Guyot and Tarps

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jime

Reaction score
Howdy All! This time of year I prefer to use a tarp and bivy sack over a tent however the plan is to stay overnight Saturday at Guyot. I haven't been up there in years but I remember that the platforms are supposed to take two tents. I also don't remember a lot of convenient stakeout points. So...my question is does anyone think that I can successfully use a tarp without interfering with anyone else's camp set-up and without everything looking hodgepodge trying to find decent places to stake it all out? It's supposed to rain/snow on Saturday night so I will need to keep this fairly low for coverage should I use the tarp. I'm guessing the shelter will be full by the time I get up there. Any and all feedback appreciated!

Jim

was just there - I found it a royal pain to use a non-freestanding tent...there are places to tie, but they are not in great locations (I am not super experienced in this stuff) - I ended up using nails...also, of interest - no one slept in the shelter the night we were there (a Tuesday) - about 20 people there, all in tents or bivy bags...shelter had a lot of visitors (squirrels, chipmunks and mice)
Spring was very slow flowing - may not survive a freeze...
After all that - it is such a great spot - have a blast!

Bring extra line

I was just there also - one week ago. We got the caretakers platform and I managed to rig up my tarp, but it wasn't straightforward. I tied the ridgelines between 2 trees, 2 of the corner ties outs to the platform, one I staked down, and the other I tied to a rock. I'd suggest bringing extra line in case you need to make a long tie out. I have a roughly 10x8 tarp which took up a little more space on the platform than my friends 2 person tent.

BTW, the place was full and at least one group ended up using the overflow area.

Thanks!

I appreciate the feedback and will bring the tent just to be on the safe side. I've only stayed there once, so without a caretaker to point me in the right direction where are the overflow sites? Again, thanks for your input!

Jim

Bondcliff Trail a little ways south of the Guyot spur junction. It's pretty obvious, and there are also signs about not fouling the watershed for the Guyot spring.