MacNaughton Attempt 10/29/05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymama

Reaction score
We had a gorgeous sunny winter-wonderland hike (in October!) across Indian Pass Brook and along Henderson Lake toward Duck Hole, before turning northeast up the herd path. The small snow-loaded fir trees crowded and obscured the trail making it very slow-going, dumping snow on us continuously. Wet, exhausted, and still only at 2800 feet elevation, we made a very good decision to turn around.

Pictures

Last edited:
Reactions: yam
Nice Pics CrazyMama! Especially liked the ones looking out thru the trees over henderson lake.
You never no what conditions you will get at this time of year. Better luck next time.

Hi Audrey,
McNaughton has a special status on the 46er list. While it isn't a true-blue 46er peak the 46ers definitely encourage its ascension. I think this is because of its elevation.
Then again, it is definitely on the ADK HH list. There are several directions from which you can climb it. Normally, it would be my pleasure to accompany you and Pasquale on this challenging hike except I've already done it. Let me know if you have a hankering for any other ADK hundred highest summmits and it will be my pleasure to be your valet. No job too big or small.

Crazymama (can I just call you Crazy?),
It's good to read about attempts and to see your nice photos. There is much to be learned from failed summit attempts. When I hiked partway up MacNaughton a month ago (70 degrees and sunny), I noted that I wouldn't want to do it in wet conditions. Pushing through the hemlocks would result in getting soaked very soon after starting up the brook. It looks like a route that would be fun (in a challenging way) to attempt again once the brook freezes up. Sounds like we could get a small group to do that hike. :D
If I remember correctly, MacNaughton is the 43rd highest peak in the Adirondacks, at just a few feet under 4000, depending on which survey you read.

AlG said:
If I remember correctly, MacNaughton is the 43rd highest peak in the Adirondacks, at just a few feet under 4000, depending on which survey you read.

MacNaughton is Number 47, on the list. Later surveys showed it to be exactly 4,000'.
The Forty Sixers consider the Forty Six original peaks surveyed to be the top 46. MacNaughton is considered the "Bonus Peak," as Grace Hudowalski always referred it to.

In later years, Nye, Blake, Couchsachraga and Cliff were later surveyed at below 4,000'. But in order to be a Forty Sixer the other four must be climbed, according to the rules.

As Skyclimber wrote, "MacNaughton is Number 47, on the list. Later surveys showed it to be exactly 4,000'. The Forty Sixers consider the Forty Six original peaks surveyed to be the top 46."

It may be #47 on the 46ers list, but I was talking about actual height. With 3 of the "Official 46" peaks having less elevation, MacNaughton is indeed the 43rd highest. The 46ers also ask if you've climbed Hunter and Slide in the Catskills. Since I did those at the September 2004 VFTT Gathering, I just need MacNaughton to feel like I completed the New York 4K's. There are also 15 or so additional "ADK Hundred Highest" peaks that are higher than Couchsachraga. There's always a good reason to keep climbing!

It's Number 47 in the Guidebooks as well. It's 4 of the "Official 46" peaks having less elevation.
The 46ers ask if you climbed Hunter and Slide, but they are not required anymore than MacNaughton is. :)