How did you celebrate your 48th?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p2piper

Reaction score
Hello, all -

Nancy and I will be climbing our 48th 4,000 footer in NH pretty soon and we've been brainstorming ideas on how to celebrate. That led us to wondering how other people celebrated their 48th NH 4,000 footer. We'll be doing Jefferson via the Caps Ridge Trail. We thought about dinner at the Mt Washington Hotel and ruled that out. So we're still thinking.

How did you celebrate (or how do you plan to celebrate) reaching your 48th 4,000 foot summit in New Hampshire?

Pat

My 48th was spent on top of Moriah. The day couldn't have been more perfect! Good friends, sunshine,singing and lots of laughter!!

Hope your day is a great one!! :) I look forward to reading your TR.
kmac

p2piper said:
Hello, all -
How did you celebrate (or how do you plan to celebrate) reaching your 48th 4,000 foot summit in New Hampshire?

Pat

You mean people finish! I have been doing this for 1/3 of my life, and still have 2 left!
but seriously, I plan to finish by inviting some of my closest hiking friends, and ones that I havn't been able to hike with in some time. Maybe afterwards we would do a BBQ or a least get some ice cream at Bishops! Oh I think one of my friends might bring some gas station champagne.
WSC

Depends how many people you want to invite!

Pat and I finished our 48th alone on Wildcat E (not D, a century ago). We each drank a glass of wine and wondered why the trail down had gotten so steep and scary. :eek:

We finished our 115th in 2005 on Marshall in the ADK's in the company of about 20 lovely VFTTer's and then retired to Spence's BBQ/Gathering for more celebrating. That was much more fun. :D

My 48th was a wonderful hike up Moosilauke with a fine group of 23 (?) good friends, followed by taking over the entire lower room at the Woodstock Station for a combined celebration with another group of friends who that day finished their 67 and 115 simultaneously on Carrigain.

By contrast, my 67th was in the rain up on Mansfield with just a few good friends, followed by a mellow evening around the campfire with other hung-over friends.

No matter how you celebrate it, from solo to surrounded, you'll feel rewarded.

I am planning on finishing my NH48 soon, so I was also thinking about what would be a great way to celebrate...

I finished my ADK46 last summer on Big Slide, summited at sunrise and drinking mimosa's, maybe this time I will finish under a full moon, drinking tequila ?

We finished the all season NH48 alone on Bondcliff (mid-week) and celebrated with a toast of champagne - dinner out in Lincoln afterwards.

We finished the Winter NH48 surronded by a group of special friends also on Bondcliff, followed by a great meal of Chinese food in Lincoln with several of the group who had joined us.

We finished the NEHH on Baxter Peak with two friends who had joined us (one of them finished the day before on Fort peak) and I believe celebrated by making a nice grilled salmon dinner back at the cabin.

We've joined others who when they have finished their lists which have been quite affairs with brownies or a bottle of beer and one or two others, to ones filled with ice cream on the summit, helium balloons, pray flags, champagne, beer etc... in both perfect weather and blizzards.

Finishing on Jefferson - great peak, nice views - have a great time! (and be sure to let everyone know!)

mixed bag

The 48, solo on Zealand.
A pint of some German smoked beer hit the spot. :)

timmus said:
I finished my ADK46 last summer on Big Slide, summited at sunrise and drinking mimosa's, maybe this time I will finish under a full moon, drinking tequila ?
That's funny I started my ADK adventure under a full-moon on Dix.
Finished 6 years to the day later on Sawteeth.
My friend and I, both celebrating B-days, chose vodka and a nip of captain for this B-pack. :)
67/115
North Brother, with four good friends & a little sierra nevada. :)
NEHH ? who knows, but it's getting better all the time.
Steve-o

