Hikers Dream Car

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High Clearance is most useful in mowing over small trees and rocks to better get into that 3/4 sized parking space on the edge of the parking lot that's closest to the trailhead, saving you from walking 62 paces from a spot further out. :D

(OK...just kidding......)

bintrepidhiker said:
I have a 2005 Honda CR-V and it has worked great for me thus far. Its got great ground clearance and the front seats fold down to sleep 2. Discovered placing a jacket or 2 folded up where the front seats pivot makes it flatter so when placing a sleeping pad under the sleeping bag makes it similar to sleeping on a flat surface. Slept very well the last couple times I've been in it. MPG has been between 26 and 28 depending on where i stop for gas and has a very stable and relaxing ride (maybe a little too relaxing as i've discovered coming back from some hikes).

Yeah...what he said!
Old style CR-V is excellent. Side opening doors are a better design when you carry kayaks on the roof.
Unfortunately,I'm about 2 inches too tall to sleep comfortably in it,but interior space is huge,good mileage,drives anywhere( "why is that stop sign so low and small?" "'cause we're on a snowmobile trail!Doh!"
Resale value is excellent,good track record for warranty repairs etc.
And it helps to work for a Honda dealer!

Before my X-Terra, my previous two vehicles were a Daewoo Lanos and a Saturn L200. After years of owning pick-up trucks, I decided to go for gas mileage and compactness. Here's my experience: ran the 2WD Daewoo into the back of a tractor trailer while driving across the Green Mountains to hike in NH and by all means should have been killed: got the Saturn hung up on a large rock on a logging road in the Adirondacks and needed about an hour to extricate it. Never again. :eek:

MichaelJ said:
I find it plus AWD invaluable for getting the car out of a snowed-in/plowed-in parking area at the end of a winter hike.

Cheers to that! I had to make myself a parking space in a 3.5 foot snowbank this past winter - thank gosh for 4WD!

KayakDan said:
Yeah...what he said!
Old style CR-V is excellent. Side opening doors are a better design when you carry kayaks on the roof.
Unfortunately,I'm about 2 inches too tall to sleep comfortably in it,but interior space is huge,good mileage,drives anywhere( "why is that stop sign so low and small?" "'cause we're on a snowmobile trail!Doh!"
Resale value is excellent,good track record for warranty repairs etc.
And it helps to work for a Honda dealer!

When I looked at this car, I thought that I could easily extend the sleeping area for one by sliding the passanger seat forward (it really moves forward alot), placing an upside down milk crate on the floor behind it and a pillow or cushion on top of the crate and voila - full length bed.

But I did not buy it because I've seen three of them (the entire vehicle) upside down in the median during icy driving conditions....and with my habits it would probably happen to me too. I think the redesign with the lower CG may have solved the problem

another rolla here

In the last 22 years I've put on 800,000 miles on my 2 two wheel drive pick-ups, business (concrete and masonry) and pleasure. When it came time for a new vehicle I decided to down size and got a basic corrola. NO power windows, no power locks, no traction control, no anti-lock brakes, just a minimalist car that goes everywhere(almost). Not only did I save thousands on initial price but I also save 60 dollars a year on insurance. Because my car has less motors and sensors and a lot less electric wires its much cheaper on maintenence, putting 400,000 miles on my vehicles that's a bunch of work I save. I like parking next to expensive cars, who will the theives target?

For driving in the snow I got studless ice tires, I haven't used them yet but my all season tires went through the snow easily enough. I usually wait for the plows to do their work before I go out, just seems sensible to me with the big SUVs hogging the road. Of course I don't get to break trail as often as I used to but that's a win-win situation, I'm a barefooter so I don't mess up the snow shoers trail :) .

The one drawback with the rolla is rough roads. I've driven the length of Jacque Cartier valley and around the perimeter road of BSP a couple times, but I go slowly.The clearance(5.5 inches) isn't bad but it's a light weight car with light weight suspension. Twenty miles an hour is too fast for the washboard roads of BSP. I don't drive down many logging roads, I figure I'm a hiker not an off-roader.

I think the corrolla is the most comfotable car I've ever driven, but I'm definitely in the minority, even among rolla owners. I take a lot of cat naps in my car and always wake-up refreshed, not sore from lousy seats.

Motobobo I think your mechanic is cheating you. Catalytic converter going is rare and when it does go there's usually a problem in combustion that causes it. The battery is cheap so that's predictable. I also never hear about fuel pump going so early. There are a lot of thieves masquerading as mechanics out there. I've got 55,000 miles on my 06 rolla and I've done all my own maintenance, taking plenty of pictures and saving all my receipts. I also bought a 100 dollar code reader for my car, you plug it in(usually under the steering wheel) and it gives a code describing your problem . You can look it up and go on line to find your problem. I like corrolland and 9th generation for info, those people are just as knowledgeable about cars as VFTTers are about mountains.

Really happy to hear that Tacoma and Suburu owners are satisfied, they seem to be excellant all round vehicles.

Sludge problem in Toyotas is definitely a problem, but when there's so many of them sold there's going to be a lot of problems, but the percentage is probably low. Oil changes are critical. One of the reasons for the sludge problem is people are bringing their cars to quick change places and they're not getting a good job. Another reason is there wasn't enough oil channels in the top end of the engine, Toyota put a couple more in their 1zzfe engines. That's why it's a good thing to learn to do your own oil changes, you really don't know what people are doing to your car.

grog

albee said:
95% of the people on this board don't need an exceptionally rugged vehicle to get them to trailheads. Safely driving through the snow is usually the limiting factor. For those of us that live over 2 hours from our favorite trailheads, having a car that gets good MPG is essential - for the environment as well as for our wallets.

