Lincoln Woods Trail bridge being replaced (10/29-11/9)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Here's an excerpt from the USFS website on the reconstruction of the old railroad bridge at the Franconia Falls (north) end of the Lincoln Woods Trail (which is the former beginning of the Wilderness Trail, on the west side of the Pemi). This is not the big suspension bridge at the parking lot, but the smaller bridge west and and a few miles north of that one--the bridge where chickadees eat out of your hand in the winter.

"The old railroad bridge, which crosses Franconia Brook where the Lincoln Woods Trail becomes the Wilderness Trail, will be replaced, with work starting October 29 and continuing to November 9.

Hikers using the Lincoln Woods and Wilderness trails from the south, and the Franconia Brook, Lincoln Brook and Bondcliff trails from the north, will be affected by the work and are advised to seek alternative routes, such as the Pemigewasset East Side Trail (formerly known as East Side Truck Road), and to use the Lincoln Woods suspension bridge if crossing the river from the south or the Wilderness suspension bridge from the north.

Those going to Franconia Falls will not be hindered by the construction, but should be alert as they may encounter vehicles on the trail. Caution should be exercised passing the project site." [end quote]

The Pemi is still running a bit higher than usual after the 10/27-28 deluge, and more rain is forecast on and off this week.

Last edited:
This means that the Black Pond bushwhack or the Fishermen's route will be the best way to go for those heading to Owl's Head in the next 10 days.

For those heading to the Bonds, the Pemi East Side trail is a nice change of scenery. It will add about a mile to the trip in each direction, but you get to go right by the famous Black Brook trestle along the way.

albee said:
For those heading to the Bonds, the Pemi East Side trail is a nice change of scenery.

NH MT Hiker tried to get me to hike that back to LW after a trip over the bonds - I said no way - I had 12 cold ones on ice in the car waiting - wasn't hiking an extra mile. ;) :)

baba boey, fla fla foey, fa fa foey, la la loey

giggy said:
NH MT Hiker tried to get me to hike that back to LW after a trip over the bonds - I said no way - I had 12 cold ones on ice in the car waiting - wasn't hiking an extra mile. ;) :)

baba boey, fla fla foey, fa fa foey, la la loey

I'm with you on that one. We took East Side trail out after the "Head" in August. My vote for one big "B"...as in boring. At least the Wilderness trail has some railroad ties to step over. Besides what's 10 days..find another hike. :rolleyes:

Assuming the fisherman's route is taking Franconia Falls & then following the river, this isn't too bad, one crossing of a small brook. Part of the way has a hedpath & apparently a very old logging road (it's bushwhacking but easy to follow)

Does anyone know if the renovation is on schedule and the bridge repairs will be completed tomorrow. I was hoping to do the 11.2 Pemi mile loop on Saturday.

Ginny

I would be really surprised if the work is completed on time, but as noted in other threads, the bridge is easy enough to cross on weekends when no one is there working on it (i.e., it may be officially closed, but not uncrossable).

Franconia Brook Bridge - impassable

FYI...

We hiked into the Franconia Brook bridge yesterday, Saturday Nov. 10th, only to discover the bridge had been removed completly. Workers were there starting the reconstruction of a new bridge. No one was allowed near the site. We tried to bushwack upstream but couldn't find a safe place to cross due to the high water. We had Summit (dog) with us and decided it just wasn't worth the risk to any of us. We did, however, see a few people wading across above the falls barefoot. Better them than me......

The workers told us the bridge wasn't expected to be open for at least another week and a half.

Ginny

Flatlander_SG said:
The workers told us the bridge wasn't expected to be open for at least another week and a half.

Completion is now projected for the end of November. The trail is so rutted that cyclists and joggers are being advised to use the East side trail until Lincoln Brook is graded again, probably in spring.