Hiking the Cog ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip

Reaction score
What are the rules regarding hiking next to the tracks ? Is that considered private property ? What about skiing in winter ? I thought it would present some good photo opps.

What are the rules regarding hiking next to the tracks ? Is that considered private property ? What about skiing in winter ? I thought it would present some good photo opps.

not sure about summer time but I have friends that have skied it. and the open the train to skiers some winters they take you up 4 miles and let you ski down. I dont see why you couldnt hike up next to the tracks.

I have no idea what the official rules are but we (two of us) walked along side the cog tracks this July 4 starting from where Westside trail crosses the tracks. A couple of trains passed us going up and down and no one said anything to us. No one said anything when we got to the bottom and several employees saw us. I even went inside and bought a couple of Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice creams.

That said, would we walk the tracks again? Probably not. It is rough going and not as scenic or picturesque as one would think it would be. We did see a few neat things along the way: Frog Rock, Jacob's Ladder up close, Half-Way House with a sign saying that it is exactly level (compared to the cog rr angle), the water tower at Waumbek Tank and lots of coal droppings and old rr timbers.

Just our experience. Yours may be different. :D

We ran down the tracks a long, long, long, time ago. A couple of trains passed and they yelled at us as we hopped off. We were on the tracks themselves mind you.

Several times we've followed them near the top and nobody said anything.

I asked permission once a number of years ago, back when I hiked with Duffy, and was told: "Absolutely no, there had been some problems in the past and there were insurance problems etc., etc."

I believe that applies to the initial section going up, Higher up where the Gulfside meets the rails I've never encountered any problems.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss. I suspect that if you ask permission you will be turned down.

In terms of winter hiking - two years ago when a friend and I did Washington via the usual Ammo/Jewell loop, we decided on a whim since we had seen bc skiers near the cog to try our luck at hiking beside it. Two years ago there were no longer trains, so no Cog personnel were around. The natural route wove from one side of the cog to the other (always crossing under) and occasionally we encountered skiers heading down or on their way up. It was a different way down, and based upon that experience would consider it a viable escape route in winter, especially since much of it had been opened up when the new power line for the summit was buried.

Personally, I probably wouldn't do the route again as it creates a "non-hiking" experience for me - much like using a ski slope. But, that's me.

It is a fast way down, and a viable escape route.

Last edited:
Personally, I probably wouldn't do the route again as it creates a "non-hiking" experience for me - much like using a ski slope. But, that's me.

It is a fast way down, and a viable escape route.

I would agree with Mr. Rooney on this one. It get's skied up and down on a regular basis when conditions permit...as long as the Cog is not running. I would also agree that it is not the best terrain/footing for hiking as his comment about "much like hiking on a ski slope" is spot on. It does provide an excellent handrail for an escape route in low visibility. Also if you are looking for a direct line for skinning up on skis I would recommend it.

cog

I took my mom up the Cog and looked quite closely along the route to see if it would be a viable route in the summer just for kicks and I thought it looked unpleasant at best. As a bailout route in certain conditions, I wouldnt rule it out.

What are the rules regarding hiking next to the tracks ? Is that considered private property ? What about skiing in winter ?
The cog railway tracks and adjoining are private property, they bought it long before there was a National Forest. As mentioned, several years ago they ran ski trains partway up and groomed the area next to the tracks, the FS wouldn't give them a permit to access NF lands and it was a commercial failure.

Many years ago the tracks were the preferred winter route to the summit, but for liability reasons I'm sure they'd say no if asked anymore. By listing it as an emergency bailout route they don't have to say you should use it normally.

That was my first descent down from Washington. Early June 1974 17 years, old.. whoo hooo, and just graduated HS. yah..don't do the math..ok
First hike period!!!
Up Ammo and onto the summit. LoC Hut was closed, but the old wooden summit structure was there. THAT was something to see. I was bummed when they replaced it. It was sunny and about 64 degrees on top, and a gentle breeze to boot. After being told it would be cold and windy. (yah right) you just wanted me to lug your army jacket up here!
We just kind of started following the tracks down. Got out of the way when one (train) was coming, not too far down. Then got back on and went almost all the way down on the tracks. 2 of us stayed on them over Jacobs Ladder, but the other 2 said no way. Yah, wouldn't do that again. The ties are NOT evenly spaced for human stride, and every now and then, one was missing.:eek: Extreme focus!
We got off as we approached the bottom, figuring that they would yell at us to.
All I can say...I WAS HOOKED!;)

Got out of the way when one (train) was coming, not too far down. Then got back on and went almost all the way down on the tracks. 2 of us stayed on them over Jacobs Ladder, but the other 2 said no way. Yah, wouldn't do that again. ;)

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I haven't been through there (on the Cog) in about 40 years and didn't know if it was totally navigable OFF the tracks, I remember some ravine type crossings. Still think it would be sort of cool thing to do.

We hiked next to the tracks a couple winters ago and we were joined by scores of skiers; some skiing down Burt Ravine and some down into Ammo. We left the tracks at Jacobs Ladder and took the ridge up to the summit.

Great views down into Ammo Ravine from near Jacob's Ladder:
5940627911_58149d86c1.jpg

The descent view coming down to Jacob's Ladder:
5940627981_e2ef187f46.jpg

JohnL