hardest high peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeenyus

Reaction score
What was the hardest high peak in the Adirondacks that you have done?

Sawteeth, up the scenic trail in the middle of February. No broken trail. Snow up to my chest (with snowshoes on) in places. I seriously thought I was going to die on that mountain.

Last edited:
That question is hard to answer, because a mountain's difficulty is often associated with the particular conditions under which it is hiked, rather than the mountain itself.

The worst for me was Seymour, without a doubt, because we climbed it the beginning of August 2000; there had been a lot of rain that July, it had rained the day before we hiked, and the mud and bugs were just awful. We had difficulty finding the herd path up the steepest part of the mountain, too. Barbara McMartin's guide book said the herd path section of the route should take something like an hour forty-five minutes; it took us three hours to reach the top, and another two to get down. Plus there's the truck road in and out, so it was a 12 hour 20 minute hike for us. Another consideration on that hike is that my son was just eight years old then, so my ladyfriend, Susan, and I couldn't hike as fast as we could have if it had just been the two of us. And if I'd been alone, I could have gone even faster. I don't know if it's fair to blame the mountain for any of those factors, though.

Redfield was the one that caused Susan to break down in tears when she reached the summit, but that was in 2000 also, long before the herd path was fixed (which it was, last year) after it was badly damaged by Hurricane Floyd.

I was pretty nervous about tackling the Dix Range by myself back in September 2001, but the hike went magnificently, and it was one of my all-time favorites. One of the reasons it was so memorable was that I did the hike on September 11, 2001, oblivious to the horror that was taking place downstate. Somehow, on a couple hours sleep, I was able to climb Cliff Mountain the next day, and maybe that was my hardest, because my heart was absolutely not in that hike at all until I reached the herd path and was able to concentrate on hiking. There are some pretty tough places on the climb, particularly on the downclimbs, but the herd path went by relatively quickly, and when I got back to the trail I actually considered going up to Gray, but didn't. And it was a good thing I didn't, too, because I suffered shin splints on the long hike back to the car, so I was in a bit of pain the last six or seven miles.

Again — none of that was really the mountain's fault, except for the steep chute that had to be negotiated.

Sawteeth, we went down the Scenic Trail, but I felt pretty sick to my stomach on the climb up the Weld Trail, so the first half of that hike was pretty hard.

Dix, I felt sick —like I was going to keel over dead — most of that hike, too. Really dragging. Two days earlier on Rocky Peak Ridge, same thing during the hike out. Susan didn't even make it to the top of that one, so we need to go back (it's on the schedule to be her 46th).

Street and Nye, I couldn't bear the weight of the pack on my back any longer, and shed the thing when we reached the col. Susan, bless her, carried it much of the way for me. Come to think of it, I felt pretty crappy — at least during the last few miles — on the hikes of Big Slide, Esther, and Table Top, too.

Heck, I remember getting spooked by McMartin's description of Armstrong. It wasn't as bad as I imagined it to be, though. Neither was the descent of Gothic's cables.

So to answer your question...

I don't know. All. Or none. They all can seem difficult while you're doing them; afterward, hey! it wasn't that bad!

I agree w/ Raymond... depends on conditions. The first time I tried Whiteface (NY), the snow was an unconsolidated mess with a thin crust on top. Just kept "spinning my wheels". I calculated it would take me 17 hours to summit at the pace I was going, so I turned around. Climbed it twice since then, both wonderful hikes.

Santanoni, Panther and Couchy as a day hike. I don't recall any particular mountain being difficult - what makes it difficult is how much you try to cram into one day or one trip.

Santanoni after Panther and Couchie on 3/18/94 with Mike Fallone. Breaking 4-6" down low and 18" of new fluffy powder on the ridge, -5F, 50ft visability in the am. 15hrs of steady hiking. Drove up from Albany but slept in the parking lot that pm.

I would have to say Haystack, the first time. That day I started solo from bushnell falls with my full pack. Over marcy, snack time on skylight, then down into the gorgeous gorge (panther of course!). I met a couple of chaps who were experienced ADKers and they said I could do Haystack no prob. Rain was impending, so I decided it would be better to get over Haystack before it got too slippery on top. Wow, the south side is steep. Add a full pack, and my first solo overnighter, and i was quite skieved. When I arrived at the summit, I hunkered down behind some rocks, and drank some gatorade. Needless to say, the trip back to Slant Rock was one wrought with relief. It just started to rain as I arrived back at camp to set up my tent.

-percious

Cliff-

Good lawd, it was horrendous! Made worse, no doubt, by the 7-mile pack-in to Feldspar Brook lean-to that immediately preceded it, but man-oh-man, you're going to have to convince me that Pete Hickey went in and "did a Redfield job" on Cliff before I'd EVER do that again. (shudder)

Thanks, Pete and crew, Redfield's trail was WONDERFUL!

