Hikers Dream Car

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an '07 Jeep Compass 4x4 (but not a true 4x4) ... similar in many respects to the CRV and RAV4, only $$$ cheaper. And it's a Jeep. I traded in my Wrangler for this car and I have been extremely happy with it. Over 8 inches of ground clearance, plenty of power (altho it won't burn anything off the line, it moves quickly and has lots of torque), good ride, etc. I am getting 26+ mpg in mixed driving, never had it on the interstate for very far so I don't know what I'd get on a road trip. 26+ is far superior to the 18 mpg my Wrangler got. The Compass has been criticized for its "plasticky interior" and "loud engine" but I don't think the criticisms are valid. The Jeep Patriot is basically the same vehicle and you can get it with a low range CVT transmission (not available with the 5 speed manual) ... and the Patriot has similar dimensions as the older Jeep Cherokee. The Patriot base price is less than the Compass but comes with fewer "amenities" but the price becomes almost the same if you comparably equip it.

I looked at the CRV and RAV4 and the Escape ... the CRV and RAV4 were pricey. The base Escape (FWD, 4 cyl, 5 speed) is weak on power but otherwise seems an okay vehicle.

My greatest "fear" about a hybrid is the longevity of the battery pack ... and what happens after it's reached its expected life span?

just my two cents ....

Volvo 240

My ideal hiking/skiing/biking car would be a Volvo 240 wagon. 5 speed manual, preferably '90+.
While we are talking about the perfect car, it would have a few mods:
limited slip, preferably the factory clutch-type
front coilovers and longer and stiffer rear springs to jack up ride height in winter, and support a bunch of gear
2 nice big round Hella driving lights for overkill
and all the other normal Volvo-perv mods...
Now if I wanted to get crazy, a VW TDI swap....

I took my old 240 wagon on a 4x4 trail to the backside of Monadnock... made it through with only a few scratches underneath. :) Now I drive a 1978 Volvo 242 GT - pretty much the coolest car ever, but I often yearn for the extra versatility of the wagon. Also, though the '78 is dead reliable, I would be hesitant to drive it to the West coast or something.

back to the future

Here I am checking out a custom DeLorean, if I buy this I can climb the Adk46 before Bob Marshall. If it was me that was #1, maybe the 46-ers would be willing to update their list.