I'm thinking that the best vehicle would be something that gets over 30 MPG, has full-time AWD, won't roll over, decent ground clearance, hatch-back for gear or dogs, and won't break the bank to purchase or maintain. Preferably also painted camoflage so I never have to wash it. Does that make me a red-neck?

No, a redneck wouldn't be seen driving such an amazing car, nor would they possess the intellectual clarity to dream one up. OK, you've described MY hiker dream car, where can I get me one????

Oh, and I think you hit the nail on the head, hitting people in the wallet is going to drive the change in the ecological impact of the cars we chose to drive....but wait, I'm digressing.......

Last edited:
rednecks

I like rednecks myself. They are usually happy to pull your suby out of the mudhole AND they'll give you a cold bud while they do it. NE US could stand some more rednecks.

I still say 440 Roadrunner and a mountain bike. Crown Vic with Police Intercepter could be another choice.

If your converter goes, check the oxygen sensor. If it is bad the motor could run rich and that will kill your converter.

grog said:
Motobobo I think your mechanic is cheating you.
May be a possibility, fuel pump died while in the Catskills. I had no choice but to replace it without beeing able to get a second advice (car wouldn't move, it was sunday). Catalyst died in the Catskills too (damn !) but I could still use it to get back home, where I checked with my local mechanic that confirmed the damn thing (didn't tell him something was wrong with the car...). Battery died when I came back from California to the airport parking. All of this within the same year. Lemon ? probably, heck I may be the owner who spent the most money on this type of car in the world...funniest thing is I still have a lot of payments on it.

Geez, you should stay away from the catskills, sounds like bad kharma! :)

One of the worst things for a battery's longevity is extreme heat. They say car batteries down south die much more than up here in the colder climates. Not that the juice gets drained any faster, but the heat does something with the chemical process in which it can't be simply recharged. A cold battery can be recharged at least. At least this is what I've read from the battery mfgrs...

Jay

Motabobo said:
Yeah well Toyota sucks :mad:.

Winston Churchill once wrote about democracy as a form of government. The same could apply with Toyota:

Toyota is the worst brand of automobile except all those other brands that have been tried from time to time

Marty

Batteries

Car batteries are one of the easiest parts to keep reliable. I replace my car batteries every 3 years no matter what. Costco has great batteries and for most cars they cost less than $60. That's $20/year not to be stranded in the middle of winter on a trail head with no cell phone service!

Kevin

i have a question for the crv and element owners; how do they do in the snow?
I am moving to Accord N.Y. from NYC and haven't owned a car in about 10 years so i would really appreciate any input.
i am leaning towards the Honda's over the Toyota's due to price and personal preference.
I am a Sculptor so i need room which is why i am leaning towards the element. thanks.....los :D

charlos said:
i have a question for the crv and element owners; how do they do in the snow?
I am moving to Accord N.Y. from NYC and haven't owned a car in about 10 years so i would really appreciate any input.
i am leaning towards the Honda's over the Toyota's due to price and personal preference.
I am a Sculptor so i need room which is why i am leaning towards the element. thanks.....los :D

I love my '98 Honda CRV and it does just fine in the snow with its AWD. I drive all over the north country to 4 different towns for my job and I had no problem in the winter. We get a lot of snow up here north of the notch and very cold temps. I don't have a garage where I live, so my CRV has to sit out all night. The only time it thought twice about starting up was when the temps dipped to minus 33 degrees below 0, and it still started, it just took a few seconds longer. I love the cargo space - plenty of room for my bicycle and hiking gear. I'm a big fan of Hondas, having owned an '86 Prelude before the CRV. The Prelude lasted 12 years and I SOLD it with 224,000 miles on it. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy an Element. It may be a great car, but it just looks like a big ugly box to me. My 2 cents for what it's worth....

Thanks for the beta Roxi, i agree the element takes some getting used to visually.
What would you guess to be the height limit of objects which you could slide into the back of a crv?

charlos said:
Thanks for the beta Roxi, i agree the element takes some getting used to visually.
What would you guess to be the height limit of objects which you could slide into the back of a crv?

In mine ('98), with the back seats folded down, the height limit is around 3 feet depending on where exactly in the back your item is sitting, and how large it is. I liked the design of the CRV up through '06, but the '07 version has been changed noticeably. Your best bet is to take a measuring tape with you when you look at one, and measure different places within the back area.

charlos said:

I have an '05 CR-V and withe the seats folded down and forward you have just a hiar over 3 feet in height to work with and closer to 4 feet in length. It has come in handy when I've moved (or helped others move) from one apartment to another. If you are sleeping in the front seats, long as you are no taller than 5'8'' or 5'9'' you'll fit perfectly :)

charlos said:
Element is bigger than the CR-V for interior space. If that's the main concern,then the Element is your ride. Also the Element is a lot more user friendly if you get it dirty inside,as it's "washable"
As for the three rollovers that John Swanson mentioned,I would be curious as to what yearst the vehicles were. In '02 the track was widened by over an inch. Doesn't sound like much but it greatly affects stability. Never had an issue with my '02 or my '05 CR-V,but I did get my Pilot up on two wheels coming back from Quebec in a blizzard. The traction control took over and saved my butt! Pretty amazing!

In general,from a dealer standpoint,the CR-V is a pretty reliable car. Haven't seen any big warranty issues with them.

BTW,if you are in the market for a new vehicle,Honda is having a major push to get Accord sales going,and there are some killer deals going. In some cases,an Accord ends up being cheaper than a Civic!

thanks for all the great input everyone i will let you know how it turns out!
peace.....los.