Hiked a 14'er?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used this book for much of the trip planning and got maps once I arrived in CO. It allowed us to plan some dayhikes as well as some nice overnights.

I don't think a single book would be able to cover all the trails in CO.

-dave-

Tim, what a fantastic account of your Capitol trip ... and great photos! I'll be sure to copy your notes. I've done some of the easier 14ers back in the mid 90s prior to getting involved with state high points. That long sharp ridge appears to be an extended version of what one will face on Granite, the Montana HP, although we used a rope on Granite for safety. I'm looking forward to doing Capitol and some of the other more challenging 14ers.

Dennis, the link to the Capitol hike is to somebody else's - I wasn't part of the trip. Looks like a fun route :)

we hiked in Lizard Head Wilderness in Colorado's San Juan Range last June - an amazing hike !

spotted lots of wildlife on the trails, wildflowers were bloomin' and we were blown away by many incredible views

Deano posted a few pics on his site: http://www.welovetoski.com/coasttocoast/

there are a few 14ers in the area: http://fourteeners.freeservers.com/SJUAN.html

we felt the altitude even after spending four days at Telluride Bluegrass Festival (camping at about 10,000')

we stayed at Matterhorn Campground, right down the street - a local campground with showers

Last edited:
Outside of Leadville, you can do an excellent one-day hike that climbs Democrat, Lincoln, Bross and Cameron. It's probably 10 miles as a loop and starts at Kite Lake, a great camping area. Disclaimer: It's been a long time and for all I know the Kite Lake camping area could be gone these days.

But it's a Fantastic hike.

Mt Massive's another great hike, as Mr. Metzky mentioned. For easier, more subtle terrain you also might try Grays and Torres.

It's been years, but I can vouch for the Leadville climbs as described by sjk. I did a couple (Democrat and Lincoln, if memory serves...) and they were very good day hikes. Don't recall much about the camping areas though. Leadville is a really cool old mountain town (read: not touristy-at least 10 years ago) and it's worth going up there if your interested in doing more than just a hike.

I was reading about Wilson Peak in the San Juans. Has anyone hiked that peak, and if so could you describe the experience?

Another VFTT'r called and said 'where've you been?'. I guess considering my user name I have to jump in on this one. Pretty much everything I would have said has been said. I always found the trails in the Rockies easier than the trails in the Whites. You generally don't have the steep scrambles over rock (like 'Agony Ridge' on the way up Mt Lafayette). The trails I've done in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana tend to be less steep and have more switchbacks. The big difference though is the altitude. Try to spend a day or 2 above 8000' before you push on to 13-14K. My trick is to keep a slow steady pace instead of going faster with more breaks. Works for me.

In the summer, a number of folks have mentioned, the afternoon thunder storms. You're above timberline above 10,000'. You still have 4000' of altitude gain to climb totally exposed. Longs Peak is a great hike up a 14K'r. But once you hit the bolder field you're lightning bait if a storm comes over. I never summited Longs. We started late and just before we got to the Keyhole a storm came over the mountain out of the west. We waited it out in the shelter above the Keyhole (is it still there? This was years ago). Another storm hit us while we were on the ledge above. Finally we had to turn back and wait it out in the shelter. Here's a link to some photos on Longs Peak. BTW, If I remember correctly, the log at the Ranger Station listed over 200 people killed by lightning on the peak, and that was 25 years ago.

http://www.mtnds.com/hikes/mrh/mrh20.html

So, go early in the day. Go slow and bring plenty to drink. Hydration is the best defense against altitude sickness (in addition to acclimation).

BTW, has anyone here ever skied down Wheeler Peak in NM? I'll be out there for a couple of months in late Feb. I'd love to hear comments on that one.

Following is a Nation Park pdf info sheet about Longs Peak. It's pretty basic but gives you the essentials.

Have a great trip!

http://www.nps.gov/romo/downloads/longs/longs.pdf

The WMG for Co. imo is “Colorado’s Fourteeners” by, Gerry Roach, 2nd edition. We used it this summer to climb 9 14 ers. The directions are excellent. Maps are right on and easy to follow. Beware, the roads can be very bad. We had a Subaru wagon and were only able to go within a ½ mile of the trailhead to Sneffels. The ascent from YBB is up a loose scree slope to Lavender col at 13,500. In late June there still was a snow slope to the exit crack apx. 130’ below the summit. The move into the crack is easy- but if you blow it it’s a 200’ fall. Not a ten footer. A short (40’) piece of rope would suffice. We always left early (5-6 a.m.), summiting before ten & returning to the valley’s before 1:00 p.m. Sneffels is a class 2+, easier than Long’s but not a walk up. Handies, Sunshine, and Redcloud from Grizzly Gulch/ American Basin are walk-ups. You have a camping at the trailheads. Do not try the 28.4 variation in the guide. The route is closed, as the scree slope is very loose and dangerous! We went from the lowest 14 er, Sunshine, to the highest-Elbert. A half-mile from the campsite was the SW Ridge route. The next day was La Plata via NW Ridge. The Alpine meadows and wild flowers were superb. We finished with a tour of Democrat, Lincoln, and Boos from Kite Lake.That afternoon, as on several afternoons we had a lightning & hail storm. It is best to be clear of the summit ridges well before noon There are excellent camping sites at Kite Lake. Many trailheads have outhouses, but you must treat all the water sources. Trailhead elevations varied from >10K to 12K’. Ten miles was a long day. The altitude will slow you down-count on it. Drink often & copiously. We spent 3 days acclimating, going to 11, 12, and 13K’ before Sneffels. We had spent 2 days at 6-7K in Durango also. Good luck & contact me off the Board if you need more info.

Arm I was in Colorado Springs last year about the same time, and I wanted to do that hike also. From what I saw the first part of the trail uses switchbacks. The Cog train also stops on a trail that goes to the Barr Camp. There was a ton of snow on the mountain at the higher elevations. I decided to be touristry and did the train up. I then hiked in this park called "Garden of the Gods" nearby. Not hard hiking, but interesting.

Adrian

First if you happen to drive over Loveland Pass which is just below 12,000ft. park, get out, and hike up the mountain some. This will give you a really good idea of how different the elevation factor is.

2nd - I mountain biked above 13,000 feet and it was the oddest feeling. There is very little wind resistance. I was going so fast, a lot faster than I felt like I should have been going at times. Even on the downhills I had to stop and to catch my breath.

3rd - FIND HANGING LAKE! It is just outside of Glenwood Springs and it is one of the most amazing sites I've ever seen! Glenwood is really a great little town too! The hostel has over 3000 old vinal records!

Last edited:
Longs Peak

Longs is about a two hour drive from Denver and the road to Rocky Mt. National Park is spectacular once off the main drag through Thompson's Pass. Estes is a wonderful town not far from the trailhead with tons for great sites for camping in which you can see the mountain. You can drive to over 13000 to get yourself acclimated to the altitude via The Falls Road. There are several 13ers to do as day hike to also get yourself ready for Longs. The Keyhole route is the standard way with several distinct sections, the boulder field, the key hole, ledges, the trough, the narrows, and the home stretch. Longs is famous the the Diamond which looms very large. Many many technical routes up Longs if your looking more of a challenge. The summit is as flat as a pancake and to me about two football fields is size. The route sees much traffic and requires an early start so as to get off before the storms roll in. Something to think about. Reekee

Last edited: