mount liberty

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayjay

Reaction score
Can someone walk me through the shortcut to the Mount Liberty trail? Do you park at the Basin? Also, anybody been up the Flume slide lately?

Not sure about a shortcut. The shortest way is to have someone drop you off where 3 comes into 93. The recreational trail is just down the east embankment and the Liberty trail is just north from there. Otherwise, I think it's a bit shorter to park at The Basin parking then at The Flume.

Not sure about a shortcut. The shortest way is to have someone drop you off where 3 comes into 93. The recreational trail is just down the east embankment and the Liberty trail is just north from there. Otherwise, I think it's a bit shorter to park at The Basin parking then at The Flume.

But if you park at the Basin, then those of us coming from the south have to drive further north in order to return south on 93, right? I like the Flume lot because I can head home directly afterwards, and the walking isn't bad because it's what I like to do.

Can someone walk me through the shortcut to the Mount Liberty trail? Do you park at the Basin?
I believe that Grayjay is asking about the Shortcut from Liberty Spring to Bike Path. It starts from the Bike path about 0.3 miles south of the Basin parking lot. In summer there is a reasonably well beaten path (if you know where to look ;)); in winter there often is a broken track. Best I can tell there are no clear landmarks that can be described to someone who does not know where it is.

But if you park at the Basin, then those of us coming from the south have to drive further north in order to return south on 93, right? I like the Flume lot because I can head home directly afterwards, and the walking isn't bad because it's what I like to do.
I rarely use it for precisely this reason. I also park at the Flume lot and use the Bike Path rather than the Whitehouse Trail.

I have no idea where the trail originally went. The WMG describes it as:
At 0.4 miles it turns sharp right, joining the old main logging road from the former Whitehouse mill ...
Most of the shortcut is wide and is clearly an old logging road rather than an old trail.

We parked at the Basin and hiked (walked) the bike/snowmobile trail down the the "bushwhack" (Trip report Ed copied for you). It is very obvious
where the bw begins and has a log across the stream. We discussed a better bw might be from the Basin with more of a traverse with an uphill and possibly come out right about the Flume Slide junction. That will take some map studying and another year.
Ken

Tracks liberty lincoln flume lafayette 2011.jpgWe use the short cut last year from the North bound basin parking go south on bike trail about 0.2 to 0.3 mile. The GPS coordinates are N44 06.947 W71 40.872
The attached file the shortcut starts at the 001 Hiker and ends at the right hand turn on Liberty Spring Trail. Good Luck Jeff

Last edited:
Isn't that "shortcut" located where the trail went originally?
Doubtful. At one time both the LS and FS Trails started at the Flume, with the Whitehouse Trail starting from the Whitehouse Bridge parking area and connecting to LS. The park didn't like mixing paying customers with hikers so the Whitehouse Trail became the start of the LS Trail and the connector to FS Trail was built. The bike path and Basin NB parking lot were built with Parkway construction and the Whitehouse bridge parking lot closed.

It is very obvious
where the bw begins and has a log across the stream. We discussed a better bw might be from the Basin with more of a traverse with an uphill and possibly come out right about the Flume Slide junction. That will take some map studying and another year.
Yesterday the cutoff was tracked out but the log was too icy for many folks who just crossed the stream nearby.

At the FS jct, the logging road it turns R on also goes L, don't know if it goes uphill or downhill.

Flume Liberty Loop

After this thread, I parked at Basin at 7 a.m. Missed the bushwhack, it wasn't that obvious. I guess if you are looking for the log bridge, it might be easier to locate. But the main trail was only a short way further. Took Flume Slide trail, people had been up it the day before. Did Flume and Liberty. On the way down, finally saw the bushwhack at the hairpin and took it down.