Looking for mitten shell recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peakbagr

Reaction score
I've been looking for a mitten shell. Would like a pair to cover a pair of heavy, thick, fleece mittens.
The other for a spare of Dachstein wook mittens.

It seems everywhere I look the shells have down, primaloft, or some other type of insulation. The shells should be durable, at least shed moisture and a a decent gripping material in the palm.

I don't need any extra insulation, my mittens will do the job, so not looking for ones with that come with removable liners.

Any suggestions? Tried EMS and they said they no longer make them this way.

Thanks

Peakbagr said:
I've been looking for a mitten shell. Would like a pair to cover a pair of heavy, thick, fleece mittens.
The other for a spare of Dachstein wook mittens.

It seems everywhere I look the shells have down, primaloft, or some other type of insulation. The shells should be durable, at least shed moisture and a a decent gripping material in the palm.

I don't need any extra insulation, my mittens will do the job, so not looking for ones with that come with removable liners.

Any suggestions? Tried EMS and they said they no longer make them this way.

Thanks

Peakbagr, is this what you're looking for? If so, they're on sale:

http://www.greatoutdoors.com/go/product/outdoorresearchmodularmittwithliner/altrec.com/

Try giving Ragged Mt. in Intervale NH a call. They used to sell just the shells; the ones I bought from them are going strong after a 1/2 dozen years of moderate use.

There are several different models of the OR overmitts that so many people have. They range from water resistant to Gore-tex, with liners, without, thick liners, thin liners, rubber palms, no rubber palms, etc.

I bought just the shell mitts from Campmor several years ago. Campmor still seems to have a pretty good variety in each catalog.

In practice I don't actually use them much anymore, but I ALWAYS have them in my pack. My warmest hand protection includes these overmitts and a pair of ratty but very thick wool cruiser mitts, which I wear in camp a lot.

spencer

I have used the low-end OR goretex mitt shells and have not been happy with their durability. I wore out two pairs. Each pair lasted only 2 winters. Granted, they were abused. I did get one pair to go a third winter but they had a lot of dental floss sewing by then.

I know that the better quality ORs (the Baker model) are probably better. I did not get them but chose the EMS shells as they were at a clearence price that could not be passed up. The EMS shells lasted better than the ORs. Sorry to hear they do not make them anymore.

JHS

I have some OR Mt. Baker shells with single and double fleece liners that I bought online. I wish I had saved the receipt so I could send them back. I bought some BD Mercury Mitts at Climb High and use them with either the Primaloft liners or Fox River three-layer gloves. I find the gloves are warmer and fit better than Dachsteins (I've worn out a few pairs of those too). Just my opinion, good luck.

I just got a recent mailer from Sierra Trading Post and it showed several Outdoor Research mitts on clearance. I matched the catalog number on their site it came up with these mitts. You should be able to find the others there as well.

Last edited:
carole said:
I just got a recent mailer from Sierra Trading Post and it showed several Outdoor Research mitts on clearance. I matched the catalog number on their site it came up with these mitts. You should be able to find the others there as well.

i would go with the mitts linked in the quote, sara can attest....she is in the first season with them, and never having mitts before she is quite happy.. she got them last off-season for a price of 18 dollars.. :eek:

i've used the ragged mtn mitts since the winter of 95'....yes, i bought these things at the store that used to be open at Styvesant plaza in albany.... i do need treat them, recently i got soaked in a down poor of rain but other then that they work so well... in the winter these are the only things i have on my hands while hiking/skiing etc.... i will use the blue mitts and fleece gloves when it gets real cold, but other then that, the mitts are the way to go...

good luck..

edited to add that those MEC mitts also look perfect, plus the canadian dollar...

Last edited:
I have 2 sets of the Ragged Mt fleece mitts. They are the gloves I'm looking for the shell for. Following your idea, I called the Ragged Mt store in NH and ordered their shell.
I'm also going to get one of the discounted OR shells for the other pair.
Thanks for the tips.

By the way, in speaking with the guy at Ragged Mt. He said the gloves we're describing are called Rockpiles. They don't regularly carry them any longer and he implied that when they receive some leftover material, they do a run of these mittens from time to time. I hike with them all the time in winter, but since they'd be hard to replace, I like the idea of a shell to protect them and to boost their warmth even further when its really cold out.

harryk said:
MEC has a sweet Mitten gore tex shell beleive it lists for $73 Kanadian,
so like what $ 30 US would get it :)..not quite anymore......hk
i will be gettin a pair from Santa and am lookin forward to have mittens finally!
Also there is a Polaretec 300 mitten to go with the shell for $ 20 Kan..
I've looked at (on internet) various overmitts and think the Cloudraker Overmitts sold by MEC are the ones to beat. Put a Dachstein woolie in there and your ready for serious Kanadian winter Kold.

Http://www.mec.ca

OR shells are the bomb. I have a pair I've had for 10 years. Use them with a thin glove liner if its on the warm side and with wool mitts if its chilly. Both if its really cold. Those shells are great and worth the cost even if they don't come without their liners.