Grivel G10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danacus

Reaction score
My winter boots are Merrell Winterras; which G10 binding works best with these boots?

Thanks in advance for any information.

I've found that the best way to fit crampons to boots is to bring the boots to a gear shop and try them on there. I've occasionally went through most of the crampons in the store before one style fits just as I like it.
More often than not, the employees are excited to be helping out someone who uses the equipment as its intended and I can sometimes learn a good bit from them as well. If anything its a good way to meet people with similar interests and trade a few stories while getting the perfect fit.

I think most users here that have the Grivels and don't use the step-in kind recommend the "new classic" bindings. I have never tried anything other than the new classics having checked here before I got mine. (My previous crampons were instep ones). I'm happy I got them, they are pretty easy to lace and quick to put on and off (unless the end of the strap is an ice ball! Don't forget to tuck in those ends. :)). I find it not hard to do with liner or thin gloves, but typically I will lace them with my gloves on if it's really cold and then take the gloves off to completely cinch it down.

In any case, one thumbs up to the New Classic bindings from me.

Jay

I have the "New Classic" G10 and they work well with my Merrells (can't recall specific model, they're pretty old.) The boots are pretty flexible and havent had a problem, them being my first pair of crampons. And I agree that they are fairly easy on and off with gloves on.

Has anyone had any dealings with Grivel North America? My wife ordered a pair of crampons almost a month ago. They don't respond to emails, nor do they return our phone calls.

rhihn said:
Has anyone had any dealings with Grivel North America? My wife ordered a pair of crampons almost a month ago. They don't respond to emails, nor do they return our phone calls.

I have.

I ordered a pair of Grivel G10's from Grivel North America, out of Utah, last year. I had them expedite the shipping and received them as expected.

They did seem like a very loose organization. Like if they weren't answering the phones it was because they were out hiking instead. But not hearing from them for over a month is very strange!

-Shayne