High Peaks conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdl

Reaction score
For those who live near the High Peaks or have hiked there in the last day or two: are the mountains pretty saturated with all this rain ? Or has the rain missed the High Peaks ?

I'm planning on heading up there on Saturday for 3-4 days, but I may pass if I'll end up swimming up the trails this weekend.

I don’t live in the Adirondacks, or even New York, but my son and I did a hike there last week (Allen Mountain) and I don’t remember ever seeing the trail as wet as we found it. And no, I’m not making a joking reference to the Opalescent River crossing that must be done on foot. There was a lot of standing water in the vicinity of Lake Sally. Mud I recall from past hikes; not standing water.

It was also one of the two buggiest hikes we’ve ever done in the Adirondacks, the other being our August 2, 2000, climb of Seymour, which followed another wet July.

The two previous times I hiked Allen were in September, so maybe that has something to do with the wetness. Regardless, it was wet last week, and I imagine it’s wet this week as well. We’re hoping it will be drought-like between now and August, when we return. Good luck to all of us.

Be very careful with water crossings. I was along the N Fork of the Boquet yesterday and I've never seen it as high as it was. Crossing the river at the regular spots was impossible. The good news is the level is dropping.

I had the same experience with the N Fork on Thursday. It was not safe to cross it at the spot I intended; I had to go around on the route 73 bridge and then back to get where I was going. But it does go down fast, as you said. The adks have a pretty good drainage system. We hiked Bald Peak and Rocky Peak on Friday, and the ridge was dry. Now, it's pouring rain again...

7/31 crossing of Indian Pass Brook doable for tall hikers with experience with high water & poles definitely a big help. (Would not of had my wife cross)