Kancamaugus

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Satterlee

Team Member
Reaction score
If anyone as crossed the Kancamaugus lately, can you please tell me if there is any construction on it this year?

I am hoping to ride it from Rte 16 to Rte 3 and was wondering if there were any unpaved sections; I will be on the road bike.

Thank-you,

John

There has been a couple of construction spots this summer, one of them around the Pass, the other one is east of there. There are no gravel areas, however. The route can be ridden entirely on pavement.

Every day there are many bikes on the road. Enjoy the ride. The Kanc is much more bike friendly than when I rode it in the 90s.

bob

Last time I was on the Kanc was this past June. There was some road construction in the area of the Lower Falls.

I drove it from Conway to Lincoln Wednesday evening (coming home from Isolation / Moat Mountain Brewery) and there was not the slightest sign of construction. Most of it is new pavement. I fondly recalled the last time I was on that road for that long was on my bike.

HTH,
Tim

At the moment, no unpaved sections. Lots of new pavement and guard rails and high-speeding morons who are oblivious to moose and think this is their chance to play race car driver. Good luck!

Happy Trails :)

Copied from the WMNF web site
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/index.php

NH DOT Announces Summer Road Construction on the Kancamagus Scenic Byway (New Hampshire 112)
Long term road construction beginning 1 mile east of the Rocky Gorge parking area, in Albany, and continuing east 1.2 miles to the west end of Lower Falls.

I don't know if this will help. The road work is being done by the State not the Feds. They might be a little slow, but there work will stand the test of time.

Drive safe... Hike Safe...Walker

Last edited:
Again, no unpaved sections or construction delays at this time. The work near Rocky Gorge has long been completed. They are doing sections at a time, and they appear to be gearing up in the vicinity of Pine Bend Brook, but there is no construction at this time. And it does have very high speed traffic, despite being heavily populated with wildlife. Pray for the moose until Labor Day.

New guardrails are being installed at the eastern end, east of the "Entering WMNF" sign, but still no unpaved sections right now.