How much water do you carry ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually start the hike with two 32 oz nalgene bottles to balance the weight. One on my right hip and the other in the upper left pocket of my day pack. If I anticipate needing more water, I will carry a filter or add one addition bottle to my pack. I also dilute my Gatorade 50% and carry extra in a ziplock.

marty said:
Cameling Up works very well for me.

Our new slogan, "Camel Up"!

I generally carry two Nalgenes and a thermos with a hot tea in winter (rarely drink much from the thermos, though).

In the summer, I'll use my 100oz Platypus filling it about two thirds for shorter hikes and all the way for long and/or wicked hot days. Additionally, I'll carry one Nalgene as my "emergency reserve". Also, I carry a Sweetwater Gaurdian filter.

I am a camel...

I usually store water in my hump.

I usually carry "just enough"- which is usually one litre. But- I am good at finding the odd water source

I can usually get 5 to 6 miles out of a litre of GatorAde or GookinAde on your average (non-winter) White Mtn hike. If I can fill up along the way, I'll carry less. I carry apples and/or oranges which increase my fluid intake. I usually pre-hydrate starting the previous day as well.

JohnL

Depends, but usually the most and least (I don't like to stop to refill all the time) I carry at any one point is 2L. More if I know I won't see water for a while.

Weather, speed of consumption, miles covered, and how much I'm carrying all play a part into how much I drink in a day.

Thanks for all the insight. I have been carrying 2 liters minimal plus gatorade. But a couple of hikes last year came close to running out (N. twin, S. twin, Galehead, garfield and back) due to not understanding what i would need. Another question as im rather new to this. The water available at the huts, shelters or camp sites will that need to be filtered or is it potable ?

trailbiscuit said:
Water at the huts is potable...out of the hut faucet, that is.

I'm not sure that's always true. Or at least it hasn't always been true in the past. A few times I've stopped by Zealand in the winter. Once there was a sign indicating that the boiled potable water was in an urn. Another time the potable water was for customers only (didn't ask for the story behind that).

But in the summer every hut seems to have potable water.

Super hydration technique

I learned this from Runner's World many years ago. Drink 20 oz of water 20 minutes before beginning vigorous aerobic activity. Can't describe the specifics, but the general idea that this creates a steep diffusion gradient in the large intestine such that the liquid is rapidly absorbed rather than passed on into the bladder. I have done this with hiking, bc skiing, and biking activity very effectively without significant increase in urine output. Also no cramps or other negative effects from the procedure. After doing so, I can delay further hydration from 1 - 3 hours, depending on the variables already discussed.

depends on the weather

these days, I don't carry any water....Simply lie down on back, open mouth, and hydrate.....on the days that is doesn't rain, usually a liter and my Katadyn Exstream XR Purifier if I know I am going to be close to a water supply. It really varies depending on weather, where I am..... I just wrote the second part because the "how much water" thread struck me funny as
I look out my window!! :rolleyes:

I spoke with my cardiologist, who is an avid cyclist. I mentioned that after a hike, my urinary output is increased. She said that most people drink too much water and that the body regulates its water capacity. She suggested that I carry a liter and drink when I feel the need to.

I followed her advice and take a litre and a small filter, just for back up.

Moose

moose_mckenzie said:
I spoke with my cardiologist, who is an avid cyclist. I mentioned that after a hike, my urinary output is increased. She said that most people drink too much water and that the body regulates its water capacity. She suggested that I carry a liter and drink when I feel the need to.

I followed her advice and take a litre and a small filter, just for back up.

Moose
With all do respect to your cardiologist, I'd get a second opinion. I have some cardiac issues, and my cardiologist is a high-altitude mountain climber. You need plenty of fluids to maintain blood volume and prevent the platelets from getting 'sticky' (layman's terms), and adequate blood volume is essential for preventing hypothermia. In my experience, nothing turns a hiker/climber back quicker than not drinking enough water - it's much more important than food.

Also - in high aerobic activities, it's important to drink BEFORE you feel the need in order to anticipate your bodies requirements. It takes a bit of practice, and one that I find I have to constantly adjust, but when I'm doing it right I drink small amounts regularly, and excrete only occasionally. I don't entirely agree that urine should be clear - if it's clear, I think you're over-hydrated. I'm satisfied with a slight yellow tinge - darker means drink more, and soon. Don't mean to be too in-elegant here, but this, IMHO, is one of the more important areas in hiking/climbing.

Last edited:
Moose,

How many miles do you usually go with just one liter? I've also taken a liter only but the last time I did that was on Middle Sugarloaf or flatter trails up to 5 miles RT. (two peaks in the Holyoke Range or Wachusetts or Mt. Tom, MA)

trailbiscuit said:
Water at the huts is potable...out of the hut faucet, that is.

jrichard said:
I'm not sure that's always true. Or at least it hasn't always been true in the past. A few times I've stopped by Zealand in the winter. Once there was a sign indicating that the boiled potable water was in an urn. Another time the potable water was for customers only (didn't ask for the story behind that).

But in the summer every hut seems to have potable water.

I believe that the winter water source at some of the Huts tends to be untreated, while in summer, they run faucets supplied from wells dug deep enough to be potable. Don't take my word on this, but that is my guess.

I have always been told I am welcome to the potable water at the Huts, seems odd that they would tell you it is for paying customers only??

sli74

Yesterday I hiked about seven miles and drank about a third of a liter. It was a cool day (50 o) and I hiked two miles uphill, two miles down hill (Catskills) and the rest was easy rolling.

I don't hike in extremes (> 90 o / < +10 o), I'm not fast hiker and I'm lean.

Moose

moose_mckenzie said:
Yesterday I hiked about seven miles and drank about a third of a liter. Moose

WOW !!! I am frequently told by most of my hiking partners that I DON'T drink enough but 7 miles on a third of a liter is VERY VERY little water even by my standards. Are you sure you aren't a camel :D :D

sli74

sli74 said:
7 miles on a third of a liter is VERY VERY little water
Don't forget that it is easy to go a distance (particularly on a cool day) and simply build up a water debt (ie become dehydrated). Not smart, but easy to do.

Back when I started winter hiking, the standard protocol in our hiking club was to bring one liter of water for a dayhike. Many attempted to drink the resteraunt dry on the way home...

Doug

Kevin Rooney said:
With all do respect to your cardiologist, I'd get a second opinion. I have some cardiac issues, and my cardiologist is a high-altitude mountain climber. You need plenty of fluids to maintain blood volume and prevent the platelets from getting 'sticky' (layman's terms), and adequate blood volume is essential for preventing hypothermia. In my experience, nothing turns a hiker/climber back quicker than not drinking enough water - it's much more important than food.

My urologist would agree. He was adament that I increase my fluid intake due to the hiking and cycling I do, if I wanted to avoid having another kidney stone. Experiencing one of those on a trail would not be fun. I carry two 32 oz. nalgene bottles filled with water, and sometimes add another 16-20 oz. in a bicycle water bottle depending on the day's temps and distance. I try to hydrate well the day before, and the morning of, and rehydrate after the hike as well. Needless to say I also have to make a pit stop (or two) before arriving at the trailhead. :rolleyes: