How did you celebrate your 48th?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moriah (this was NE 65) on my Birthday with my Mom (who hikes some in her 60's, she was 56 then) & my wife. We brought a bottle of Champagne. (When I did Haystack in 1995, a 46'er who finished ther brought Champagne & shared with my friend & I)

When I finished 48 X 2 in NH, picked Cannon & my non-hiking Dad & his wife + my two kids & my wife (who was not back to hiking strength after a bad illness) took the tram up & met me at the top.

Kevin Rooney said:
However you do it, savor and enjoy the day, and it will most likely be bittersweet. Accomplishing most goals are.

Well said, Kevin. I suspect reaching my "48th" soon will feel somewhat anticlimatic.

Pat and Nancy, you've asked the very question I've been wondering lately, and I guess Timmus has too. You picked an excellent moutain. Jefferson is magnificent; I hope to get a hike up there sometime this afternoon. So far I plan to finish on the Wildcats with one or more friends, and possibly celebrate at Moat Mountain Brewery afterwards (plan subject to change).

From Jefferson, however, you've got a variety of options: celebrating on the summit, Fabyan's restaurant on 302 near the Base Road, Mt. Washington (although you said you decided against that), Highland Center in Crawford Notch, Bretton Woods, and/or several restaurants in Bethlehem to the west or Lincoln to the south. Whatever you choose to do, I hope you two have a wonderful time! It has been a real pleasure reading your trip reports and enjoying your journey along with you. :)

I did most of the 48 solo, but the family accompanied me to Carrigain for the last on a perfect September day. We toasted the end of the quest with champagne that we hauled to the summit.

Top of Isolation with my mom, who also completed it. 25 years in the making. Beautiful September day. Not much for celebrations, we had our lunch and walked out. I did have a (few) nice cold beers in the parking lot waiting for me.

Coincidently, my friend completed his NH48 on Saturday on Carter Dome. Since we were camping, we didn't have anything with us. So, we just took some pics and a good handshake.

I always saved the celebration until after I got down the mountain, as I have been been known to take a tumble or two!

Celebrated my 48 after doing Carrigain with Ray on a warm February day in deep, soft snow. We went for a hungry man dinner in Bartlett, NH and then headed home to be surprised by my wife and two friends, who had a beer and shot of tequila waiting for me.

Celebrated my 67 after doing Mansfield in August. We had a group of 11, most who were work friends, as well as my dear wife. Also ran into VFTT member Roadtripper and his entourage on the summit! After the hike, we had champagne & sodas, cheese/crackers and grapes in the parking lot, followed by a dinner at a microbrew pub. Interestingly, I did take a nasty fall while walking on a dirt road to the parking lot, after descending Mansfield. Guess I jinxed myself :rolleyes: :confused:

I also had the privilege to be part of Mad Townie's 48th hike and post-hike celebration :cool:

Marty

Last edited:
The 48th on my 48th ?

I'm a very casual list hiker, mostly just trying to do things I haven't done before or in a while.
BUT: It just struck me that, with some planning, I could complete the 48 on my 48th B-Day.
I need to look at my maps.

Last edited:
I'm still working on my 48, but accompanied a friend to her finish on Isolation. There were four of us - we toasted her with champagne (wish it could have been a surprise, but she found out about our stash on a previous, abandoned attempt of Isolation), shared a little with the summit cairn, and hiked out to a great, tasty dinner.

My last will likely be Adams - I'm thinking of hiking into Madison Hut and climbing up to watch the sunrise.

I finished the 48 on Bondcliff with my wife on day 4 of a backpacking trip in which it rained all but the last day, day 4! We celebrated with a long walk out to the car and a 4 hour drive back to NY. For 67/115 I climbed West Bigelow with a NY couple that was on their way to Katahdin for #115. We had just met them on the trail. Celebrated that one with 5.5 hour drive back to NY and a climb of Allen the next day. :eek:

For me, #48 (Owl's Head) was also #115 - well #113 at the time since Spaulding and Reddington weren't on the list yet. All were solo and I celebrated by starting work on the Catskill 3500. :D

Last edited:
with a bunch of Budweisers at the Imp shelter...

Reactions: arm
still picking away at this list becuase I just ain't motivated to hike some of the ones I have left - got about 10 left and they will be done as backup hikes when weather interferes with better hikes/climbs anyway - when it happens - it will involve massive amounts of beer, food, fire, freinds and much more utter nonsense.

maybe i need to just take a few days and do it - I need an excuse for a party....

Reactions: MEB
giggy said:
I need an excuse for a party....

Hey, the 20th of July is a Friday... how's that for an excuse to party?

