Maine (OK, [I]southern[/I] Maine) beer night

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where to meet for Beers in Portland?

• Great Lost Bear

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • RiRa

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rivalries

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can't stand any of those places, (or) I'm antisocial!

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mad Townie

Reaction score
Maine (OK, "southern" Maine) beer night

Time to get off the pot and onto the bar stool!

Where do we meet? Poll says RiRa, Great Lost Bear, Rivalries (good upstairs area) or somewhere else.

Thursday, November 3rd looks good to me, unless there's a huge uproar. :D

All invited! Remember we're only 2 hours from Boston, 1 from Portsmouth, 2 1/2 from Bangor, and a little farther from Nadine!

Last edited:
Reactions: yam
I'll gladly go to any of those places but I voted for Great Lost Bear... so many beers on tap!

Last edited:
Nov 3rd works for me!!
and Great Lost Bear.... good place. :)

dr_wu002 said:
I'll think about it. What time?

Details, details! :rolleyes:

How about if people start showing up anytime after 6, and we can plan to eat around 7 or 7:30? In other words, let's be flexible.

Cool! I'm voting for Great Lost Bear! Thanks Mad Townie for geting this orgainized! :D

Dr Wu...I hope you can make it!

-MEB

Mad Townie said:
Time to get off the pot and onto the bar stool!

Where do we meet? Poll says RiRa, Great Lost Bear, Rivalries (good upstairs area) or somewhere else.

Thursday, November 3rd looks good to me, unless there's a huge uproar. :D

All invited! Remember we're only 2 hours from Boston, 1 from Portsmouth, 2 1/2 from Bangor, and a little farther from Nadine!

I used to live in Portland. I'm now about 1 - 1 1/4 hour from Portland. I still have friends and family in the area. I recommend the Great Lost Bear, 'cause, yes they do have quite the selection of beers, not that I wouldn't know too much about that.... :D but a good friend of mine and I used to do happy hour once in a while, that was one of the places we would go. Margaritas on St. John Street was another great place to go, as well as the Dry Dock on Commercial St.(Old Port), Three Dollar Deweys(Old Port) and Brian Boru's(Old Port) were a few other great places to go.....again not that I would know too much about it. :D LOL These are some pretty good laid back places that has micro brewed beer(more Three Dollar Dewey's and Brian Boru's than the others), but these are some pretty good places for happy hour. Now it's been a while since I've actually been down the Old Port, so I don't even know if Dewey's is still there, they change so much down there, ya never know.

Now as far as RiRa's goes....I don't know about that, the only time I went in there was for a nice dinner. It has both an upstairs for dining and a downstairs for just drinking, I guess? Not sure about the down stairs. This place was very nice and expensive for dinner so I'm not sure how the downstairs is for having drinks??? All I know is that it seemed a little upscale and kinda snootty, so not sure how the downstairs would be, again, I thought it was kinda expensive, especially for the Old Port, but that's my opinion. Rivalries, must be a new place....there's always bars/resturant's coming and going down the Old Port.

Again, this is a matter of opinion, so depending on what your looking for....if it gets a little rowdy I would recommend any of the ones I mentioned down the Old Port and Margaritas. Also, there's a Margaritas close to the Old Port thats on Brown St., these are all fun places to go to get a bite to eat and have drinks. Like I said, I'm not too sure about RiRa's.... :confused: I thought they were expensive, I think dinner and one drink for two cost us somewhere in the range of $60-80....pricey. Food was great, I just thought it was too expensive for our taste, of course this was a special occasion for my husband and me, but for a few drinks and some food.....

After reading what Klutz says, I wanna change my vote :eek: Margarita's is a good choice (I prefer the one on Brown St near the Civic Ctr). No matter how crowded it gets, you never seem to be packed in like sardines which do you feel like at RiRa's some evenings. But I'll second what LittleBears says - I'll go wherever the group decides.

We could always go to J's Oysters :D !! Sometimes they still have $1 oysters (raw). And every once in a while there's they guy at the end of the bar who wears an eye patch! Arrrrgggghh matey! :p

I'm in like Flynn! I voted Great Lost Bear, only because the name sounds cool. I've never been to any of the aformentioned bars.

Looking forward to it! :D :D :D

With the numbers it looks like we're going to have, we'll need a place with enough room for us to be pretty much together and where we won't have to yell too loud over a band or whatever. If we can stay in the same place to eat, that'll be good, too.

I'm fine with anywhere (though I voted Bear), so at some point I guess I'll just call the results of the poll good and we'll go with the majority, OK? Not yet, though!

Gee, sounds like if I can make it, I may have to stay at a friends in Portland, maybe even drag her along with me. :D I'm due for a stay in Portland anyway. She doesn't really hike, but is always up for a good time, especailly at the Great Lost Bear!

What about the fisherman bars? We can start at the Dry Dock, work our way throgh Angie's, the Sail Loft and on down Commercial street, and be at Beckey's by the time they open for breakfeast! ;)

GLB= great beer selection + great junk food (mmmmm chili cheese fries) If I am free that night count me in.

chinooktrail said:
What about the fisherman bars? We can start at the Dry Dock, work our way throgh Angie's, the Sail Loft and on down Commercial street, and be at Beckey's by the time they open for breakfeast! ;)

No one ever said the night (or morning) had to END at the Bear! :D

chinooktrail said:

Now there's an idea... :D By the time you hit the last one down on Commercial St. your gonna need something to eat. :rolleyes: