Help, I am trying to do the Terrifying Twenty-five

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Yankees Guy

Reaction score
I am trying to do the Terrifying Twenty-five, but being a newbie to hiking in the Whites, I am having problems with where some of the trails are located. The descriptions I have read are rather vague, and would like to know more, like what mountains the trails are located on, what parts of said trail are part of the list, and so on.

I think the White Mountain Guide is a steal with the amount of trails in it. Not at all pricey. Try to find another guidebook that price with that much data. It comes with maps as well although they are paper and can be difficult to use in wet or windy weather. There is a better version of the maps available too.

If finances are real tight, 98% of the text and trails in the whites is the same from one edition to another. You can sometimes pick up a used prior edition on ebay that is entirely adequate for planning. Few folks actually carry the guide so buying the tyvek maps is also an option.

Here's the list:

http://www.trishalexsage.com/p/the-terrifying-twenty-five.html

From your profile, it appears you're new to hiking in the Whites. Personally, I'd work on doing peaks via the most common routes, and then branch out. There are a few on this list - Beaver Brook to Moosilauke, Airline to Adams (return via Valley Way), Caps Ridge to Jefferson, Hi-Cannon, Willey Range, and Wildcat Ridge Trail - which are either standard, or somewhat standard access routes to the peaks. They are more difficult than other trails, but not unusually so.

Just did Great Gully trail yesterday, and it had been many years since I'd done it. My friend and I returned via Airline. Great Gully is seldom done, a bit difficult to find/follow, but whow! what a challanging and beautiful route out of King Ravine. Makes doing King Ravine seem somewhat easy ...

Last edited:
If finances are real tight, 98% of the text and trails in the whites is the same from one edition to another. You can sometimes pick up a used prior edition on ebay that is entirely adequate for planning. Few folks actually carry the guide so buying the tyvek maps is also an option.

I used to carry the entire guide 10 years ago. I have no idea why - it's really heavy! At this point you can just take a picture of the pages with your phone (or print them out). I've found the 29th edition to be helpful in pointing out areas damaged by Irene in 2011. But yeah, even the 25th edition would be substantially better than nothing.

It's worth the extra $$ for the latest edition. I finally retired my 1986 AMC Guide this spring and there are some significant changes for some areas. The latest info can definitely help.

personally I don't like guide books.. I like topo maps (I like to have a little mystery).. just looked at the T25 list, personally, I don't like the pick 5 option, I'd prefer a straight list of 25. many of my favorites hikes in the whites are on this list and only 6 trails I haven't hiked, yet.