Seriously, though... finishing a list is like getting married. Everyone celebrates with you on the big day, but then a few days later after the honeymoon is over, you realize your life really isn't that much different and you still look at other mountains! :eek: At least you can "renew your vows" every time you complete the list again! ;)

albee said:
...Seriously, though... finishing a list is like getting married. Everyone celebrates with you on the big day, but then a few days later after the honeymoon is over, you realize your life really isn't that much different and you still look at other mountains! :eek: At least you can "renew your vows" every time you complete the list again! ;)

Gee Albee, what an interesting analogy (..."like getting married...big day").

To be honest, I thought their original idea about dinner at the Mt Washington Hotel is a dreamy one and worth the investment! However, what I've been able to decipher from most folks on this thread is that what appears to matter the most is not how you celebrate nor where, but the fact that you're sharing your big moment with people that are special to you--friends and/or family (and significant others even)! I too can't imagine a more fulfilling setting than this!!

I am still slowly pecking away on my list and also had the idea that I'd try to time it with my 48th birthday as well (another couple of years) but being the hopeless romantic that I am, this thread gives me even more dreamy ideas! :D

Good luck on your 48th and surely it'll be a super one!

Last edited:
nh 4K december of 05 solo on isolation wishing the person i'd started hiking them with was there too.

bryan

No big celebrations for us. Duffy and I finished the NH48 solo on Isolation. Shared a sandwich and walked back to the car.

I finished the NE4000 on Hamlin with two friends. Duffy of course was not allowed in the park. It was one of my very rare hikes without him. It was Oct. and very cold with some snow. We paused only to take a picture then continued over to Baxter where one of my friends finished up. Took the traditional picture at the 'End of the AT' sign, went back to the car and drove back to Bridgton.

Duffy and I finished the NE100 highest solo on Pico in Vt. after a BW on Mendon. I thought we would be all alone but ran into Unadogger and Drewski. Unadogger took a picture of Duffy and me shaking hands. It was a picture that was placed on a number of Airedale websites. We then walked back to the car and drove back to Bridgton. On the way back I stopped at a dinner in VT near the NH border. Had the best Rubin sandwich I've ever eaten.

As I said, no big celebrations, but just being with Duffy on those hikes is joy enough. :)

MichaelJ said:
My 48th was a wonderful hike up Moosilauke with a fine group of 23 (?) good friends, followed by taking over the entire lower room at the Woodstock Station for a combined celebration with another group of friends who that day finished their 67 and 115 simultaneously on Carrigain.

By contrast, my 67th was in the rain up on Mansfield with just a few good friends, followed by a mellow evening around the campfire with other hung-over friends.

No matter how you celebrate it, from solo to surrounded, you'll feel rewarded.

Gotta say, your 48th was a fine, fun day! It was the first time I met a lot of VFTTers. I felt honored to be part of such a great gathering. :D

Five years ago today, on the 19th anniversary of my first Adirondack climb, I finished my 46 on Whiteface, climbing with my honey, Susan, and Harry K. We were met at the castle by my son and my parents, who had gone up in the car. They had some pound cake for us, plus a package of pudding and a beer which Susan had bought for Harry. Harry didn’t join us for supper, but the rest of us ate at Cameron’s Restaurant in Lake Placid, where Glen and Sue and their waitresses surprised us with a parade of sorts — with Glen blowing a trumpet and the waitresses waving pompoms — and a sheet cake with ‘‘Newest Adirondack 46er’’ (or something like that) on it.

Seventy-eight days later, one day after my 46th birthday and two days before the 25th anniversary of my first-ever mountain climb (Mount Washington), Susan and I climbed the Bonds, which led to my completion of the White Mountain 4000-Footer list atop West Bond. I took off my shirt and exulted, that was about it. We’d spent the night before the hike at the Loon Mountain lodge, which was way overpriced, but seemed to have the only vacancy in the vicinity. Susan treated me, because it was my birthday, but I don’t think I ever fell asleep. Still managed to hike 23 miles and drive all the way back home, though.

About two years later, Susan completed her 46 on Rocky Peak Ridge. I presented her with a 46er patch on top, and we had a quiet dinner together at Cameron’s later.

Four days after that, I completed the Northeast 111ers list as we climbed Camels Hump with the ubiquitous Harry K. Harry had finished the same list five days earlier. Susan and I shared about half a beer which Harry had brought up for us.

Last year, on my 50th birthday, Susan joined me for her first and only hike of the year as I completed the New England Hundred Highest on Stratton Mountain. We had supper at Famous Bill’s in Greenfield, Mass., if memory serves.

With any luck, Susan will complete her White Mountain, New England, and Northeast 4Ks this year — 17 to go. No plans of attack or for how or where to finish, yet.

Last edited: