is a WMNF parking pass needed on the Kancamangus?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Yankees Guy

Reaction score
Doing the Hancocks in the morning, wondering if I need a parking pass for the Kancamangus Highway? I know I should have gotten a season pass, but my hiking year is coming to a close with just a few hikes left for the season.

The Pass is good for 12 months from the month you buy it, so you should pick one up ($20 for 1, $25 for 2) at Lincoln Woods since you will be so close anyway. I believe that lot does have a fee.

Last edited:
Thanks TJsName, I didn't realize it was good for 12 months from the month it is purchased, I was cheaping out and thinking it was for just the calendar year. guess I should get one then.

Oh good, this may be the place to ask a question that has had me wondering all summer.
Does anyone here know, with some certainty, what the Forest Service policy and actual practice is concerning parking passes? I'm aware of a number of non-paying vehicles using different lots in the WMNF this summer. None of them has received any ticket, warning, or other request to pay. So I'm wondering, were these uncommon situations or has the FS cut back on enforcement of the parking pass requirment?
Not looking to turn this into a debate of the issue ---- just would like an answer to the question.
Thanks.

The Pass is good for 12 months from the month you buy it, so you should pick one up ($20 for 1, $25 for 2) at Lincoln Woods since you will be so close anyway. I believw that lot does have a fee.

Passes are also sold at the tourist information building right across from the I-93 exits in Lincoln.

I know I should have gotten a season pass, but my hiking year is coming to a close with just a few hikes left for the season.
I should probably get one b/c my hiking season(s) are about to start. Bring on the all-natural air conditioning, say good-bye to bugs and tourists, hello knee-friendly shock-absorbing snow, peace-out to backpack-raiding rodents and bears, and yee-haw to various forms of snow-covered trail descents.

To add to the thread for others. The parking pass is required at many but not all of the trailheads on WMNF property that access popular summits. Many major trailheads (but not all) on the Kanc require a parking pass due to a rather bogus interpretation of the rules where all trailheads without services are treated as one federal facility and therefore each individual trailhead does not need the required federal facilities. I have not seen a recent list of the trailheads that do and don't require a pass. The FS has obviously set it up so that they can maximize revenue while minimizing travel to more remote trailheads, like North Twin, Signal Ridge and Garfield but its definitely hit or miss.

Rather than hassle with it, I just forgo a couple of post hike beers and buy one.

As a reminder - for those 62 and older - a Senior Pass is available. It's a one-time $10 cost, and is good for all Federal lands - Forest Service, Park Service, BLM, etc. Also reduces the cost of camping by 50%. I have one taped to my windshield, and also carry one in my wallet so that when I'm traveling in a rental I always have it.

Rather than hassle with it, I just forgo a couple of post hike beers and buy one.

Ditto - given that it's < 1% of what I spend on hiking each year (between gear, gas, food, tolls, etc.), it's not worth fighting the man over it. In my mind, I hope it actually helps the forest service.

In the past I have seem some cars with warnings on them, but I have never seen a fee collector, although my buddy did a few weeks ago at the Champney Falls trail head... which worked out well, because they were able to radio the police about the break-in that took place. :(

Last edited:
Oh good, this may be the place to ask a question that has had me wondering all summer.
Does anyone here know, with some certainty, what the Forest Service policy and actual practice is concerning parking passes? I'm aware of a number of non-paying vehicles using different lots in the WMNF this summer. None of them has received any ticket, warning, or other request to pay. So I'm wondering, were these uncommon situations or has the FS cut back on enforcement of the parking pass requirment?
Not looking to turn this into a debate of the issue ---- just would like an answer to the question.
Thanks.

It probably depends on whether a ranger managed to get by that lot between the time the car parked & left.

Note that may formerly "pay" lots are now free (North Twin/Haystack Rd is one, there are others). The signage should be pretty clear (and if payment isn't required, there won't be anywhere to put it....)

I did see some cars "tagged" in the Ammonoosuc Ravine TH lot after my Mt Washington hike earlier this month, so they definitely check some of the lots some of the time. I'd imagine Lincoln Woods would be guaranteed.

If you can't manage to get to the tourist info building or a ranger station during business hours to pick up the 12-month pass, you can also get them at REI on your next gear run.

As a reminder - for those 62 and older - a Senior Pass is available. It's a one-time $10 cost, and is good for all Federal lands - Forest Service, Park Service, BLM, etc. Also reduces the cost of camping by 50%. I have one taped to my windshield, and also carry one in my wallet so that when I'm traveling in a rental I always have it.
I have found this pass useful in more places than I had anticipated and it is free for people with permanent disabilities. There is also an annual pass at $80 for those under 62 which, if you use the pertinent lands frequently or with others, could be very economical as the pass covers up to 4 people in a car where individual admission fees are charged. Canada has a similar system that is much more expensive and even that I have found was cost effective after only about a week in fee locations.

