Hello all, new to the site. AMC Backcountry Caretaker.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dingle

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have been lurking on this site for some time and decided to join everyone.

I have met a handful of members over the years out in the whites. I live up in New Hampshire in the white mountains region. I work for the AMC in the trails and backcountry dept as well as enviro Ed in the winter.

I may have met some of you last summer at Kinsman pond, where I was caretaking. This summer I will be caretaker of Imp Mountain.

If any of you stay or travel by Imp, be sure to stop and say hello.

Im hoping to provide the site some helpful trail conditions information as well as progress on new trail constuction or restoration.

See you out there.
All the best.
Casey "Dingle"
A.T. GA>ME '04
Kinsman Pond Caretaker '05
Imp Mountain Caretaker '06

Welcome Casey!

Glad to have you join in the fun! I'm from all the way down in PA, but I went and left my heart in the Adirondacks :)

Hey Casey, if you were at the Kinsman pond I may have met you there on your last week right before they tore it down. Then a few days later I believe I met you on Garfield ridge site also.

Ah yes, Clown.. I do remember you. It was nice running into you twice this past fall... will you be romping around again this summer? be sure to put imp on your destination list. its a great spot and not too many crowds.

all the best.
Dingle

Hi, we were there 8/26. We poked around the camp ground on our way up to the summits. Then we came back thru later in the day. We met John S (from this board) there as well.

Hey Casey,

Regular Brian and I will be heading up to Kinsman Pond sometime late July. . . too bad you won't be there this year. We will add Imp to our list of hikes and catch up with you up there sometime. Brian has your email address and promises to get his act together and email you soon.

sli74

Hey Sil.

I would love to see you guys. Havent seen Brian since the trail. I have a few good photos of him that my mom took when he got trail magic in VT. I think they are posted on the AT04.com site.

If he drops me an email I can send you guys my schedule of when I will be on site. good to hear from you... heres a photo of some of us in 04 on Greylock in Mass.

P1010675.sized.jpg

Hi Casey,

glad to see your account finally got activated. It was quite a surprise running into someone from my pre-hiking life up on Franconia Ridge last year! Punks on peaks! :cool:

When do you start over at Imp? I'll save my first hike to Moriah until after you've started so I can head over and say 'hi'.

Last edited:
Not to change the subject, but when and why did Kinsman shelter get torn down???????

Dingle said:
Ah yes, Clown.. I do remember you. It was nice running into you twice this past fall... will you be romping around again this summer? be sure to put imp on your destination list. its a great spot and not too many crowds.

all the best.
Dingle

I will be hiking the carters soon, hopefully. Glad you could join us here at VFFT. It's a great site with tons of info and very helpfull trail reports (especially in winter/early spring).

Jasonst said:
Not to change the subject, but when and why did Kinsman shelter get torn down???????
I'm guessing he meant took down the caretakers tent and the like at the end of last season. As far as I know the shelter is still there.

-dave-

I was there with a camp group (Camp Thoreau) late last June. The kids thought it was cool that you lived there! :D

Phew! "Tore it down..." I guess I overreacted! :eek: :eek: ...Am getting used to this being the norm for the older shelters. I suppose that it isn't in a designated wilderness area so that may not be a concern?

Jasonst - No worries, Kinsman Shelter is still there and still intact. He is reffering to the end of the season when I was breaking down camp and the caretaker tent for the winter.

Ron - It was great running into you out there last year. I am looking forward to seeing you again, we can catch up from the old punk days. You are probably the first person Ive seen out there from that time of my life. Glad you found a love of it.

Sleeping Bear - I remember Camp Thoreau, you guys were lots of fun. If im not mistaken, was that the all girl camp? will you be back out there this summer?

Thank you all for welcoming me to the site. I unfortunately wont be able to post too often seeing that the WIFI connection in the whites has not been installed yet, and until then my only source of communication is the Forest Service radio.

Dingle

Dingle said:
Sleeping Bear - I remember Camp Thoreau, you guys were lots of fun. If im not mistaken, was that the all girl camp? will you be back out there this summer?

Nope, not an all girl camp, although we did have a couple of girls on that trip. I guess I should have specified that we're Camp Thoreau from Mass. Sometimes we get confused with Camp Thoreau in Vermont. They're a little unique, I heard something about "clothing optional swimming" :confused:

Anyway, we've got a couple trips into the Whites planned, unfortunately, not over your way.

okay, I still think I remember you guys, and I think you are right there were 2 camps romping about with the same name. I hope you all have a great summer up here, maybe we'll cross paths.