marmot driclime wind shirt

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure the Driclime windshirt is the one I picked up on clearance at REI last fall. Thin, lightweight but lined. Mesh vents in pits. Single napolean zip pocket on chest.

If this is the case I have nothing but good things to say about it. After sweating up a storm in heavier jackets I found I didn't need (maybe just me) I went the rest of last winter with just this and a long-sleeved Techwick for top layers and never got cold. Went down to a known -9 at the trailhead and considerably chillier higher up. I packed, and used, a fleece vest and later a down jacket for stops but while on the move this was sufficient.

It's not 100% waterproof but will shrug off snow and keeps a pretty biting wind at bay.

I'll be trotting it out again before too long for another season of winter fun and wouldn't hesitate to get another. When are the sales ;)

Bob

I have a driclime windshirt and love it -- it's one of my favorite pieces of clothing. Lightweight, packs easily, and is very effective at keeping the cold and wind at bay. My only complaint is that it leaves my neck exposed and it gets chilly, so in late fall/early winter I usually wear a neck gaiter with it.

pudgy_groundhog said:
My only complaint is that it leaves my neck exposed and it gets chilly, so in late fall/early winter I usually wear a neck gaiter with it.

I have the hooded version, which takes care of that. The hood is lined just like the jacket and I bring it on every dry chilly hike, and most backpacks. It has replaced a summit fleece for most hikes now. Very comfortable. I use it primarily 3 season now that I wear a Schoeller soft shell for winter peakbagging, but have had good luck with it on cold winter days. The shell material does worry me a bit in the dense and thick upper reaches, hence the indestructible Schoeller. But overall it does a great job.

One of the most versatile pieces of gear I've ever owned!

Summer or winter, it's a rare trip where I don't pack my driclime windshirt. It really adds a lot of warmth and wind protection for its light weight and small packing size. It's not really waterproof, but highly breathable.

DriClime Windshirt

HighHorse--

For about 3 years I used my DriClime Windshirt for my daily am jog/bike workout in cool weather as well as on many backpacks. At this point it is no longer appreciably water repellent, although this does renew for a while with Nik-Wax spray treatment. The wrist elastics have lost it also, not a big point. This is way more use/abuse than most garments will take. The thing I liked best about it was the lack of after-chill on ceasing exercise in cool weather. The microfiber shell stops next to skin convection quite effectively. On the other hand, eventually I sewed myself an unlined Pertex 4 hooded single thickness windshirt (see AYCE's project on www.Thru-hiker.com). I now prefer to wear the unlined windshirt next to skin as it retains less moisture and is lighter (5 oz). But I still treasure my DriClime.

Walt

any ideas on where to grab one of these online?

I've been looking around but have found very little.... and when I do find it, it is on an obscure site and the colors and sizes are limited.

Have they phased this model out?

Holdstrong--

REI lists the DriClime windshirt on sale in their latest (Labor Day)mail order catalog, so check their website. The latest model differs a little from my old one by the addition of elastic side panels. Sometimes Sierra Trading Post has them on sale, usually in odd sizes and colors.

Walt

Gotta be careful - the Driclime name is used for several different products. I guess it's one of their component material names.

The Driclime Windshirt is a different beast to the Driclime Jacket.

Bob

DriClime Windshirt

Holdstrong--

This Marmot DriClime Windshirt (Men's) - climbinggear.com is what I got from EMS on sale (Ardmore PA) for $ 60 three years ago, color black. No elastic side panels. DriClime refers to the wicking material of the lining.

Walt

Thanks for the reminder about "driclime" being used for several different products.

I found this baby on REI Outlet.... it looks a lot like the windhsirt and has a crazy discount. I'm contemplating a purchase... but I REALLY want the windshirt, so if this model differs substantially from it I just wont be happy.

REI Link to DriClime Flex Jacket

Whatcha think? The description sounds positive:

Here's a high-performance version of the classic Marmot Windshirt, with slim fit for speed or ease of layering.

The Driclime Flex Jacket appears to be a slightly heavier layer than the Windshirt. Here is a very positive review of the Flex:

http://www.gearreview.com/Marmot_Driclime_flex.php

Stated weight is 12 oz versus 10 oz for the Windshirt as listed on the Marmot web site. I'm stating the weight difference not because I'm an ounce counter (all right, I admit, I do carry a titanium spork), but because it indicates that the shell material is different on the Flex Jacket versus the Windshirt. It's probably more windproof than wind resistant. It probably would be slightly less soft, but with stretch panels and "angel wing" arms it would still be comfortable. All in all, more substantial than the Windshirt.

Not the same as the Windshirt, then but certainly a good piece of gear for the price.