How do you store your gear?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, 'fess up. Anyone out there, other than me, who's been motivated to straighten-up the gear area as a result of this thread? Or at least made a mental note to consider thinking about straightening it up?

OK, 'fess up. Anyone out there, other than me, who's been motivated to straighten-up the gear area as a result of this thread? Or at least made a mental note to consider thinking about straightening it up?

:D I'm just grateful to be back in a house that has a garage so I have a place to throw it! My goal at the moment is to organize the bikes, kayak, and hiking gear over to one side so I can get the car in before it snows. If I succeed in doing that, I'll be happy! ;)

Nope. If you ask me, I have my belongings stategically located in easy to find places. If you ask my wife, I have sh@! all over the house. Who would you believe?

The house next door to mine is for sale. This thread has me thinking, wouldn't it be cool to have a gear house?.

The pack room, the sleeping bag room, the kitchen in which you'd keep all your stoves, food supplies and fuel.

wow..

nice set up..

I have the spot for a gear room but it looks nothing like that..are those hardwood floors....

I have a good size alcove by the furnace with place for hanging stuff..off the sprinkler pipes of course..and some shelves, bins and drying racks

and a few scattered piles around the house..cause..well..I'm just going to use it tomorrow..why pack it away.....

:D I'm just grateful to be back in a house that has a garage so I have a place to throw it! My goal at the moment is to organize the bikes, kayak, and hiking gear over to one side so I can get the car in before it snows. If I succeed in doing that, I'll be happy! ;)
Moving can be a blessing in this regard. At least you get to make it all neat for a point in time.

And I definitely think Neil's on to something.

The house next door to mine is for sale. This thread has me thinking, wouldn't it be cool to have a gear house?.

The pack room, the sleeping bag room, the kitchen in which you'd keep all your stoves, food supplies and fuel.

Taking it a step further...www.adkgearstorage.com or some such...pay by the week...by the month...by the year...franchises throughout the Adirondacks...

On the other hand, there's already a website that covers this. :D

No way, Kevin!

My conviction on being a gear storage slob has grown stronger, because this post shows that there are others out there just like me:cool:

I now have an overwhelming urge to empty the contents of my pack and spread them across the basement floor ;)

Since I don't want to be an anomaly, I think I'll just throw all the stuff in a pile in the middle of the floor ;)

silverflox said:
..are those hardwood floors....
Actually they're pine floors, very soft, but they look nice. Most of the house is wide pine, 18" to 24" in places, and probably date back to the original build in 1815. Some of the upstairs floors are still rough cut, but at least they're painted. They hold the carpet nice though.

Nope.

Kevin Rooney said:
Moving can be a blessing in this regard. At least you get to make it all neat for a point in time.
Not for me. I moved 3 years ago and I still can't find some of my stuff. :(

Doug

Taking it a step further...www.adkgearstorage.com or some such...pay by the week...by the month...by the year...franchises throughout the Adirondacks...

I have some room! Anyone who'd like me to help store your gear, just send it to me and I'll take really good care of it.

I'll post the appropriate sizes I'd be happy to store elsewhere (boots, size 12; jackets, XL; etc):D:D

In the old house we had an extra bedroom that was the gear room. Racks and shelves all over the place. It held everything except the sleeping bags and jackets, which had to be elsewhere since there was no closet in the room.

We don't have that extra room any more, so I set up big racks in the basement, with more to come. I'll have the bikes hung, and the tent poles as well (straight open) soon. The sleeping bags are again upstairs in a closet, but everything else is all stowed neatly (for now).

Thus inspired, and with several months of rain plus recouperating from some injuries I now have some "Gear Closets."

The lefthand closet has room for hanging coats and large backpacks, and a shoe caddy. The middle closet has room for hiking poles, saws and the like as well as tents, daypacks, and misc.. The righthand closet has room to loosely stuff sleeping bags.

I also have room for a "Trip Planning Office" This features a homemade desk with lots of space to my left to lay out a map. Some homemade lighting fixtures shed light on the maps which include vacuum formed maps of the Whites and the Dacks.

Homemade bookshelves and plenty of bulletin board space for wall maps with map pins to layout my lists. There is one for NEHH, ADK 46, and Trailwrights.

I also have room for a "Trip Planning Office" This features a homemade desk with lots of space to my left to lay out a map. Some homemade lighting fixtures shed light on the maps which include vacuum formed maps of the Whites and the Dacks.
Need an intern? Don't take that the wrong way. For the right gear, space and gas money.. I put out.

Oh, and I'd like to add that your photos and Lawn Sales in the OP may be some of the sexiest I've seen on the internet.

Thus inspired, and with several months of rain plus recouperating from some injuries I now have some "Gear Closets."

The lefthand closet has room for hanging coats and large backpacks, and a shoe caddy. The middle closet has room for hiking poles, saws and the like as well as tents, daypacks, and misc.. The righthand closet has room to loosely stuff sleeping bags.

Homemade bookshelves and plenty of bulletin board space for wall maps with map pins to layout my lists. There is one for NEHH, ADK 46, and Trailwrights.

SWEET set up!

Dude...you're making the rest of us look bad by comparison! ;) VERY nice set-up.

Quick (unrelated) question: what's the significance of the yellow vs. red peak pins? My guess -- winter vs. non-winter summits.