Here's a link for more information: http://www.nps.gov/findapark/passes.htm

Fight the man. Know the law. Here's the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act.

Furthermore, there is the follow relevant Federal precedent:
"CONCLUSION
[9]
For the foregoing reasons, we conclude that the REA
unambiguously prohibits the Forest Service from charging
fees in the Mount Lemmon HIRA for recreational visitors
who park a car, then camp at undeveloped sites, picnic along
roads or trailsides, or hike through the area without using the
facilities and services. We therefore reverse the district
court’s grant of defendants’ motion to dismiss Count I and
remand to the district court for further proceedings consistent
with this opinion."

Source.

Here's more: http://westernslopenofee.org/index2.php?display=yes&pageid=28

If you do nothing but park & hike, according to this Federal Appeals Court decision, you are not subject to the the REA fee. When you pay the fee you are actively supporting the REA.

Last edited:
Doing the Hancocks in the morning, wondering if I need a parking pass for the Kancamangus Highway?
Hancocks lot has a fee station although it lacks the required amenities due to the peculiar law interpretation noted by P. If you want to save $3 and get some extra exercise, you can park at a pulloff .3 down the road for free.

Does anyone here know, with some certainty, what the Forest Service policy and actual practice is concerning parking passes? I'm aware of a number of non-paying vehicles using different lots in the WMNF this summer. None of them has received any ticket, warning, or other request to pay.
As with speeding tickets, parking meters, etc., probably a majority of violators avoid getting fined.

Generally the FS will only ticket vehicles parked at a site with a fee station although there may be exceptions on dead-end roads with a fee station at the end such as Zealand Road, because courts were requiring adequate notice to enforce fines

And of course the FS can't collect fees at locations not on Federal land such as Lafayette Place and Appalachia

Definitely just get the pass. Best $20 I ever spent. No longer have to even think about where I am parking and if I have the coins/cash to pay the iron tube (I bet the FS loved that envelope with $3 in mostly nickels and a couple quarters I found hanging around in the car that they got from me a few years ago :) All because I didn't bother checking if I had change since I knew the lot I was parking at was missing most of the "required" amenities - Hancock in fact.)

I have never bought a pass and park at will anywhere I want. I have never thought the pass was a good fit for the Whites. I have never been fined and haven't even got a warning for years. I think National parks should charge and I never mine paying when in a NP. Personally, I don't by the "you get amenities line", things where just fine before the pass. If you want amenities go to a campground, a simple Portapotti is all trailheads need. The major change I've seen since the pass has come, is more Ranger's, everywhere you look, dam drive the Kanc and count the white trucks its a joke. I rather a shoestring budget and being left alone, heck, try taking a nap in your truck, I'm constantly bothered by Rangers, " you cant sleep here" god that frost my @#$.

If you do nothing but park & hike, according to this Federal Appeals Court decision, you are not subject to the the REA fee.

As the 9th Circuit sees it. But NH is not in that circuit so this case is not binding here.

...wondering if I need a parking pass for the Kancamangus Highway...

Be careful, they might charge you extra if you pronounce it incorrectly.

I just buy the stupid annual pass. I have to drive so far to get there, I can't be wasting time fighting court cases over a law/act I don't give a sh#t about. I hate stupid rules/laws as much as anyone, but this ain't the hill I'm gonna die on.

Be careful, they might charge you extra if you pronounce it incorrectly.

I just buy the stupid annual pass. I have to drive so far to get there, I can't be wasting time fighting court cases over a law/act I don't give a sh#t about. I hate stupid rules/laws as much as anyone, but this ain't the hill I'm gonna die on.

I'm not knocking your choice at all, but when people submit and just say " The heck with it it I'll pay", then the Gov't wins when it shouldn't. Take another look at your paycheck and the deductions section. While I don't mind giving money to the Govt to serve the country, its the amount that gets to me. just my 2 cents.

I'm not knocking your choice at all, but when people submit and just say " The heck with it it I'll pay", then the Gov't wins when it shouldn't. Take another look at your paycheck and the deductions section. While I don't mind giving money to the Govt to serve the country, its the amount that gets to me. just my 2 cents.

I'm very well aware of all the deductions from my paycheck...I don't need to take another look. Regarding paying The Man for a WMNF parking pass, I see your point, but it's not a fight I'm interested in taking on. I just don't care about it that much. It's $1.67 per month...I can swing that.