Hiker rescued from Wildcat Ridge Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilgrim

Reaction score
Today's Conway Daily Sun reports that a 47 year old solo male hiker was rescued from the Wildcat Ridge Trail on June 19 after falling 20 feet and injuring his knee. AMC and F&G were involved in the rescue, which took about five hours.

I can't link to the story, since this content is available to subscribers only.

From the Conway Daily Sun report. (synopsis to not violate copywrite laws)

A 47 year old Somersworth man fell after he lost his footing and dropped 20 feet from a section called "the wall" Another hiker found him and went for help. A team from AMC was first on scene. Assistance from F&G and victim was carried from the woods. Treated at the scene but refused further medical assistance. Took 5 hours to carry him down.

Actually you had most of the information already. Boy, I'm glad I'm a subscriber. :eek: :rolleyes:

I remember "the wall" I actually didn't think a fall from there would be survivable. :eek: :confused: Glad he didn't get too seriously injured.

Keith

Last edited:
Is this "the wall." I remember going past it gingerly with a full pack and thinking, "Daaaaamn, wouldn't wanna fall there!!"

My pic is looking back at it after crossing, wall is on your right going up.

Can't think of anywhere else on the WRT more dangerous than that or a few other sections going up Wildcat E.

Glad he's ok.

Last edited:
I remember crossing that section and turning to put my back against the wall. I forgot about my pack (what an idiot) and it almost pushed me off the edge. Scared the living s**t out of me. :eek:

Keith

I remember that spot. There was some unstable snow on it so I couldn't see that the footholds actually existed. Took off my pack (including snowboard), switched from snowshoes to crampons, kicked a trail across, tested the steep snowy slope just beyond it, and set up an it-just-might-help-but-don't-test-it handrail with some 200-lb twine before going back for my pack. Took me forever 'cause I was nervous about it. Another hiker had caught up to me at that point; her reaction: "If it helps, I'm a WFR." Yeah, that helps a whole bunch. The fall looked survivable but not pleasant, and good luck getting back onto the trail.
(Actually, the way she pronounced it was "I'm a woofer." I managed to stop myself saying something like "well you're not exactly my type but I think you're being a little hard on yourself.")

nartreb said:
set up an it-just-might-help-but-don't-test-it handrail with some 200-lb twine before going back for my pack.
FWIW:

Might be useful as a handrail, but if you fall (or just put significant weight on it*), it will most likely break. And if you hold on to it as it breaks, the resultant fall could be worse than if you hadn't used the cord.

Rock climbers sometimes jump as they begin to fall to control their falling attitude.

* the leverage of this arrangement is such that the tension in the line is much greater than the force of a sidepull.

Doug

the leverage of this arrangement is such that the tension in the line is much greater than the force of a sidepull

What the heck? Classic DougPaul!!! (and once again i've gone all cross-eyed)

Yep, I was quite aware of that at the time. Used a twisted doubled line, used branches for shock absorption, set the downhill end to release easily, etc, but I still just regarded it as a psychological weapon - something to see other than empty space.

Gris,
see the first diagram at http://student.kuleuven.be/~m9916724/physics/physics.htm

Note especially the line "Thus if q equals 120° both forces are mg, if q equals 0° they are mg/2 and for 180° they are infinitely large." A typical "handrail" setup looks like the diagram with an angle close to 180%, so the force on the rope is a high multiple of the weight applied.

Note especially the line "Thus if q equals 120° both forces are mg, if q equals 0° they are mg/2 and for 180° they are infinitely large." A typical "handrail" setup looks like the diagram with an angle close to 180%, so the force on the rope is a high multiple of the weight applied.
Must resist... computations... lest head explode... (spoken in Kirk voice) :eek:

nartreb said:
Gris,
see the first diagram at http://student.kuleuven.be/~m9916724/physics/physics.htm

Ahh yes. Bringing me back to the halcyon days of free body diagrams from physics class.

I used to love doing free body diagrams.

Just a reminder, when I was in school we did all of them by hand, graphically on a drawing board, with a pencil, compass and ruller or computed with a slide rule. :eek: :D

Keith

Last edited:
Unless you were unlucky and landed on your head I don't think the fall would kill you, but I'm surprised he didn't sprain or break something. Maybe his HMO is only valid in MA and he wanted to drive home for treatment :)

I have hiked that trail twice in winter, both times I bushwhacked straight uphill in trees to avoid that sidehill move. A good example of how the A.T. is designed for good-weather use only.

nartreb said:
Yep, I was quite aware of that at the time. Used a twisted doubled line, used branches for shock absorption, set the downhill end to release easily, etc, but I still just regarded it as a psychological weapon - something to see other than empty space.
OK--good. In that case, if anybody in the reading audience wasn't aware...

Balance holds can be useful too.

Doug

Gris said:
Must resist... computations... lest head explode... (spoken in Kirk voice) :eek:
It isn't that difficult...

Just if you pull the center of a taut line aside, the tension in the line will be much higher than the applied force. The farther the line is from straight, the lower the ratio of the forces in the line over the applied force. And when the line is doubled, the force in the line is only 1/2 the applied force.

Doug

David Metsky said:
Are "free body diagrams" the chalk outlines they put around your body after the rope handrail breaks?
I assure you, they are not free, at least after the docs get finished working on you...

Been there, done that... :) or is it :( ?

Doug

I'm one of the co-adopters for the section of the Wildcat Ridge Trail from Rt. 16 to Wildcat D. The other adopters and I have kicked around ideas of a bad weather bypass. The area around Tdawg's photo is quite steep and can be daunting in foul weather. Whomever carved that section of rock would have scouted the area for any possible bypass before doing all that work. I'm not sure what's the right solution but any input would be helpful.

Hope the hiker recovers well and was not hurt too badly.

Years ago, before this treadway was cut into the rock, I believe there was considerable "discussion" about whether this was the best way to traverse this section. In case I have my facts mixed up, I'll refrain from saying any more. But in light of this accident, the issue may be revisited.

SilentCal said:
I'm one of the co-adopters for the section of the Wildcat Ridge Trail from Rt. 16 to Wildcat D. The other adopters and I have kicked around ideas of a bad weather bypass. The area around Tdawg's photo is quite steep and can be daunting in foul weather. Whomever carved that section of rock would have scouted the area for any possible bypass before doing all that work. I'm not sure what's the right solution but any input would be helpful.

Hope the hiker recovers well and was not hurt too badly.

NO, NO, NO! Do not change anything, don't make any kind of bypass or do anything else like that. It is fine. It is interesting and exciting the way it is. Don't try to remove every minor challange that exists. Even if I had actually managed to push myself off of that spot (see earlier post) and died I wouldn't want you to jackhammer that ledge or carve a new route to make it safe. I'm not speaking of you specifically but there are to many people out there already whose sole task in life is to squeeze every last drop of risk out of life. God, how a world like that would suck.

At most I might mention it in the guidebook if it isn't in there already or a warning at the trailhead. ;) :D

Keith

Last edited: