Kinsmans from Lafayette Place on 1/9/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Reaction score
Followed the Lonesome Lake, F'n Jimmy and Kinsman Ridge trails. Light snow (2-3 inches) covered the trails and it was snowing lightly for most of the day. No views at all. It was like hiking inside a cotton ball. Bare booted to the Hut and then put on crampons (G10's) which stayed on for the rest of the day. This was a solo hike, but I ran into about a dozen other folks on the trail past the hut. Some other hikers wore snow shoes or microspikes. I was glad to have crampons. There was a fair amout of ice on the F'n Jimmy trail and on the ridge and I felt that crampons were better for stability and also the occasional front pointing. Ran into a couple of nice ladies just below the summit of South Kinsmans that had come up the Mount Kinsman trail. They were nice enough to share some nice chuncks of cheese with me and we had a nice chat while we walked back along the Kinsman Ridge trail together. No blow downs or other obstacles on the trails.