If you had only one mountain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i could only hike one, it would be Katahdin. You can hike it from both sides of the mountain, and they are two completely different hikes. You can also find religion or have a panic attack on the knife edge, which is a bit scary if you're afraid of heights. I did the knife edge when i was 5 and again 2 years ago, and it was more scary the 2nd time around. i guess ignorance is bliss.

Although abused, Washington has the most to offer.
Closer to home, and also easier to reach as the decades go by, Cardigan or Kearsarge.

Seems a depressing question. It reminds me of the question "If you only had one hour to spend in Yosemite, what would you do?" Answer: Cry

I would probably start looking for loop holes. The Catskills aren't really mountains, but an eroded plateau -- so I could climb them all without violating this edict. The Shawangunks are a long ridge without any real summits so I could hike endlessly. Or maybe if I carefully chose a P2K mountain I could climb all of its "subpeaks" also.

OK OK to be serious. Since the gist of the thread is probably what mountain could provide the most enjoyment without boring you into disinterest? Colden in the Adirondacks because of the trap dike and the many interesting slide routes.

Just don't ask me to choose only one waterfall. ;)

Mark Schaefer said:
I would probably start looking for loop holes. The Catskills aren't really mountains, but an eroded plateau -- so I could climb them all without violating this edict.

I love it ! Are you a lawyer :D ? Actually we can say all the north east mountains are "hills" and hike them all...

Sherpa John said:
The list is to long and unfair.

Lafayette
Isolation
Owls Head
South Twin...
Yep it is to long and unfair.
Does only apply ot the North Easat.
Ok Lafayette
Mt Bond
Mt Adams
Mt Garfield
In Colorado
South Maroon
Pyramid Peak
Sunlight peak
Snowmass Mountian
and La Plata Peak
In WY
Grand Teton
Gannett Peak
Freemont Peak
IN MN
Truchas Peaks
Santa Fe Baldy
Wheeler Peak
Latir Peak
In other worlds I could not choose just one.

But If I really had to Choose Just one It would be South Maroon. the views are just as breathtaking as the thin air .
How about if we hike them in a loop hike ?

Last edited:
Mount Ascutney. first hiked it in 1967 or 68, most recently 2004. Lost track of how many times in between. Used to celebrate my birthday on it in high school, broke my leg skiing it. It's one of those love-hate things.

Gothics. Definitely.

Yeah, I don't know if it was just the day I was up there that etched the experience in my mind, but I just have this mental image of one of the best hiking days ever on Gothics. The views are amazing, backside of Saddleback and Basin, John's Brook Valley, up and down the great range, Giant; and the mountain itself is beautiful, the trail up-down the cables, the huge splits in the granite that we explored, the sheer east face...just a wonderful mountain.

Last edited:
jbrown said:
Gothics. Definitely.

I was going to post Gothics as well, especially if I can include its shoulder, Pyramid. Different routes up allow you sto see much of the mountain you're climbing on the way up, as well as from the summit.

One in each State?

Can we vote for one in each state?If so I already voted for Carrigan in NH, but I would have No problem giving Katahdin the nod for Maine and the Gothics for NY. Vermont I'm not sure about yet.

Washington for sure

The mountain has class 3+ routes right up to technical climbing. The ravines esp huntington and Great Gulf make for spectacular approach with an alpine feel. IMO the only thing that even catches the attention of climbers in the west. Its close to great places like North Conway and not too far from the coast. I have yet to bore of this mountain and doubt I ever will. With all of the crazy weather each climb is different.

Its difficult to narrow it down to one a state much less one a season. Id have to choose Washington too. Not for the views of Marcy to the ocean, not because of the varied terrain, not because of the myriad of routes one could take, but because you cant get a chillidog on top of Carrigain.

Crowded though it is, I'd have to pick Katahdin. I grew up next to it, and it got me started on all the others, and to not be able to ever climb it again would sadden me. Going back to the roots, I guess. It is my home.

Can we eliminate the crowds? If so, Bigelow. (Besides, you get a twofer!)

If not, then Katahdin. Come to think of it, if we could eliminate all the crowds except for the people who've mentioned it here, it would be a pretty good party! :cool:

arghman said:
I have a favorite but I'm not telling, it's in NH and is between 3500' and 3800' and nobody's mentioned it yet.
Duh, Chocorua? Believe it or not, I've never climbed it.

No way I could pick one mountain, but if I had to, I'd be happy with whatever I would get, as long as there was a view (but Adams, West Bond, Jefferson, Moosilauke, Katahdin, Doubletop in BSP, The Horns, Goose Eye, Colden, Skylight all rate high on my list)