Lake Willoughby area, 2007

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willoughby

Reaction score
Once again we spent some time around my namesake lake this summer - actually this is the 38th year running! And as usual we did some climbing around the Lake, visiting two old friends and - who'd'a thunk it - making a new acquaintance!

Burke Mt: For some reason we had never climbed Burke, so this year my brother and I went up it. We took the CCC road from the Toll Road, then up the West Peak trail. The CCC road cuts across the ski trails, with good views towards the Lake Willoughby gap. Then it's into the woods for the West Peak Trail, a classic Vermont path-through-the-woods with some steep bits and a few muddy and eroded patches. The trail comes out on a rocky outcrop with great views West of the Green mountains across the valleys. From there it's a short way to the West Peak itself, and another rocky viewpoint South to Franconia notch and the Whites.

As we dropped into the col, a ruffed grouse crossed the path ahead of us - fluffed its ruff once - then wandered into the underbrush along the trail. Magic!

The trail then took us over to the main summit, coming out near the parking lot at the head of the lift and ski trails. There's a summit path off the back of the parking lot, which takes a meandering approach finally coming out in the summit area with observation tower and, sadly, massive cell tower. (Two guys were putting up new Verizon antennas while we were there.) As usual I only made it partway up the observation tower, but we had views of 3 states (VT, NH, and Old Speck in Maine) and Quebec. In the Whites we identified Old Speck, Cabot, Waumbek, the Northern and Southern Pressies (including the rockpile of course), Crawford Notch, Field, Hale, Twins, Garfield, Lafayette, Cannon and the Cannonballs, Kinsmen, and over to Moosilauke - whew! In the Greens we picked out Jay, Mansfield, and Camels Hump, as well as Ascutney (approx 80mi away) and many other peaks. Scudder says you should be able to see Bond poking up between the Twins -- you would need to climb higher up the firetower than I was willing to go, I think.

We walked down the Toll Road to save my brother's knees. A few notes on routes: we reached the CCC Road from the Toll Road - which meant we had to pay the toll ($4), but also that we had to wait until the gate was opened, nominally at 8AM but actually closer to 8:15. This wasn't mentioned in the Day Hiker's Guide, and put a crimp in our 7:15 start time, alternates would be to find the other end of the CCC Road, or to use the Kingdom Trails Association trails to connect with the CCC Road from a better starting point. Also, the summit is 2 minutes walk if you follow the driveway to the bottom of the cell tower, following the summit path was a needless diversion.

Wheeler Mt: An old favorite, this year we climbed it with my son and nieces (ages 7, 9, and 10). Lots of great climbing along rock ledges and great views from the lunch spot: across Willoughby, into the Gap, and over to the Whites (Cabot and the Franconia area). We exercised due care and attention on the way down, and had lots of handholding for the 7-year-old (who is small), but everybody did great and loved it.

Mt. Pisgah: I returned to Pisgah with my son, at 3.4-3.8 miles roundtrip (up the South Trail and past the summit to the Overlooks) this is the longest hike he had done, and the second (with Wheeler) carrying his own pack with his own water. Hooray, no more Dad the pack mule! Someday he will be carrying me... As noted last year the overlooks below Pulpit Rock, and the summit area have become somewhat overgrown over the years, but still some great views and a fun mountain. This year we spotted a small cairn marking the summit, which I didn't find last year. And yet again I was unable to find the spur to the East Overlook promised by the Day Hikers Guide.

These may not be the most challenging mountains, but they're good climbs for training the next generation (as I was trained) and it's a gorgeous corner of creation. Pictures here.

Last edited:
I did some hiking for one day in that area and created this album. I agree the Lake Willoughby area is worthy of some extensive exploration. The Green Mountain Club has a cabin up there that might make a nice base for some good hiking. Burke Mountain is a delightful summit. Has anybody climbed to the tower on East Mountain? Is that worthwhile visiting? I saw it from both Burke & Pisgah.

Thats an interesting mountain. The top of it used to be a USAF radar base, then a company bought it to put up a wind farm, but ran into lots of resistance from the nearby residents. I don't think they've succeeded yet in getting buy in from the locals.My brother-in-law owns a hunting camp up there. I don't know if there are any trails to the top, but there is a road.

Jason Berard said:
Thats an interesting mountain. The top of it used to be a USAF radar base,

Hey, My father was stationed there! Howard Mosher has used it as a scene location in some of his novels as well.

This is a great area

Jason Berard said:
It sounds like a good time was had by all. I was trained on those same mountains. I've probably climbed Pisgah at least 15 times. Have you ever tried Bald Mtn?

Yes indeed, one of my nieces is quite gung-ho about hiking and since her parents aren't I get to infect her with "the bug".

I had a long gap in my Pisgah-climbing, when I came back to it a few years ago it seemed to me that the summit area had grown in considerably. Also the outlooks below Pulpit Rock are being allowed to grow in, I assume this is a conscious change in trail-maintenance philosophy since the rest of the trail is well-maintained.

Bald Mountain is another good one, I climbed it (and others) last year and posted a trip report

Questions: How hard to find/follow is the Lookout's trail up Bald? Is the East Trail up Pisgah worthwhile - from the description it doesn't seem to add much but another compass point. And is the East lookout on the Pisgah summit for real?

askus3 said:
I did some hiking for one day in that area and created this album. I agree the Lake Willoughby area is worthy of some extensive exploration. The Green Mountain Club has a cabin up there that might make a nice base for some good hiking. Burke Mountain is a delightful summit. Has anybody climbed to the tower on East Mountain? Is that worthwhile visiting? I saw it from both Burke & Pisgah.

Askus3,

I saw your trip report and flipped through the album before we went up. Then I sent a link to my brother and that's part of how we chose Burke. So, Thanks!

Willoughby

quote from Willoughby:
Questions: How hard to find/follow is the Lookout's trail up Bald? Is the East Trail up Pisgah worthwhile - from the description it doesn't seem to add much but another compass point. And is the East lookout on the Pisgah summit for real?

Is the east trail the one that comes from the north end of the lake? I haven't done that one in a long time, but as I recall its longer, but more gradual ( if thats the east trail).
I'm not sure where the lookout trail is either, but there is an old road from the boat access at Bald Mountain Pond that I always wondered whether or not went to, or near Bald Mountain......From the summit, as I recall there is also a "road" that heads off the north of the summit. Sounds like I should get back up there and do some exploring.
:cool:

The East trail up Pisgah runs from the Long Pond road. This year the trailhead was signed, I don't remember seeing a sign previously, but the trailhead is between the trail to Balanced Rock (opposite the old dump, now a self-storage facility) and the Long Pond fishing access.

The Lookout's trail up Bald Mountain is "no longer officially maintained" but apparently passable, according to the Day Hiker's Guide and the comments in the logbook last year. It starts somewhere off the road from Westmore to Island Pond (Hinton Hill Rd these days), I haven't gone looking for the trailhead yet.

There's also a trail over Moose Mountain which we followed partway a few years ago. It leads to a vista of the Lake, and then up the back side of Hor. Trailhead is just past Wheeler Pond (where the GMC camps are) on the Wheeler Mountain Rd. I don't remember this mountain having a trail in the "old days".