Hawthorne Falls Success - 09/02/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeoAkela

Reaction score
After having failed to reach the legendary Hawthorne Falls last week, finding instead the wrong waterfall, I was itching to go back and get the job done. So, after a meeting on Tuesday ended earlier than expected, I was able to race home and change, arriving at the Gale River trailhead by 4:30.

With only a few hours of daylight left, I was practically running up the trail with my small "whack-pack" and tripod in hand... got some strange looks from a few heavily-laden hikers!

Hit the first river crossing and a few minutes later veered off-trail and back across the river, picking up the well-trodden herd path and following it for a little less than a mile to where it ends at the large sunny slab and small waterfall. From this point, it was either bushwhack up the bank along the side of the stream, or just head straight up the stream bed itself. The water level was fairly low due to the lack of rain, so I opted for the latter option.

What a great choice! Close to a mile of beautiful cascades over smooth, chiseled slabs, large open pools, jagged steps, and mini-flumes. At each corner I stopped yet again and again to admire the next sight! If I hadn't been in such a hurry, I could have spent hours photographing all these marvelous cascades! The slabs were fairly slippery, but with a careful step and the occasional branch for steadiness, I was able to rock-hop and step most of the way directly up the stream.

At one corner near a particularly rough blowdown, I circled up the steep bank to the left. I could hear the sound of rushing water, and through the trees could make out the great height of Hawthorne Falls beside and below me. Through the trees I could make out some great little ledges on the other side of the stream, so I pulled myself up via branches and trees to the top of the falls, where there was a great view down into the chasm from a slab at the top. I crossed over the stream and made my way down the other steep bank, trying to get a good vantage point for a photo.

Hawthorne2(800).jpg

At the bottom of the falls in a small, constricted space, I set up the tripod and tried to capture the beauty of this waterfall. It is really a shame that the trail that used to go past this gem was moved so far away! Such a magnificent spot to be shared by only a few visiting souls. I tried to do it justice.

Hawthorne3(800).jpg

Hawthorne1(800).jpg

On the way back to the trail, I decided to climb up to the top of the ridge on the east bank and follow it down. This was a faster option than walking the stream bed, going through a mixture of open woods and scruffy evergreens. 3 hours from my arrival I was back at the car with some daylight to spare! :cool:

Chris . . . I’ve never seen a photo of Hawthorne Falls of that quality. Kudos to you! That particular waterfall is situated such that it’s extremely difficult to photograph, but you managed to capture it in all it’s glory.

That particular waterfall is situated such that it’s extremely difficult to photograph, but you managed to capture it in all it’s glory.

Thanks for the kind comments! I will have to confess to a bit of trickery to get some of those shots, though, especially the last one. There was just not enough room to get a decent wide angle shot with my limited equipment, so that shot is actually several photos stitched together for the background, one slow exposure shot for the falls, one slow exposure for the pool, and an HDR shot for the sky.

Not sure if that is considered cheating, but if the end result is what the eye actually beheld I am OK with it! :)

Wow, nice job! Thank you for revealing the trickery in the first photo - I thought my eyes were failing me for a moment there!

I will have to confess to a bit of trickery to get some of those shots, though, especially the last one. There was just not enough room to get a decent wide angle shot with my limited equipment, so that shot is actually several photos stitched together for the background, one slow exposure shot for the falls, one slow exposure for the pool, and an HDR shot for the sky.

Not sure if that is considered cheating, but if the end result is what the eye actually beheld I am OK with it! :)
No, that is not cheating as it is indeed what the eye beholds. Thanks for the explanation.

And you still deserve that green square for the amazing sunny day waterfall photo that I gave you before you revealed the "trickery". The photo is deserving of a green square with or without the trickery, perhaps even more so for the competent use of HDR! :D

Stunning photos for sure! Somewhere in my files I have a newspaper article from the 1870s that was written shortly after the falls were first discovered. If I can track it down I'll make copies and make sure I get a copy for you (and John). Your uncle would be very proud of your photographic work, that I am sure.