Killi and the Hump, 2/1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCedar

Reaction score
I paired up climbs of Killington and Camel's Hump because one of them is not worth driving all the way over there for. As it was, I spent 5 hours hiking and 6.5 hours driving . . . now, hmmm, what was the day's activity? Though I must say, it was nice to eat lunch in a nice warm car while shuttling between the trailheads.

Roads to the trailheads and the parking areas were in surprisingly good condition, considering the recent thaw. Both trails had some new snow cover, about 2", on top of whatever was hiding underneath. The Bucklin trail to Killi was a little soft in places and wet, but there was very little ice till the final climb at the summit. Microspikes did the job all day. I looked so cool carrying the ice axe and crampons, as usual. Snowshoes stayed in the car.

I was the first person of the day for the Burrows trail to the Hump, starting at 1 p.m. The surface was firmer and easier to walk on than Killi, although there were more ice slicks hiding under the thin snow cover. Both summits were cold and windy so I didn't hang around. Flurries prevented any views anyway.