Katahdin Panoramas

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I'vre been playing with the software that came with my Canon Power Shot A85 and "stitched" together a few panoramas. None of these were constructed from photos from my new Canon (I didn't have it at the time). The North Basin panorama was from a set of shots I took with my older Nikon Coolpix 775, the South Basin set and the shots across Basin Pond were taken by Funky Freddy. Not sure what his camera was. My newer Canon has a mode for this which I guess adds some meta data to help in the stitching process.

The results are good, but not perfect. You can see some places where the images were not merged pricecely right.

I would welcome any comments on how this process could be improved either while shooting or back home on the computer.

Katahdin: North Basin from Blueberry Ridge
Katahdin: South Basin from Chimney Pond
Katahdin: Hamlin Ridge and the North Basin from Basin Pond

Pb

Last edited:
Papa Bear said:
I'vre been playing with the software that came with my Canon Power Shot A85 and "stitched" together a couple of panoramas. Neither of these were constructed from my new Canon (I didn't have it at the time). The North Basin was from a set of shots I took with my older Nikon Coolpix 775, the South Basin set was taken by Funky Freddy. Not sure what his camera was. My newer Canon has a mode for this which I guess adds some meta data to help in the stitching process.

The results are good, but not perfect. You can see some places where the images were not merged pricesely right.

I would welcome any comments on how this process could be improved either while shooting or back home on the computer.

Katahdin: North Basin from Blueberry Ridge
Katahdin: South Basin from Chimney Pond

Pb

I've tried this a few times with moderate success.

I'd recommend using a tripod/monopod. Yes, more weight to carry, but if you want good results, it will help. The point here is not to vary the angle of the shot other than the panning motion.

Only move about 10-15 degrees from shot to shot. Basically, you only want the middle 2/3 of each shot. After that, you start getting weird perspective effects.

Don't change any setting between pictures. Some cameras have a 'stitch' mode that helps with this. In any case, choose where to start based on what you think the average brightness of the whole shot is.

Avoid objects at vastly different distances.

Hope this helps...

Use the pano mode that comes with the camera. It locks the settings, as well as contributes some meta-data to help the stitch.

Be conservative when panning, make sure there is plenty of overlap.

If using the zoom, go with a 50mm lens equiv. That will impart the least amount of distortion to the image.

I don't use a tripod or monopod, just careful panning and making sure of my footing before starting to turn.

-dave-

One recommendation, don't use Canon's software. If it's the same panoramic software that came with my G3, it doesn't have a good stitching algorithm and it doesn't do a good job. I use a shareware software that I found pretty good and it's not like I tried to compare the various software out there. it's called Panorama Factory and I have an older version 2.4 that I've used to do a lot of panoramas in the ADKs and in the Catskills. (as well as silly ones like my room!).

It's loads better than the Canon although it is slower, it does a lot better job in stitching. I don't even use the stitch-assist mode in the canon which will lock the aperature and shutter speed I think. I just shoot away and use the software and it comes out well.

BlackDome in the catskills

Polychrome Mtn in Denali QTVR

Equinox in VT

Gothics in the ADKs

Little Ashoken in the catskills

LookoutRock in VT

Marcy in the ADKs

Wittenberg in the catskills

Some of frames are slightly off which is more of a problem with the photographer (me!) than the software..

Oh, I'm a moron...forgot to include a link where to download it... You can try it for a bunch of days too for free:

http://www.panoramafactory.com/

Jay

Last edited:
Just to add to Dave's comment about using a 50mm lens equivalent, I would also say you can zoom your lens toward telephoto and get good results as well. Photos taken with a wide angle setting (anything less than 50mm equivalent) will appear less flat and thus will be more distorted at the edges of the photo. It appears that your Blueberry Ridge and Basin Pond panoramas are examples of this.

The reason that the Canon will lock the aperture and shutter in stitch assist mode is so that you have all your images taken with the same exposure base line. Otherwise you can have a situation where the software is matching up the same part of your landscape but taken with two different exposure settings. So if you don't use the stitch assist mode in the camera, you have to be very careful about ensuring that your exposures are matched. The Chimney Pond panorama looks as though it has multiple exposure settings as well as being shot with a wide angle setting.

I've used Canon's sfw on numerous panorama's and where it does not work correctly are instances where I have not followed some basis rules and guidelines. The version I am using is v3.1.

JohnL