insulation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john_hilgeman

Reaction score
this is a funny question but i'm wonering if anyone has any ideas about insulating the private parts - they seem succeptible to the extreme cold i have encountered on some of these mountains. :eek:

I picked up a tip from Rec.skiing.Backcountry a few years back about putting a plastic sandwich bag or square of saran wrap in the front of your underwear on bitter cold days when XC skiing. I have done it several times and found that it works, though it slips out of place at times. I had thought about duct taping it to the insides of my pants as well, but never went further with the idea.

John,

Not a funny question at all.

Penile frostbite has been known to happen in extreme cold and wind. Preventable by adequate insulation and wind protection. Wind blocking briefs are available. (For instance, the REI website lists a "windbrief" and a "windboxer".) If need be, it is easy to improvise extra insulation or wind protection.

Rick,

A layer of plastic will block the wind, but it may also cause moisture to collect in any insulation between it and your skin. A layer of wind-resistant cloth (of a type that might be used to make a wind shell, eg nylon taffeta) might be better.

Doug

Last edited:
A lesson from the Red Hot Chili Peppers

They have been known to perform with only tube socks covering themselves. I would submit a nice soft wool sock for this application. It insulates when wet (sweaty) and its easy to keep it in place.

OMG I can;t believe I'm posting this! :eek:

PS. LMAO at Mark! Have her call my wife, then they'll at least know its not just us.

Last edited:
Would that be called ...

Panama Jack said:
They have been known to perform with only tube socks covering themselves. I would submit a nice soft wool sock for this application. It insulates when wet (sweaty) and its easy to keep it in place.

OMG I can;t believe I'm posting this! :eek:

PS. LMAO at Mark! Have her call my wife, then they'll at least know its not just us.
What would you call that ... a "C*ck Sock" ???

Please! the little one in the backpack can read!

CaptainJim said:
What would you call that ...

Before, I was more or less on your side.

Now, while I can't condone the actions of the guy who stole your tank, perhaps I can understand his motivation. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Can't take the credit here...

Rick said:
Oh my God!!!!- I am ROTFLMAO at your Avatar Bob
...dave.m pasted it together, and S.K. is just so durn cute.

Rick said:
BTW,How does SherpaK pack up that small??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
He doesn't -- I'm a little over nine feet tall.

Last edited:
I have some lightweight polyester briefs I use for hiking/climbing and running. Put them under a midweight - (I like ems bergelene), and then either shells or if really cold - a second layer of a mid weight - or exp weight long underwear.

Never had any problems. The only problem I did have was one day jogging in the single digits - when I forgot to wear them. That was the last time I forgot to wear them - trust me.

So I know they work.

the sock idea is pretty funny - and it might work.

Had a similar almost-problem last winter, skiing to Angel Falls at about -20 in fleece pants. Solved it by turning the pants around, so that the nylon seat section was in front.

Necessity and invention, and all that.

john_hilgeman said:
this is a funny question but i'm wonering if anyone has any ideas about insulating the private parts - they seem succeptible to the extreme cold i have encountered on some of these mountains. :eek:

What an odd first post. My guess we never hear from this person again.

Sorry but I cannot resist.

I've been out hiking, X-country skiing and camping on some very cold days and Willy has never complained about being cold. He'll rebel :( when he has to come out for a hydration check or when I stick my cold hands on my bare lower abdomen :eek: to warm them up but he has never asked for any extra covering. Even in the days before modern fabrics, I would hike in cotton u-trau and jeans in the winter and Willy was always comfortable. Are you guys walking around the winter woods with your fly down? :eek: :confused:

Hmmm, wind blocking briefs!?! :confused: Aaah, but that's another question for another time.

JohnL

I know it may be a bit over the top, but for those really cold days I like to throw about a dozen of those chemical hand warmers down there. ;) :D

Talk about speed hiking!! :D ;)

Peace.

JohnL said:
I've been out hiking, X-country skiing and camping on some very cold days and Willy has never complained about being cold.

This is mostly a problem with fast-forward sports. I have this problem with cold weather cycling and downhill oriented backcountry skiing. The skiing problem has only sufaced now that I do almost all of my skiing in stretchy so-called soft shelled pants. This was never ever a problem with sweatier GoreTex pants.

I've not figured out a really good solution for cycling. Really need a hard shell of some sort, I guess.

For xc skiing, I guess it depends on how fast you go. A bud of mine who raced xc in VT growing up said this problem left guys crying on the bus ride home after a race with regularity.

The problem I have with windpanel briefs is that they put the wind panel *UNDER* the insulation, so what's the point. Hardshells are more windproof but lack stetch.

dave.m said:
The problem I have with windpanel briefs is that they put the wind panel *UNDER* the insulation, so what's the point. Hardshells are more windproof but lack stetch.

One could wear wind proof shorts (cut-off windpants?) over one's regular clothing.

Doug

DougPaul said:
One could wear wind proof shorts (cut-off windpants?) over one's regular clothing.

Doug
That's what I do when I go running in the winter, put the shorts on over my tights. If its really cold I wear my Gore-tex pants. If really, really cold I wear fleece long underwear under the gore-tex.
I don't hike fast enough to have this problem while hiking. :)