Large Snow Storm hitting northern New England

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
I know we have had a lot of snow this year and you may not see this as a big deal, but unlike all the other storms that drop 6..8..10..12 each time, this looks like more of a large storm. Its going to be a heavy widespread storm effecting ADKS all the way to Baxter. A low is going to pass south of us and redevelop in the Gulf of Maine, and instead of being a fast mover and moving right out of the area like La Nina has done all year, its going to snow from Tuesday afternoon till Wednesday night in the foothills and till Thursday afternoon or night in the mountains. This will be a strong storm with 1-2.5 inches of melted along with it and cold air wrapping up behind it. My forecast from models is that in the Greens 12-18 inches will fall and 12-20 with isolated 2 foot amounts over the Whites, and the same for Maine mountains. There will be a tight rain/snow line so southern NH will not get a lot of snow from this like has been the case all winter, Concord, NH 90 inches already. Foothills of Vt, NH, and ME north will get 7-14 inches it looks with locally higher amounts. Looking foreword, it may continue till at least the beggining of March. -Mattl

This is going to be an unpopular POV but personally, as much as I've enjoyed snowshoeing this winter, I'm ready for the spring. I live just north of Concord and I've still got 2+ feet in the backyard. And many of the north facing trails of the higher elevations are going to be snowed in until July this year. Yeesh, enough already!!!

Update: Burlington just issued warnings for all of VT for 10-15 inches with higher amounts in higher elevations. NH and Maine are still under watches for 8-14 inches but the should go up since more precip is forecast in that area. -Mattl

Thanks for the detailed Mattl-Cast!

A good heavy dose of snow is just what the mountains need right now - hopefully it will stick to the trees in good shape and restore the "winter wonderland" effect that we had before the last thaw event.

dentonfabrics said:
This is going to be an unpopular POV but personally, as much as I've enjoyed snowshoeing this winter, I'm ready for the spring. I live just north of Concord and I've still got 2+ feet in the backyard. And many of the north facing trails of the higher elevations are going to be snowed in until July this year. Yeesh, enough already!!!
Weather Reports: Read'em and Weep! :D

dentonfabrics said:
I am with you. This winter has been good to me, but lately I have been longing for the vibrant greens of late spring.....

Brian

Another 12-24" in the Whites will make it difficult to walk under the soon-to-be-at-knee-level spruce boughs.

I heard late last week (before the last storm) that Concord was at 88.6" and MWO reported 159" (mostly blown away however -- this was on NHPR.

There was 24-28" in my back yard (Bedford, NH) yesterday in a random sampling. It's not particularly sunny back there, however.

Tim

Last edited:
So maybe the powder will be back in on the Wildcat Valley Trail?

I for one have NOT yet had enough of winter, as I have brand-spankin'-new skis and want to try 'em out.

Just without the bonus SAR experience, thanks.

Great job, Mattl!

Convergence of models...

In this case, I refer to the highly reliable Mattl model, and the directionally correct but sometimes irrationally exuberant Roemer model (bestskiweather.com)... Roemer, too, is calling for 9" to 18" with isolated 24" pockets in most of the Whites.

And here I sit in Boston tonight... might just add a second night to my trip, since I can't ski or hike on Wednesday anyway, and driving back in the middle of the storm is about as appealing as an elective root canal.

Well, the slopes could use a good freshening after all the rain and traffic last week...

For every bit that I hated our 5+ hour drive from greater Boston to North Conway last Friday night, I still want the snow to fall! Dump on the ski areas, please ... there's still too much boilerplate underneath and in the trees. :D

MichaelJ said:
For every bit that I hated our 5+ hour drive from greater Boston to North Conway last Friday night, I still want the snow to fall! Dump on the ski areas, please ... there's still too much boilerplate underneath and in the trees. :D

Call in sick...Twofer day at Wildcat Wednesday. :D

Thanks guys, I know weather impacts the degree of activities we will be doing, ie 2 more feet in the Whites could make things interesting for finding some trails. An update this mornings, 2 feet is looking likely above 2000 feet by Thursday in the Whites with more Friday. A winter to remember. -Mattl

Elevation Storm on the Way

This will probably end up being one of those typical early spring snows up north, with the higher elevations picking up the most snow. The downsloped valley locations will get the least, and the NW facing slopes will get the most. If all goes well, 15-20+ inches is not out of the realm of possibilities in some favored areas of the mountains, from VT to ME.

With the wet nature of the snow, and local shadowing, I'll prob end up with 6-10 inches of wet snow here in Hanover, but I'm hoping for more. :) Its nice to see the snow already falling, btw.

grouseking

Screw spring, BRING ON MORE SNOW!

Hey, I may do the good old "cough cough, hack hack" on thursday and go north to ski at cannon or loooooooooon. is the snow supposed to be heavy or light? i already had one ACL replaced on the left knee, so I'll shy away if the snow is heavy & wet. But, could be tempted if light & fluffy!