Jefferson Notch Road and Caps Ridge Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueZ

Reaction score
I know this site is very helpful for the last minute updated info.

Is Jefferson Notch Road still drivable for a regular car after the snow storm? I worried because when I hiked chocorua last saturday, I oberserved lots of snow in the moutains. I heard North Presidential received even more.

Caps Ridge Trail Condition? After read some TR around that region, I have a feeling snowshoes is a must.

Wwant to back there in a warmer day, relax on the summit, do some thinking... :)

Thanks for the feedback. :p

Last edited:
On Sunday 10/30/05, Mt Clinton road was icy but appeared passable (depending on driver ego) at the Crawford Notch end, but was snowcovered on the Base Road end. North of the Base Road, J-Notch Road was 12" snowpack with many blowdowns. Looked like a pair of snowmobiles had been on it.

I wouldn't count on Caps Ridge for the remainder of the calendar year -- at least without a sled.

el-bagr said:
On Sunday 10/30/05, Mt Clinton road was icy but appeared passable (depending on driver ego) at the Crawford Notch end, but was snowcovered on the Base Road end. North of the Base Road, J-Notch Road was 12" snowpack with many blowdowns. Looked like a pair of snowmobiles had been on it.

I wouldn't count on Caps Ridge for the remainder of the calendar year -- at least without a sled.

That is the info I need. sad to know this. I have to give up the attempt.

Thanks el-bagr. :D

Jim lombard said:
I also heard from personal observation that it was pretty much impassable for a passenger car, maybe a 4WD truck.

Thanks, Jim.
Let's hike together some day! :)

Sorry, another question, which route is the easiest/safest for mt. Jefferson in winter? I remembered last time I took Lows Path, Randolph path, gulfside to the summit and castle trail back. It was a very long day. I prefer to go with a group next time.

easiest route to jefferson in winter

the idea of jewell trail to the gulfside is obviously good, if the blowdowns arent hideous like they were saturday. starting at 2700 feet has its advantages, even if you drop 600 feet off of clay. another nice route is israel ridge trail to randolph path to gulfside. it avoids the exposure and ledges on castle trail and is closer than starting on lowe's path. its also incredibly gorgeous. its a nice way to do adams and jefferson in the same day.

Ive done the Castle ridge a few times in the winter and imo its a White mountain classic.

hikerfast said:
the idea of jewell trail to the gulfside is obviously good, if the blowdowns arent hideous like they were saturday. starting at 2700 feet has its advantages, even if you drop 600 feet off of clay. another nice route is israel ridge trail to randolph path to gulfside. it avoids the exposure and ledges on castle trail and is closer than starting on lowe's path. its also incredibly gorgeous. its a nice way to do adams and jefferson in the same day.
600'. You don't have to climb all the way to the top of clay. :D

hikerfast said:
another nice route is israel ridge trail to randolph path to gulfside. it avoids the exposure and ledges on castle trail and is closer than starting on lowe's path. its also incredibly gorgeous. its a nice way to do adams and jefferson in the same day.
I've done Israel Ridge 1.5 times in winter but after seeing it in summer I'd never do it again, there are too many dropoffs.

I've also done Caps Ridge, Castle Ridge, and Lowes/Randolph and I consider the latter the easiest for timid drivers. Actually Caps Ridge may be overall easiest due to easy walking up the snowmobile route, but I found Base Rd in winter a little scary and didn't see any good parking at the Notch Rd jct.

Isreal Ridge would be my choice; it's absolutely beautiful hiking. When you hike the northern slopes of the Northern Presidentials you always have many options for trails.

Caps Ridge is great if you don't mind sharing Mt Jefferson Rd with the machines. I like to haul a snowboard and stash it at the trailhead for a wonderful ride down. :)

Happy Trails!

Israel Ridge is definitely gorgeous. I've never been up it in the snow, but we were there in late August and it was an absolutely magical way to summit Jefferson then. I can imagine it would be pretty amazing in winter as well, as the forested groves would be peaceful and beautiful with the backdrop of white. And you could easily get up Adams, in addition, via this route if you chose to do so.

Jim lombard said:
You bet, are you working on the 48 in NH? I'm hoping to get out a few times in November and December.

Jim, I finished my 48er at Carrigain this August. Then, I went to Mt. Renier, hiked to the camp muir as a day hike. What a treat for myself for finishing the 48!
;) Reinier is a beautiful mountain. I read giggy's post. I should go back there, attempt to the summit next year.

I have a feeling, after I finished the 48, I changed. before that point, I hiked for the list. After that, I hike for the enjoyment of the mountains and wilderness. I dont' have to summit in each hike. scenery, solitude, feeling, thinking are more important part of my hike now. Good thing.

Thanks again for the info.

Never hiked Israel Ridge Trail. After reading RoySwkr, forestnome ,gaiagirl and other's posts, I want to do it some day.

I'll keep an eye on VFTT. Although most of time, I'm a solo hiker, I prefer to do winter Jefferson with a group. :D

VFTT is a great site. A NF ranger told me this site when I asked him trail conditions as I just started my winter hiking last year. After that, it became a habit to check this site before any of my "big" hikes (although much smaller compared to thoes of many folk's here. ;) ).

thanks everyone for the very helpful info. Without these info, I'll drive to Jefferson Nothch trail this weekend, and I'm sure my car will stuck there. :eek:

Last edited:
blueZ said:
Jim, I finished my 48er at Carrigain this August. Then, I went to Mt. Renier, hiked to the camp muir as a day hike. What a treat for myself for finishing the 48!
;) Reinier is a beautiful mountain. I read giggy's post. I should go back there, attempt to the summit next year.

I have a feeling, after I finished the 48, I changed. before that point, I hiked for the list. After that, I hike for the enjoyment of the mountains and wilderness. I dont' have to summit in each hike. scenery, solitude, feeling, thinking are more important part of my hike now. Good thing.

Congratulations on finishing BlueZ! I'm not hung up on lists either I guess or I wouldn't be at #47 for 3 years :eek: The winter list now....that's another thing.
See you out there.