradual and moderate, I don't recall anything steep on Balsam Lake Mt, and only one steep section shortly before the summit of Graham. Graham has nice views too. And if it's a clear day, you can see the firetower on Balsam Lake Mt that you climbed earlier in the day.

Have a great hike, and good luck with your foot.

Rob