Moose Mtn

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motabobo

Reaction score
Hi

I was looking at ways to do Moose/McKenzie and I found the following trail leading directly into the lake...There seems to be houses along the coast. Is there a road or at least trail that leads to this trail ? I was thinking of doing a nice loop this way :D

Thanks

When I did it at least 10+ years ago, it was possible to follow the trail from Moose down the mountain (we came over from McKensie) ....I should really say "a trail" as the trail was not exactly like the representation on the topo. Finding it from the bottom may be more difficult, but some more current beta may direct you to finding it. At the shore there was a trail along the lake refered to as the shore owner's trail. It was a little awkward as we were essentially walking thru and around peoples cabins. Didn't see any posted signs.

Now the trail between Moose and McKensie, could best be desribed as lost noticed the past tense. Not loosing, nor getting lost, but really lost. We could not find nor follow it Other than a short section or stray blaze here or there.

It was a nice whack with some challenging flora here but generally a good day hike that leaves one tired enough to really enjoying a beer when it's over.

Motabobo said:
Any chance you can put those pics back up :D No biggy though !
Maybe! :D

I have them at home, but I 'prune' my online files every month or so. I'll see if I can dig them up tonight...

The trail between Moose/McKenzie is maintained by the SOA (Shore Owners Assc.) and it is a absolute DELIGHT. It subtle but easy enough to follow. I sorta put is akin to low-maintenance whacking :D . You gotta pay a little attention to stay on the trail, buts it's subtle enough to give the rugged whacking feel.

Those linked reports are great, and another TR that gives good DESCRIPTION for more info.

Both Peaks are a delight. The trail coming off of Moose is NOT the one shown on your map. It head off of the summit and heads towards the Twin Brook trail. There is a side-shoot to Loch Bonnie (which is marginally worth it).

The trail along the lake is more like a meandering through rich peoples yard and is kinda weird. I'd STRONGLY suggest the loop from McK --> Moose. The trailhead is easy yo locate. At the end of the day, once you hit the shore, you're just contouring over back to your starting point, some along trail, some along driveway or private roads for a small section. It'd be a pain to locate the Twin Brook Trail from this angle if you're unfamiliar.

As a side note, DO THIS TRIP. I'd rank this hike (and these peaks) over half the HPs. If not for the summits (which are nice), but for the rugged, "natural" feel of the trail. Views are nice too.

Here's a nice McKENZIE PANORAMA shot to put you in the mood :D