Mansfield Saturday and Mud Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedxing

Reaction score
A hiker friend plans on hiking Mansfield Saturday. I assume this is the first day of mud-season. Given the snow still there, is there likely to be tolerance for hikers on the 16th? Does anyone know if it is, for practical purposes, mud season on any part of the trails around Mansfield?

https://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=244
The State of Vermont closes all trails on state land including those on Camel's Hump and Mount Mansfield from mid-April until Memorial Day weekend. Please do not hike in these fragile areas. Also avoid: Stratton Mountain, Killington Peak, Lincoln Ridge (Mount Ellen to Appalachian Gap), Jay Peak.

The trails on Mansfield may be closed. Call the state or the GMC.

I'd check, as Dave advises. But, it's an exceptionally good snow year this year - I skied the Teardrop this past Saturday and was on snow from the car to the Nose without so much as sidestepping a water crossing. Certainly no mud then, although the rain could have changed things.

Mansfield conditions

I don't know it this is still useful to you, but I was on Mansfield last Sunday from the east and there was plenty of snow even down low so I think you'd be fine with regard to the "mud season" rules.
Enjoy!
John