Reactions: arm
I spent my 48th "celebration" in the Waterville Valley ski area first aid room getting my head bandaged up. True story. It was a late November, very windy with some snow showers, when my son, and his best friend, and I were on the Mt. Tecumseh Trail doing my 48th. As we were hiking along, I heard a very loud cracking noise to my left, I remember thinking that the sound was way too close for comfort. Next thing I remember is being knocked on my arse with a spout of blood flowing down my shirt, my son's friend was screaming, "a tree fell on Dan!" I managed to get up on my feet and lifted the tree from my son, fortunately most of the weight of the fallen tree was supported by another tree on the other side of the trail. At this point both of the boys were staring at me wide eyed, with total panic setting in. I then realized how much I was bleeding, facial cuts are profuse! Luckily, two good samaritans came along, took my pack and walked me, and the boys, over to the first aid station at the ski area. The first aid guy could not believe I had hurt myself while hiking, surely I must have been skiing on some black diamond trail. To top it all off, Gene Daniell later told the story when I got my patch at the AMC 4k ceremony.

Moosilauke is a popular one, I guess. For me it was the farthest from home. Eleven of us went up the beautiful Glencliff trail then took on the 60 mph March winds up the summit cone. It was one of those weekends when plans got changed due to weather--we climbed on Sunday when it was much nicer out. :eek: The celebration had to wait until we got back in the trees, where we broke out a couple cold beers and Rocks'n'Rolls presented the patch to me. That was VERY cool!!!

After that a few of us had beers and a little food at the Woodstock Station, then I returned to MtnPa's and MtnMama's where I had stayed for the weekend. Played some tunes with Gris, Sherp and MikeH at some point, but I think that was a kind of "pre" celebration the night before. :eek: Nothing like anticipating success!

Now 67's gonna be another story. :D

How I celebrated each list (alone or with friends) seemed to mirror the way I did the list. For example, the NH 48's were mostly solo, so my final (Carrigan) was a solo hike. But, the next list (NE 67's on Saddleback) was a group affair as I'd done most of those with friends, and the same is true of the NE100's - Boundary - was done with friends. OTH - the 115's was a solo on Esther as most of the ADK's/Catskills were solo.

Whatever works for you is best - if you want company, all you need to do is post the hike here and you'll have it.

However you do it, savor and enjoy the day, and it will most likely be bittersweet. Accomplishing most goals are.

My 48th was celebrated on Carrigain in unexpected snow with a bit of bubbly and two other friends who were celebrating their 48th, another who was on his 4th (?) go round, and The Dave, who was on his second go round.

My 67th was celebrated on Old Speck just with Metsky who unbeknownst to me brough a split of bubbly in his pack. We drank and took in the views on the fire tower before heading off to join Audrey and Pat for a truely lovely weekend in Maine.

Looking forward to my second round--just 9 to go! Might think about the 100th list....

Fun times!

My 48th was Isolation, alone and in the rain, after staying up all night at Mizpah to help with an S&R then up early to cook and serve b-fast because the croo was dead tired. By the time I got back to Mizpah I was too exhausted to do much of anything.

My 67th was on Abraham in Maine with some great friends, some lovely bubbly, and an absolute perfect day. The previous day I'd done 65 and 66 solo so it had a nice bookend feel to it.

My 48th was also Isolation, solo.

I took a few pictures, hiked back to my car at Ammo Ravine TH reaching it after dark, and drove home.

Doug

Last edited:
I finished in a monsoon on Jackson - which was fitting, because so many of my 48 were in the rain. I had a good number of friends there, and met a few new ones...there was also a bottle of Glenlivet passed around (courtesy of LittleBear!) We later made it to the defunct/burned down Mooseland Grill for a nice meal and some beverages, and then over to mtnmama and mtnpa's in Bethlehem where the party continued, as did the rain!

I finished my on Mt Carrigain, alone... with mild hang over (long story...) I celebrated it by hiking my first ADK 46ers the next week.

WSC, no gas station champagne for you, I'll be prepared this time :eek:.

I finished mine solo on Isolation as well -- took some pics, drank some sarsaparilla from Zebs Store in N Conway and then hiked back to my car.

After that I had a dinner with my boss (of all people!) over at Delaney's in North Conway. Hell he even paid :)