hiking the 48 ???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikem'all

Reaction score
I finished my 46ers in the ADK last year and want to move on to the White Mountains. I used the web site Adirondack Journey for my trail info really helpful just a great website. Wondering if there is any good site for the Whites? I am also wondering how many of the 48 can be done in ranges. I like to hike big day's with alot of miles seeing I can't get out as often as I would like. I bought the guide book The Mountains Of New Hampshire but they really don't talk about Mtn's that can be done together.

Mohammed will get you to the mountains

and trust me on this..VFTT'rs have tried all kinds of multiple peak routes..lots of information out there

have fun

As Silverfox said, many peaks can be done together - from 2 to 7 in a hike. Many multi-peak hikes will require 2 cars however. The Presis can been done as a 23 mile day hike to grab 7, or broken up in several combinations. Franconia Ridge gets you 4. A Hale-Zealand-Bonds traverse gets you 5. Twins and Galehead can be a nice loop. Many more.

You might want to pick up a Map Adventures map of the White Mountains and mark the 48 peaks to visually see what are located together.

http://www.mapadventures.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=12

If you don't have a second car, you could always post a hike in the Trips & Events section and invite others to join you.

I also finish my ADK46 last year and we are now doing the NH48. :)

Following the suggestions mentioned of the AMC White Mountain Guide, the 2 sites suggested, here is another excellent suggestion from another forum member, Jeremy or "rocket21. :)
An excellent website site that I recommend highly.
Jeremy's site, and also the ones from Mohammed's and Dave's, and the AMC White Mountain Guide, from Steve Smith, are my main sources of research. Thank you guys.

http://www.franklinsites.com/hikephotos/nh4000footers.php

The aforementioned Mohamed Elozy site is like the companion to the WMG. It's very handy and saves adding up miles and feet (elevation) for many common routes.

When I did the NH48, it took 26 trips to cover 288.8 miles and 93,060 feet for an average trip of 11.1 miles and 3580 feet in a total time of 191:20. Una_Dogger will laugh when she sees this ;) I now wish I knew how many miles of driving were involved... I could probably compute it.

I did some four-fors:

Hale + Zealand + South Twin + North Twin
Carter Dome, South Carter, Middle Carter, Moriah

Some three-fors:

Tom + Field + Willey
Monroe + Eisenhower + Pierce

Lots of two-fors

And then there are some singles... which you can always double up - Any two of Cabot, Waumbek, Hale, Cannon, Tecumseh makes a decent day.

I've never done more than four - but I am planning a Presidential Traverse this summer to try for 7 or 8.

Tim

There's also an excellent guidebook by Steve Smith & Mike Dickerman called "The Four-Thousand Footers of New Hampshire". I've used this book thoroughly and have really enjoyed it. It's now in it's 2nd edition.

You can do many of the hikes as multi peak days. There are numerous ones that are easily done as a duo: Kinsmans, Liberty-Flume, Lincoln-Lafayette, Osceolas, Hancocks, Twins, Jackson-Pierce, Pierce-Eisenhower, Tripyramids, Passaconaway-Whiteface, Washington-Monroe, Adams-Madison, Wildcats. The three Carters, Cannon-Kinsmans and Willey-Field-Tom and three trios of peaks that are easy to moderate day hikes. Franconia Ridge traverse will get you 4 peaks, Presidential traverse will get you 7 peaks and you can easily add Jackson to get 8. Moriah-Carters & Wildcats (6 peaks) can be done in an 18 mile day trip. The Pemi Loop can get you 8 to 10 or even 12 depending upon how exuberant/foolish you wish to be. There are other combinations which can get you 4 peaks but would require car spots. I'm sure you'll see advice on other combinations as well but that is what come to mind off the top. Have fun.

JohnL

Also, don't forget to consider that there are some unconventional ways you can combine a few of them, by using a 2nd-car-spot, hitch-hiking, or a bike-ride between trailheads before or after the hike. Some of my favorite trips in the Whites were done using these methods.

P.S. Save the "Bonds" for a 70-degree sunny day with a light breeze on a weekday in September :D

P.P.S. I still don't think anybody has climbed the 48 barefoot or backwards yet. Just something to think about ;)