Maine - BF search

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rup

Reaction score
I am gearing up to hit the Maine 4000 foters this spring/summer. I came across this note that the BFRO will be be on 'expedition' in Maine in early June searching for bigfoot. Attached are some pix of Maine Mts from their website. I'm not familiar enuff to identify (except Katahdin) - can anyone identify the pix? As facinating as this may be, it might be a good week to avoid their choice of woods.

http://www.bfro.net/news/roundup/maine.asp

rup said:
I am gearing up to hit the Maine 4000 foters this spring/summer. I came across this note that the BFRO will be be on 'expedition' in Maine in early June searching for bigfoot. Attached are some pix of Maine Mts from their website. I'm not familiar enuff to identify (except Katahdin) - can anyone identify the pix? As facinating as this may be, it might be a good week to avoid their choice of woods.

http://www.bfro.net/news/roundup/maine.asp
Hah! In early June they will find 1) BS (big snow) in the upper reaches and 2) BBF(big black flies) in the lower reaches.

Avoid that time of year anyway!

May

They won't find me (Size 13). I go canoeing in May. :)

I thought the first one is the Mahoosucs and the second Acadia (BF hangs out at the beach in the background?). Some more of Katahdin.....

A couple of the photos are generic and a couple look like Katahdin but I'd guess 2 from Acadia - hardly where I'd look for Bigfoot if I expected to find something other than nice bars to hang out after work :)

Hee hee! I thought VFTT was doing personals now -- i.e. "Maine boyfriend search."

:D :p ;)

Could be the Bemis Mountain/Elephant Mountain/Mooselookmeguntic area

It might be the Mooselookmeguntic area of Maine where Elephant Mountain is located. There was an article in the Sun Journal about hunting for Big Foot in the area and one time while doing research on the Bemis Track (which leads from Hwy 17 to the AT), I found some Big Foot information. Elephant Mountain isn't a 4000 footer but is on the New England Hundred Highest.
http://www.sunjournal.com/story/241143-3/MaineNews/Looking_for_Bigfoot/

Beth

I know more than one person from Maine who possesses almost all the physical characteristics of BF. So, if I were them, I'd probably stay out of the woods during that timeframe.

Stinkyfeet said:
Hee hee! I thought VFTT was doing personals now -- i.e. "Maine boyfriend search."

I heard BF was single... so I guess if any of the VFTT ladies out there dig a mysterious, hairy, tall man I say go for it.

I'll take a stab:

1. BSP - Traveler (foreground on right), Pogy Notch and Katahdin massif from summit (or maybe E. Overlook) of Horse Mtn.
2. Acadia - Sand Beach from Thunder Hole, or maybe as far as Otter Cliffs.
3. nothing to go on...
4. BSP - Great and North Basins from Sandy Stream Pond. This seems to be one of the most common photos vantages of Katahdin, often with a moose in the picture.
5. BSP - Wall of South Basin from the front step of the now gone bunkhouse (as of a week or two ago). You can see the Cathedrals Ridge to the right plus several of the ice routes.
6. Acadia - the Bubbles from in front of the Jordan Pond House
7. BSP - Basin Ponds with South and North Turner above them. Traveler is visible in upper left. The picture was probably taken from somewhere near Pamola's Caves or down low on the Dudley Trail.

Charlie and Beth said:
It might be the Mooselookmeguntic area of Maine where Elephant Mountain is located. There was an article in the Sun Journal about hunting for Big Foot in the area and one time while doing research on the Bemis Track (which leads from Hwy 17 to the AT), I found some Big Foot information. Elephant Mountain isn't a 4000 footer but is on the New England Hundred Highest.
http://www.sunjournal.com/story/241143-3/MaineNews/Looking_for_Bigfoot/

Beth

Hey, that's where my camp is! Maybe Bigfoot is living there during the offseason :p

Two of them are indeed in Acadia looking at the Bubbles and Sand Beach. I am curious if they are searching for bigfoot on the island or are they just going there for R&R after searching the Maine woods? If I were looking for Bigfoot, I would look in Madawaska or Fort Kent.

OOOH! I just read the FAQ's and I DO qualify to go search for Bigfoot!!! I am older than 25, I have $300, a tent, and no dog. The only concern for me is that you cannot bring a fire arm, just a taser. What if I find BF, and he comes at me, I have a feeling my taser will not take him down, just make him a little more upset.

Last edited:
Mbf

Mostly BF comes out at night so I don't think photos help...plus he/she probably would not care for popovers so Jordon Pond House is obviously a red herring - so to speak..

Stinkyfeet said:

Single, sweaty bushwhacker seeks open woods, ridgeline for summit cannister & possible long term commitment to the right list.

RoySwkr said:
I'd guess 2 from Acadia - hardly where I'd look for Bigfoot if I expected to find something other than nice bars to hang out after work
It's been pointed out to me that bars may be a good place to collect Bigfoot stories, and if you stay there long enough you may see him yourself :)