Gregory packs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwc

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the G-Pack and the Z-Pack ... any real difference between the two (other than volume, which isn't all that much different)?
Anyone with any comments about Gregory's Forester pack? How about the Acadia?
thanks in advance!!

I got a G-Pack last year and am going to try it out this weekend. I packed it last night with my ultralight gear and everything seems to fit nicely. They say it is made for gear 20 - 25 lbs. Mine weighs in right now at 23 lbs without water and it feels ok. We will see how that goes after 10 miles. I was surprised at how spacious it was considering the weight. I also have an Arcteryx Bora 65 that weighs almost 7 lbs. It's nice, but weighs 4 lbs more than the G-pack. That's like carrying an extra tent! I don't think you can go wrong with Gregory products.

However, I did try their fanny pack last year on a long dayhike and I did not like it...

I have the wind river, which I use for overnight backpacking. I think thier products are top nothch. Great quality and construction, and the company is great to deal with. It's expensive, but well worth the cost.

thankyou

Jasonst
Thankyou for your very important input on such a meaningfull subject....
Does that come with pehaps a stuff sack ??

Saw a G-pack hanging on a hook at EMS in Lake Placid and noticed that the haul loop was ripping out because of the weight of all the light filling stuffed in the pack to make it look full.

Also, I have a friend that has a G-pack that she uses as a daypack. She goes out just about every weekend for a 12-16 mile dayhike. She likes the pack, but the fabric has torn from normal rock contact. Last time out she was using her old pack.

I think it would be okay for a few to ultralight backpack trips a year, but it definitely is not robust. That is coming from someone that thinks highly of Gregory packs. I would expect it to last maybe 50-100 days as compared to their regular packs that would last about 300-400 days. Of course you can always get double the life with repairs... and Gregory has excellent customer service with repair work.

As John said, the G-Pack is made of a material that is not so durable. The Z-Pack was Gregory's answer to the problems they were having with the G-Pack. At only a few ounces more, I would opt for the Z-Pack, which is made of a material that is significantly more durable.

Last edited:
Jasonst said:
Ha Ha. Touche. This is relevant, perhaps?

We'll have to defer to your better judgement as we write -- how did you so gently put it? Oh, yeah: "such innane drivel a about such ... meaningless piece of gear."

BTW, I was thinking of getting one of those synthetic pack towels, but thought I should run it by you first :confused:

Wow, you have to admit that topic was completely exhausted by the end of page 1. I did find Spider's comments amusing though. I can take criticism... I stand criticized! PS, as far as the pack towel goes, it sounds like a great idea but why are they so expensive?

I have to admit that I chuckled last night as I prepared for this weekend's hike and completely eliminated my stuff sacks... :D

I used to carry a drivel all the time until I learned about ultralight backpacking. It seems so useless now that I have a towel that doesn't absorb water.

KWC
I tried out my G-Pack this weekend and am sending it back. As John said, I noticed that the seams seemed to be stretching. It is recommended for 20 - 25 lbs and I had about 26. The whole time I was using it I was nervous about tearing it. I also didn't care for the suspension. I am trading it for a Z-pack. I think Gregory has had problems with the G because I noticed it is on sale everywhere, lowest is 110 at Campmor. Good luck

i visited ems this past weekend and tried on the z-pack ... i didn't care for it, just didn't seem right. i'm probably gonna settle on something more substantial like the forester model

The Forester is on sale right now at REI for 169.99. That's a great price... The forester is a little too large for me...

Took my Forester overnight for the first time last weekend and I was impressed with it. My weight was 30 lbs without water and it felt like I wasn't carrying a thing. Very nice.

oh yeah ...

I bought my Forester today at EMS ... it was on sale for $199 ... salesperson was great, helped me load it up with about 30lbs of 'stuff' and I wore it around the store for nearly 30 minutes, didn't even feel like I had anything on my back! (this was the Saratoga NY store) :D

The forester is @ 4700 cu in. How is it that you filled it up with only 30 lbs? Was it half empty? I seem to be drawn to the Gregory Reality pack but even that is @4300 cu in, way too much for a summer overnight. I am just curious on your strategy in pack buying. I don't see the sense in hiking with a half empty pack. :confused:

Forester

Yep, the Forest is a good size pack. Used mind for the first time this past weekend going to mt jefferson. Had it loaded to about 40 lbs and the pack still have space for gear. However, I would not want any more weight with this pack. The harness would need more beef to it. I also have an old osprey which is a third smaller, I have loaded the osprey with the same about of weight and it carried much nicer. Hands down a better pack (also cost more too).

Jasonst said:
The forester is @ 4700 cu in. How is it that you filled it up with only 30 lbs? Was it half empty?

Wouldn't you know it, I just bought a Forester today at EMS. Actually a small size Forester (which I bought) is 4450 cubic inches, and is rated for 40 pounds.

Glad to hear the good reviews. I tried three different packs (EMS, TNF, and Gregory) and the Gregory really felt the best on MY back and shoulders.