Basin, I have to agree with Alpine Summit, was a tough climb.

Couchie, that got overshadowed now by Cliff but I do remember quietly shedding a few secret tears hiking back to Times Square after that one. But it wasn't the mountain's fault, I was in pain from blisters and a muscle strain.

Hough was my nemesis

Took me 3 tries to climb Hough

#1 - Mid-October snow and ice made the Grace (EDix) slide unclimbable. Bushwhacked up the slide of the slide using my hands more than my feet. Deemed it unsafe to proceed to Carson (SDix) and Hough alone.

#2 - Winter attempt - ski from Elk Lake just past Slide Brook Lean-to, then snowshoe attempt up Lillian Brook (totally unbroken). Spruce traps, blowdown, and breaking trail alone did me in.

3# - Early spring - easy travelling up Slide Brook to Macomb summit. Snowshoe bushwhack along unbroken path to Carson and Hough (finally!). This was the day ALG wound up staying out overnight in the woods after descending the Macomb slide in the dark.

A Dix traverse as a day hike. Sentinal also if you want to count 100 highest peaks. It was thick and the bugs were just as thick, and all at 105 degrees.

tough stuff

Who, me? That night... rather two hour rest, on Macomb was an adventure, but I don't consider it as a hard peak to climb. Certainly one of the hardest for me, and this is a relative term, was my very first high peak - Cascade! I just wasn't used to hiking at all, so it was hard. I'm surprised to see two of you folks say that Basin is a hard peak to climb. I've climbed it twice in the past year, and it didn't seem particularly hard (I'm always a slow climber).

Cliff wasn't much fun from Uphill Brook. It is a fairly short, but tough peak to crawl up. In winter, the path up Cliff is a relatively easy trip directly from Flowed Land.

For me, Seward, at the peak of April's snow melt, was very hard to do. Dix, via the Beckhorn, was also tough for me. Also Hough, because of the distance and other peaks you need to climb to get there. The West wall of Saddleback was the most challenging and dangerous route -it's very fresh in my mind (last weekend).

Hardest Adirondack High Peak

Wright in the winter. Hands down.

Had to try twice- the first time the wind was blowing so bad I just couldn't make it (greater then 70mph) The second time it was only blowing 40mph, but it was -20F. It was cold. That mountain is always breezy!:cool:

Day trips:
In winter, and without a broken trail, it would be Couch or Allen.
In non winter conditons, my vote would be Couchie.

Backpacking:
Emmons, Blake, Couch

Non-Winter: MacNaughton... heres the video (It's titled Airshark Attack on MacNaughton) MACNAUGHTON VIDEO Bugs darn near killed us. There is some foul language in the vid but you'll see why!

Winter: Marcy
HEAD

BirdHead Studios

LWJ

For me it was Lower Wolf-Jaw. After 3 attempts I finally nailed it last year on the 4th. First time had did the range and ran out of day light. @nd attempt the same thing. Third attempt my friend ran out of steam and I will not leave a fellow hiker behind if I start with them. 4th time finally nailed it :)

For me Redfield was the hardest because of the circumstance. My son and I did it in December and hauled huge packs from Upper Works to Uphill leanto and then proceeded to climb the "old" herd path up into a snowstorm arriving at about 4:30. We crawled back down by headlights and I was so bonked and cold that I shivered for at least an hour in the leanto. It was also a little sketchy finding the leanto in the heavy snowfall adding to the effort. Definitely one to remember:)

Couch is probably the hardest single peak, due to it's length and the fact that you have to climb back over the ridge on the return. Emmons used to be hardest until the Calkins Brook route was (illegally) cut.

illegally cut

Mike:
what do you mean, the Caulkins brook trail was illegally cut?
what's illegal about it?:confused:

Re: illegally cut

hardrain said:
Mike:
what do you mean, the Calkins brook trail was illegally cut?
what's illegal about it?:confused:

It was cut and marked with white paint blazes in 1997 or 1998. It is on state land and the unauthorized cutting of trails on state land is illegal. But now that it is there, it is the preferred route to the 3 peaks of the Seward Range as it is less muddy and eroded than the herd path up from Ward Brook, and one can climb any 2 or all 3 peaks easier than the Ward Brook route.

You pretty much got it, Mike. Except that it was more like '94 when the flagging blazing was done. Someone experienced in trail design laid out this trail, then afterwards went through it cutting trees.

When we (46er trail crew) want to lay out a trail, we need DEC approval for a route up to (I think) a quarter mile) and APA aproval for anything longer.

The real annoying thing with this, is that it is a very well laid out path. There is a good chance that when we work with the DEC for fixup in this area, it may very well become the official route. It just doesn't seem right that this happens to an ilegal path. It sends out the wrong message.