Moriah or Carrigan?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4000'er

Reaction score
I am planning on heading North to Moriah or Carrigan Tuesday. I haven't seen any trail reports or trail conditions posted. Anyone been up that way?

Any thoughts for or against for doing one or the other at this time?
Thanks

I can't say I've been to either, but I was up top Kearsarge North on Saturday and NOBODY had been up there since the last snow and this is usually a very popular trail. It was thigh-deep in places and if I wasn't so stubborn I would have turned around long before I even got to the ledges. I have a feeling some pretty deep snow is going to be sticking around in the Whites for a while. Hopefully, others have cleared a path for you up one or both of those summits. Good Luck! :)

There's a recent trail conditions post for Moriah by Enapai:

http://www.vftt.org/trail/nh/732.html

I was on the other end of the Carter range (Wildcat) on Saturday, and the snow was DEEP (see my trail conditions post). I'd pick whatever trail is most likely to have had people on it before you, or plan on a very long day.

Thanks for the info guys.
I ended up doing Moriah on Tues. It was patchy snow up to 1500’ where I put on my snowshoes and kept them on all the way up to the summit. It was a long trek up. (It took me 6:15 to make it up.) After about 1/3 way up the tracks stopped, and I was on my own. I don’t know if you can call it breaking trail, but not having any tracks to follow was new to me. As Enapai said , it was hard to follow the trail at times, and I lost it a couple of times. I used my GPS to get back on track. I realized that I was hiking with my head down, and not watching the trail. After I paid more attention to the trail and its surroundings, I found I could follow (read) the trail (even with the faded blazes) and I didn’t get off track the rest of the day. It was one of the highlights of the day, a lesson learned on the trail, if you will. Just call me Jeremiah Johnson from now on.
How long will the snow last? Not long, by my return trip, (which took 3:15) my tracks from the morning were already melting away.
Coming down was interesting. At times, I resembled the classic telemark skier, one leg bent as I slid down the steep sections. Other times, Body Miller, ski poles up in front of me blocking the gates (branches) in my way. There were those times where I looked like a snowball too. :eek: The best, though, was how I felt - like a kid sliding on my butt (what’s the name for that?) down the mountainside. Moriah Pix here

Last edited:
Nice pics 4000, I love Moriah's view.

4000'er said:
Other times, Body Miller, ski poles up in front of me blocking the gates (branches) in my way.

Were you still half in the bag from a night of drinking too?!?! :) ;)

TDawg said:
Nice pics 4000, I love Moriah's view.

Were you still half in the bag from a night of drinking too?!?! :) ;)

I guess that would explain why I couldn't find the trail...

Water Bottle

Oh, I almost forgot.
When I took off my pack at the end of the hike, I realized that I lost one of my water bottles on the way back...