Mount Blue, ME 7/13/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillDC

Reaction score
The trailhead starts in a small parking lot at the end of Mount Blue road in the Mount Blue state park in Weld. There is a picnic area just beyond the parking lot with a nice enclosed table area and fine looking privy. The trail is in great shape and dry. A side trail about half way up leads to the old watchman's camp which is still standing, but in very bad shape. Exploring around, I followed an old pipe out to the watchman's brook and found a nice waterfall. It wasn't really active today being so dry lately, but would be nice once the brook got more active. Headed back up to the main trail, stopped to talk with some other hikers going up. It was a busy day with day hikers and one large boys camp group. The trail is pretty moderate all of the way with a few steep spots near the top.

The trail emerges onto the summit which is still an active construction site for the state's new radio system. The old 1931 fire tower was removed last fall and a new fire tower look-alike is now standing. The cab of the tower holds 4 microwave antennas all hidden in the box. About half way up the tower, a new observation platform gives full views in all directions. Construction is still going on at the radio/generator building, but the tower is complete and open to climbing. Another hazy, hot and humid day, but the views were worth the short climb. The last time I was up here, there were limited views.

Photos

https://picasaweb.google.com/BillDC3/MountBlueME7132012?authuser=0&feat=directlink

blue with a view!

tower looks great! I think watchman's cabin is creepy.. hiked blue twice love the steady climb but disliked the lack of views, (esp. considering tumbledown, little jackson and bald are close by) looking forward to a future hike there!